Family photos, vacation snapshots or creative artistic works: whatever images you have to present, you can present them in a variety of ways. On a big screen, in slide shows or in a thumbnails gallery. However, to convey the message of presented data effectively, it’s important to offer it in an attractive and intuitive way. Furthermore, the presentation itself can make images more valuable and simplify the browsing through hundreds of slides.
There are literally hundreds of solutions for web-based galleries out there. We’ve selected 30 scripts of impressive slideshows, lightboxes and galleries you can use for effective presentations of your images. Most of them don’t have any technical requirements, so you can use them right away. Let’s take a look.
Ajax Image Galleries & Lightboxes Link
- JonDesign’s SmoothGallery 3
- Ajax Photo Gallery5
The AJAX version of AgileGallery is a free AJAX photo gallery that rips through the XML output from Picasa (a free download from google) and generates DHTML for the paging and thumbnails and displays the full sized photos along with any description entered in Picasa. Since this photo gallery uses AJAX technology, it eliminates the need for any page refresh as the user pages through the photos.
Zenphoto is an answer to lots of calls for an online gallery solution that just makes sense. After years of bloated software that does everything and your dishes, zenphoto just shows your photos, simply. It’s got all the functionality and “features” you need, and nothing you don’t. Where the old guys put in a bunch of modules and junk, we put a lot of thought. We hope you agree with our philosopy: simpler is better.
- Couloir.org: Resizing, Fading Slideshow Demo – AJAX Slideshow11
- Grey Box12
A pop-up window that doesn’t suck. GreyBox can be used to display websites, images and other content in a beautiful way.
Lightbox JS is a simple, unobtrusive script used to overlay images on the current page. It’s a snap to setup and works on all modern browsers.
- Multifaceted Lightbox16
- Slightly ThickerBox 1.718
Slightly ThickerBox is a modification of Cody Lindley’s Thickbox script. I modified it for use on my Jason’s Toolbox Redesign. The modifications allow the script to generate “Previous Image” and “Next Image” links. The result is that you can use Slightly ThickerBox to create image galleries. In addition, you can create groups of galleries by setting a “rel” attribute on the links. (I also moved the Caption and Close link to the top and made the script case insensitive.)
- Slimbox, the ultimate lightweight Lightbox clone21
Slimbox is a 7kb visual clone of the popular Lightbox JS v2.022 by Lokesh Dhakar, written using the ultra compact mootools23 framework. It was designed to be small, efficient, more convenient and 100% compatible with the original Lightbox v2.
- Suckerfish HoverLightbox25
The Suckerfish HoverLightbox is a mashup of three very popular Web design techniques blended together to offer a new way of presenting your image galleries.
- Suckerfish HoverLightbox Redux27
The Redux has a number of improvements, mostly visual, but some behavioral changes as well. Before going into detail, it’s important to give due credit to those who helped make the Suckerfish HoverLightbox a possibility.
- ThickBox 2.1.128
CSS-Based Image Galleries Link
- A Photograph Gallery30
Just a simple :hover over thumbnail images to give a full size view of each photograph. With all but Opera you can also click the thumbnails to retain the image on the screen. Text can be added at the bottom of each picture. Ideal for photograph albums.
- A simple CSS photo-album32
The text numbers and images are held in an unordered list without any extra markup (no ’ems’ or ‘spans’ etc). The CSS just styles the text numbers so that they appears in a box and the images so that they are hidden until your visitor clicks a number square.
- Cross Browser Multi-Page Photograph Gallery33
Based on Suckerfish HoverLightbox this one uses my multi-page layout system but includes images instead of text. Unlike the Suckerfish HoverLightbox this version is pure CSS.
- CSS Image Gallery35
This is a purely CSS based image gallery that displays larger versions of thumbnail images dynamically when the mouse hovers over them. A rich HTML caption can be added to the enlarged image, and every aspect of the Image Gallery exists as plain HTML on the page. The idea is to use CSS’s “:hover” pseudo class to cause an element to react onMouseover. When that happens, an absolutely positioned container holding the enlarged image, anchored on the page by another container with position set to relative, is shown. Furthermore, it’s possible to modify the behavior so the enlarged images are only shown onClick, though IE6 currently doesn’t support this behavior well. The gallery works in IE6+, Firefox, Opera 8+.
- CSS: Photo Showcase37
This experiment uses CSS and basic markup to create a simple way to display photo thumbnails on your site while offering convenient fast zoom viewing, even for dialup users.
