Online Converters

Online converters always come in handy. Once you need to perform some operation with your files, they can save your time achieving the same results online, without installing some specific software. In fact, there are many online tools, which convert formats, files and code snippets for free. Some of them are quite specific tools aimed for developers, but some are common “all-rounders”, which manage to convert almost every format to a more popular one. Using them, you can generate .pdf-documents out of images, images out of texts or RSS-feeds out of web-sites. You can also convert any audio- and video-files immediately – the results can be received via e-mail.

So what can you use? What should you use?

This overview of online-converters for users and developers might give you some useful starting points and improve your productivity.

“All-Rounders”

• Media-Convert
    Media-Convert can deal with many formats. Most important are Text, HTML, XHTML, Microsoft Word, RTF, PDF, PS, Open Office, Star Writer, CSV, dBase, Microsoft Excel, Pocket Excel, Lotus 123, Quattro Pro, Star Calc, Open Office, MathML, Open Office Formeln, Powerpoint. Besides: Video and Audio-formats.
  • txt2tags
    This tool generates HTML, XHTML, SGML, LaTeX, Lout, Man Page, MoinMoin, MagicPoint and PageMaker-documents out of a single plain text-file with minimal markup.
  • Zamzar
    Zamzar supports conversion between a wide variety of different file formats. Many conversion options, among them 11 document formats, 8 image formats, 9 audio formats and 12 video formats.
    Screenshot

Development

HTML & CSS

• Text to JavaScript
    If you’ve ever tried to make some normal text containing characters like ‘ into a JavaScript variable, you will know how frustrating it can be when you miss one, or you miss a or a line break or a tag. Well, let this script do it for you.
  • CSS HTML
    Converts CSS-code to HTML and HTML to CSS-Code.
    Screenshot
  • HTML2TXT
    Converts HTML in plain text.
  • HTML2Wiki
    Converts HTML to Wiki-Markup
  • HTML -> PHP, JavaScript, ASP
    This program let you convert your HTML in various scripting languages such as: HTML to PHP, HTML to Javascript and HTML to ASP
  • Draac.Com’s Html To Javascript
    Type or paste your Html codes into the text box below, then press the button and convert your Html coding to Javascript.
  • HTML to JavaScript Convertor
    This tool takes your markup and converts it to a series of document.write() statements that you can use in a block of JavaScript.

Graphics

Color

• Color converter
    Converts HEX-colors to RGB und RGB to HEX.
    Screenshot
  • HEX 2 RGB
    Converts HEX to RGB
  • Cs2Aco
    Converts Color Schemer Schemes to Photoshop Palettes.

PDF

• HTML 2 PDF
    Converts HTML and whole sites to PDF
  • Online PDF Converter
    You can generate plain text, .jpg-, .png-, .gif- or .tiff-images out of .pdf-files.
  • PDF Conversion
    PDF -> Text.
  • Show PDF
    PDF -> HTML.
  • PDF Online
    Converts MS Word (DOC), MS Publisher (PUB), MS Word (RTF), MS Excel (XLS), MS PowerPoint (PPT), HTML (MHT), MS PowerPoint (PPS), Text (TXT) and JPG, PNG, BMP, TIFF, WMF, EMF, GIF to PDF online. The .pdf-file is sent via e-mail.
    Screenshot

RSS

• Feed43
    Generates RSS-feeds out of web-sites
  • RSS2GIF
    This tool converts RSS-feeds to images.
  • RSS/RDF
    RSS -> JavaScript.
    Screenshot
  • RSSxl
    Converts web-sites to RSS 2.0.

Further converters

• X2V
    Converts hCard to vCard
  • CSV Converter
    Converts tables: from CSV to HTML or WikiMedia-format.
  • Excel to CSV
    Converts Excel-documents to CSV
  • Greasemonkey Compiler
    Converts Greasemonkey User-Scripts to Mozilla/Firefox Extensions.

[liveblog]

Co-Founder of Smashing Magazine. Former writer, web designer, freelancer and webworker. Sven is now writing Science Fiction Stories.

Wow… Very good!

I like these lists! Always helping us…

Скакунов Александр

April 10, 2007 4:52 am

Nice!
    I like the Zamzar now!

And new logo – looks awesome :)

Russell Heimlich

April 10, 2007 5:20 am

Why on Earth would you convert HTML to JavaScript? All it does is add document.writeln statements to each line. That’s boo-muck.

Vitaly Friedman & Sven Lennartz

April 10, 2007 6:30 am

Russell, if you write JavaScript-Code, you sometimes need to present HTML some way so that it is embedded in the JavaScript code. This converter does exactly that.

Great list, but what about HTML entities converters? Ideal for those who want to use special characters: http://www.w3clubs.com/htmlentities.php

As always, kudos.
    Definitely , i will add to my bookmarks :D

For unit and temperature conversions see http://01conversion.com

grrr I hate that media-convert is here :( It’s easy enough to find by search engines but I hate seeing things like that get high visibility since it seems to always mark their demise.

I love this tool for so may things but it can be abused and when they become abused theey seem to go away :(

Daniel Fisher(lennybacon)

April 10, 2007 3:54 pm

ASCII ART for all browsers and not only JPEG:

What about Image to Mosaic? (my friend made the generator)

Link: http://imagemosaicgenerator.click42.com/ :)

anyone knows how to convert hex colors to pantone?

vaovvv we can be converted everything :D

We run a great online converter from Microscopic Earthling on the sciencetext.com site, with it you convert between the common units such as feet and meters in length, area, mass, and volume as well as between some more obscure measurements such as the Canadian arpent and the South African morgen for instance. Eternally useful.

db

gr8pixel, to make a color that converts hex colors to Pantone requires paying to get the data from Pantone Corp. However, the data and cost are built into Photoshop and some other programs. To take advantage of this in Photoshop, open the color picker and select a color. Then click the “color libraries” button and the closest Pantone equivalent will be shown.

good resource

Feeling free to point to UITest.com’s references as well …

Search Engine Web

April 11, 2007 11:05 am

This is definitely a Bookmarker!

una raccolta molto utile, grazie

What’s with the comments that are merely repeats of this sites intro? And repeated?!

thanks adam!!!! :) i’ll try that.

