Regardless of what it is that you’re selling, in order to remain competitive, you have to know exactly, what’s going on in the field you’re working in. More than that – actually, you have to know what happens next, which trends are coming up and which technologies will become big in the future. Achieving that is a solid foundation for successul development and right decisions at the right time.
What is right for business, is also right for online business. To catch up with the latest developments in design, development and web-related areas, it’s reasonable to read design/tech-related online-magazines. However, the choice is huge, and the quality of magazines isn’t always as good as you’d probably like it to be. Therefore decent references can be extremely useful, particularly if you don’t know where to start from.
This overview of over 40 established international design/tech-related sources is supposed to give you an overview of magazines you should read or at least scan from time to time. Some of the sources are well-known by (almost) everybody; hopefully not all of them.
2. A List Apart
4. Netdiver digital culture magazine + new media portal -> Feed your eyes
10. Vitamin – a resource for web developers, designers and entrepreneurs
11. Web Developer’s Journal – Tips on Web Page Design, HTML, Graphics and Development Tools
14. Hiveminds Magazine for web publishers and community builders
16. fadtastic: a multi-author web design trends journal
17. Web Design from Scratch – Free web design course – basics, layout, free tutorials, case studies, how to guides and examples
18. 9rules – Design Community: The best web content on design and a lot more.
20. graphicPUSH: News, articles and tutorials for print and web designers.
22. Design Observer: writings about design & culture
24. 24 ways
27. The FWA: Favourite Website Awards – Web awards at the cutting edge
Latest Trends in Web, Tech, Web 2.0
29. Read/Write Web
30. Wired News
32. Web 2.0 Explorer
33. Modern Life – News & Views of the Modern Internet
34. Solution Watch
User Experience, Usability
38. UXmatters: Insights and inspirations for the user experience community
Useful tips, references
News, with Tech/Design section
42. Digg Design