- Hoverbox Image Gallery39
Basically, it’s a super light-weight (8kb) roll-over photo gallery that uses nothing but CSS.
- Photo scroll gallery41
A combination of several of my previous galleries to give a scrolling ‘thumbnail’ image, a medium size image on hover and a full size image on click. The thumbnail, medium size and full size images are all the same image just resized using CSS. The thumbnails are square to make the scrolling area simpler to work with. This does make these images a little distorted but not so much that they look wrong.
- Sliding Photograph Galleries43
It is just an unordered list of images that are normally compressed vertically (reduction 8:1). When you hover over one of these compressed images it expands to full size. It is based on my sliding menu system and adapted to use images. No thumbnails are required and all the images are ‘pre-loaded’.This method can be used either vertically, as shown, or horizontally.
A DOM photo Gallery solution that is browser friendly, keyboard friendly, bandwidth friendly and more.
imagegal is a simple PHP script that will automagically create a JS/CSS/DHTML powered image gallery for you when dropped into a directory containing images. This simple script was inspired by a Jeremy Keith’s article on aListApart.com.
- Highslide JS50
Satellite is an all in one photo gallery website that takes advantage of Yahoo Flickr’s image hosting and management tools. You can upload and manage your images using Flickr and host your portfolio on your own server via Satellite.
- 1 http://minishowcase.frwrd.net/
- 2 http://minishowcase.frwrd.net/
- 3 http://smoothgallery.jondesign.net/showcase/gallery/
- 4 http://smoothgallery.jondesign.net/showcase/gallery/
- 5 http://www.agilegallery.com/ajax-photo-gallery.html
- 6 http://www.agilegallery.com/ajax-photo-gallery.html
- 7 http://fennecfoxen.org/pyxy/gallery
- 8 http://fennecfoxen.org/pyxy/gallery
- 9 http://www.zenphoto.org/
- 10 http://www.zenphoto.org/
- 11 http://www.couloir.org/js_slideshow/
- 12 http://orangoo.com/labs/GreyBox/
- 13 http://www.huddletogether.com/projects/lightbox2/#example
- 14 http://www.huddletogether.com/projects/lightbox2/
- 15 http://moofx.mad4milk.net/
- 16 http://www.gregphoto.net/lightbox/
- 17 http://www.gregphoto.net/lightbox/
- 18 http://www.jasons-toolbox.com/SlightlyThickerBox/
- 19 http://slideshow.triptracker.net/
- 20 http://slideshow.triptracker.net/
- 21 http://www.digitalia.be/software/slimbox
- 22 http://www.huddletogether.com/projects/lightbox2/
- 23 http://www.mootools.net/
- 24 http://www.digitalia.be/software/slimbox
- 25 http://mondaybynoon.com/2006/03/27/suckerfish-hoverlightbox/
- 26 http://mondaybynoon.com/2006/03/27/suckerfish-hoverlightbox/
- 27 http://mondaybynoon.com/2007/02/19/suckerfish-hoverlightbox-redux/
- 28 http://jquery.com/demo/thickbox/
- 29 http://jquery.com/demo/thickbox/
- 30 http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menu/gallery.html
- 31 http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menu/gallery.html
- 32 http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menu/photo_album.html#nogo
- 33 http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menu/lightbox.html#flower8
- 34 http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menu/lightbox.html#flower8
- 35 http://www.dynamicdrive.com/style/csslibrary/item/css-image-gallery/
- 36 http://www.dynamicdrive.com/style/csslibrary/item/css-image-gallery/
- 37 http://mikecherim.com/experiments/css_photo_showcase.php
- 38 http://mikecherim.com/experiments/css_photo_showcase.php
- 39 http://sonspring.com/journal/hoverbox-image-gallery
- 40 http://sonspring.com/journal/hoverbox-image-gallery
- 41 http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menu/photo_scroll.html#nogo
- 42 http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menu/photo_scroll.html#nogo
- 43 http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menu/gallery3l.html
- 44 http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menu/gallery3l.html
- 45 http://cross-browser.com/toys/img_gallery_2.php
- 46 http://cross-browser.com/toys/img_gallery_2.php
- 47 http://tjkdesign.com/articles/gallery/photo_gallery.asp
- 48 http://tjkdesign.com/articles/gallery/photo_gallery.asp
- 49 http://dasme.org/imagegal/
- 50 http://vikjavev.no/highslide/
- 51 http://vikjavev.no/highslide/
- 52 http://design.tedforbes.com/
- 53 http://www.dhonishow.de/