We’ve chosen some of the most useful bookmarklets, written new ones and listed them below. You’ll find the source, from which a bookmarklet is copied or modified, or a detailed description of the snippets, in the brackets.
If you use many favelets, you might be willing to check out the Blummy Bookmarklet (The Bookmarklet Management Bookmarklet), a free tool for quick access to your favorite web services via your bookmark toolbar.
- Acronym & Abbreviation Finder to look up unknown abbreviations and acronyms.
- Amazon.com, Ebay.com enable to search for products with one click.
- Google Search Bookmarklet [sf], del.icio.us, Wikipedia.com can be used to look up for any information you might ever be interested in.
- Cddb.com, Discogs.com and Last.FM to look up CDs information, popular tracks bands, music styles etc.
- Internet Movie DataBase (IMDB), EPGuides.com deliver information about movies and TV-series.
- Google Translate [sf] translates from 5 languages to English (the language will be detected automatically).
- Oxford English Dictionary [kp] and Merriam-Webster Word Lookup (with audio samples) [XHTMLed] explains English words and terms.
- myBookmarklets is a collection of useful Bookmarklets you can use every day. You’ll find there all Google-Search-Bookmarks, Look-up-Bookmarklets in different encyclopedias and so called “Multi-Bookmarklets”, which enables you to retrieve the information you’re looking for from many sources – simultaneously and automatically.
Social Networks, Web 2.0, Online-Services
- BugMeNot delivers Login- and Password-data for services which require user registration and authentification.
- Check PageRank returns the PageRank of the page, you are visiting.
- Delicious: Super Fast Bookmarklet, Lazy Sheep For Del.icio.us and posticious let your store your bookmarks in del.icio.us instantly.
- Filext.com informs you about unknown data types and file extensions [wb].
- Flickr.com: instant search in Flickr.
- Microformats Bookmarklet helps to extract existing hCards and hCalendars and can show and store contacts and events on a given page.
- MultiSubmit bookmarks one page in 19 social networks – of course, if you are registered in them.
- Send To Flickr [vh]: to submit an image from a page to your personal Flickr-Fotostream, just select the image, click on the snippet and confirm your submission.
- Similicious lists similar pages to the page you are currently on.
- Technorati lets you explore what other users write or talk about in the blogosphere.
- TinyURL shortens your web address URL. [el]
- Video Bookmarklets lets you download YouTube- and Google-Video-files automatically.
- computed_styles lists the computed styles of an element and of its ancestors. [sf]
- list_classes lists classes used in the document. [sf]
- show_blocks draws borders to show tables (colors indicate nesting), paragraphs, and divs. [sf].
- test_styles type in CSS rules to experiment or to create a temporary user style sheet. [sf]. Alternative: edit_styles experiment with changes to the page’s style sheet. [sf].
- Color List Favelet creates a color palette which is used on a given page.
- Elements inspector offers the same functionality as Aardvark Firefox Extension; it shows the information about Div-Containers, Headers, Paragraphs etc. [Favlets.com]
- Layout Grid Bookmarklet creates a Grid-Overlay of the page; useful, i.e. if you want to calculate the layout size.
- SEO Bookmarklets is a collectino of 22 Favelets for SEO-analysis. It uses search engines, social networks and further services.
- Web Developer Favelets: 9 simple Favelets a web-developer will use on a daily basis.
- string2html converts strings to HTML-Entities [wzb].
- Finds and follows a link to a “print-friendly” version of a page [sf]
- click2zap removes elements from the page for printing (remove text/images to save paper/ink) or reading comfort purposes. [s. click2zap]
- Set Target-attribute of all links at “new” (open in new window) [Bookmarklets.com]
- Set Target-attribute of all links at “self” (open in current window) [Bookmarklets.com]
- Show all mailto-Links [bookmarklets.com]
- Hide visited Links [sf]
- Add sorting functionality to a table [sf]
- Search on a page for a keyword and highlight it [sf]; alternative: Highlighter.
- Show the data stored in the password fields [sf]
- To mark the links of a page and Create a pop-up-windows, which lists all links on a page [stichpunkt].
- Show all links as footnotes in printed version [askmefi].
- Jump to the parent-page (abc.com/archive/2006/ -> abc.com/archive) [sf]
- Jump to the top-level-page (abc.com/archive/2006 -> abc.com) [sf]
Tools for Bloggers
- Show the last archive copy of the current web-site [sf]
- Create HTML-Code with a link to the current page [sf]
- Send a link to the current web-page [wb]
- Send highlighted information from a web-site via e-mail – automatically [wb]
- Quote from a Blog copies selected text and pastes it automatically with via-Links in a pre-defined HTML-Code-Template. [b101]
- Creates the XHTML code to include the current image. [sf]
- Bookmarklet Crunchinator minimizes the size of bookmarklets and creates Oneline-Links, which are typical for Favelets.
- The Bookmarklet management bookmarklet (The Bookmarklet Management Bookmarklet), a free tool for quick access to your favorite web services via your bookmark toolbar.
- All the Bookmarklets! a huge bookmarklets collection, in which you’ll find everything you always wanted – or not wanted.
- Andy Budd’s Bookmarklets: Andy Budd’s personal choice.
- Francois Jordaan’s Bookmarklets: a popular collection with many links.
- Opera Bookmarklets and Phil Burns’ Collection presents Favelets for Opera Browser.
- Pixy: Let’s Favelets: a collection of Snippets for Web-Development, site presentation and Links functionality. Worth mentioning are List computed (cascaded) styles, Create comparing Windows and Window Resize Bookmarklets.
- Squarefree Bookmarklets: a catalog with hundrets of Favelets, with detailed description and in 16 categories.
- Tantek Favelets: a collection of Web-Design-Bookmarklets by web-guru Tantek Celik. Multivalidator and Microformats Bookmaklets.
- XHTMLed Bookmarklets: an enormous collection of useful Favelets.