OMG I think I love you. Why have I not found this site sooner! Great site. Great articles.

I need to convert a .dat file to a database (Access preferred). The only way i can do it now is to convert it to Excel and then to Access, but the file is too large for Excel to get it all.
    Can you help?

Here is a great find for me:

This free online tool will convert an html file with a style section in the head to an HTML file with inline styles.

This seems a bit backwords, but it is the format needed for sending Newsletters. This is because the EMail programs only recognize inline styles.

quieries eh? is that like a gay programmer?

Does annyone know how to convert pdf files into powerpoint files? The other way arround doens’t seem to be a problem.
    Thanks Michael

Vincent Clark

May 2, 2007 6:28 am

Please add to your list of PDF Online Converters Free PDF Converter I am sure you would not mind this sort of advertising since that is the purpose of this page.

More online tools can be found here

You don’t know how long I have been searching for such a site – and I was only looking for a couple of converters – THIS IS A GOLDMINE. You’ve converted me. Thank you, Thank you!

Very useful list. Thank You!

Himanshu Kapoor

June 27, 2007 6:16 pm

Thanks. I never knew that I can convert my Ms Word document into pdf free using pdfonline.com

talkativetaurus

June 28, 2007 9:10 pm

wow! this is really life saving!

but i dont think the list has online dat file converter..
    can someone help?

thanks.

Very useful blog.
    best regards

Steven Gerrard(Liverpool ledgend)

July 15, 2007 1:04 pm

zamzar is preety cool to convert small files like clips about myself! but i wish it would allow us to convert files which are larger than a 100MB….:’(
    then i could convert movies about myself proudly representing the glorious LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB!

i will add to my bookmarks

useful!
    i could convert many files now…
    thanks! :)
    i’m still finding *.wmv/ avi to *.asf converterss

How do I convert MIX files in JPEG files? Can somebody help me?

ASP 2 ASPX saved me months of work on one web app I upgraded.

I always like smashing magazine articles

Where is youconvertit.com

Did you try it, it is also an amzing tool better than zamzar since it gives you for free 300MB to upload.

Great info thanks. Here is easiest way to convert images: Image Converters

Do you know of a converter for PowerPoint to Flash?

How could you miss out all of the convertors at http://www.calcResult.com ?

I find this tool usefull too: http://home2.paulschou.net/tools/xlate/
    This translator encodes and decodes into text, bin, hex, base64, dec/char, message digest / checksum

Excelente ayuda, muchas gracias.

thanks for sharing, As a Mac user.I always use a pdf converter mac to make some convision. I only know a ipad converter mac to convert video,dvd to ipad, I am looking for a pdf to ipad converter.

You can’t imagine that how long I have been searching for such a conversion method. I always wish to convert MS PPT to PDF format before but failed, so I have to use the third-party application to convert PowerPoint to video.

it is very nice for sharing this great tool. this program really makes people’s life easier, coz you can watch your favorite dvd movie on ipad with the help of the program.
    i found cucusoft dvd to ipad converter also works great for converting dvd videos.

thanks for sharing such a great list

It sounds like quite a nice tool that can help users convert PowerPoint online, thanks for sharing such a good stuff! I will give it a try!

Before this, I was always using another cost-effective powerpoint-to-dvd.org/ppt-to-dvd-converter.html PowerPoint to DVD converter to convert my presentation to DVD format that can be played on any players; the use period of the trial version can be up to 30 days. But I found that it really works well.

yeah that sounds like great tool but will it be really fast?

It seems great, what kind of file does it support? mac ipad video converter can support almost any kind of dvd files.

Thank you that you can take your time from your busy scheduel, it is very kind of you to provide this precious information for us.
    PLUS : i find wondershare mac video converter is a pretty nice video conevert for video decoding on mac osx.

Georgina Nibbet

July 14, 2011 12:19 pm

Awesome software, pdfs are often really tough to work with. Another way to do this though would be to just go here where there are programs that will automatically turn excel sheets into pdfs.

The article is very helpful! Thank you, I’ll be sure to use your advice. Personally, I had some problems converting excel files over to PDF. Then I found this program at my work that quickly and painlessly converts my excel documents into pdf so I didn’t have to do it manually (which would end up taking aggravating hours upon hours). It provides my business a simple way to make individualized statements for our business associates. Check it out here.

Oh, good, but I don’t know a online converter whether safe, so I want to use RZ Video Converter which yahoo and google can search ,do you know it’s good?

If you are looking for documents converters from and to different formats like to PDF, to DOC(X), to EPUB, to FB2, you can try http://go4convert.com

What a great list. However by now I have used this PDF conversion software for converting my documents and its working great as well. But would surely love to give a try to the online ones listed here as well.

Nice list
    Maybe you can include the open-source http://html2pdf.it in the list?

Also I’m missing a converter that can convert JavaScript code to HTML with inline styles, so I can put it in an email.

There are a few other PDF tools online that could be useful.

A wonderful image tools website online.

Nemo PDF is really another wonderful PDF converter.