As a web-developer you don’t have to re-invent the wheel all the time. If it just has to work, and has to be valid, and has to have a nice, visually appealing design hierarchy, you just can use css-techniques developed in the web-dev-community over the last few years. If you take a look around, you’ll find many templates, which include basic (X)HTML/CSS-markup.
You can start from there, learning and exploring the possibilities of CSS and modifying templates for your exquisite taste. Below you’ll find a list of resources which offer free, gorgeous and valid CSS-based templates – usually with images and full layout structure, such as headers, navigation bars, content containers, sidebars and footers.
Usually developers require a link to the site where the template was downloaded from. So before using these templates it might be useful to take a look at the license agreement the developer provides. Links checked: July/13 2010.
(X)HTML- and CSS-Templates
- Open Source Templates1
15 impressive templates
Hundreds of templates and layouts of all possible kinds.
A huge collections with search- and sort-functions. With annoying advertisement.
23 layouts and design solutions
Stu Nicolls presents dozens of free professional layouts. Sometimes a permission to use layouts is required.
Beautiful liquid 3-col-layout.
Seven variations of one template, incl. style guides as .pdf-files.
- Six Shooter Media8
- Yahoo! UI Library: Grids CSS9
A complex solution for many problems you might ever have: grid design is a principle well-known from image editors and layout tools.
- CSS Design Templates10
- ThreeColumnLayouts, by CSS Discuss11
Collection of 3-column-templates, gathered from a dozen of sources on the Web.
- CSS Intensivstation12
Small collection for personal web-sites
- CSS Frames Layouts14
Frames are also possible with CSS
98 (X)HTML-based CSS-templates
6 templates and various layouts with 2-4 columns.
- Jimmy Lin17
8 simple templates
- Layout Gala18
40 professional Layouts for fresh and serious online-presentations.
- Little Boxes19
16 Layouts, classic.
- 1 http://opensourcetemplates.org/
- 2 http://www.oswd.org/
- 3 http://www.oswt.co.uk/
- 4 http://maxdesign.com.au/presentation/page_layouts/
- 5 http://www.cssplay.co.uk/layouts/index.html
- 6 http://www.stuffandnonsense.co.uk/archives/changingman_layout.html
- 7 http://www.mollio.org/
- 8 http://www.sixshootermedia.com/free-templates/
- 9 http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/grids/#available-templates
- 10 http://templates.arcsin.se/
- 11 http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=ThreeColumnLayouts
- 12 http://www.intensivstation.ch/en/templates/
- 13 http://www.cssfill.com/
- 14 http://www.dynamicdrive.com/style/layouts/category/C11/
- 15 http://www.ex-designz.net/template/tempcat.asp?cat_id=13
- 16 http://www.code-sucks.com/free-css-templates/
- 17 http://www.jimmylin.info/templates.html
- 18 http://blog.html.it/layoutgala/
- 19 http://www.thenoodleincident.com/tutorials/box_lesson/boxes.html
- 20 http://www.solucija.com/home/css-templates/