A thought-out domain name can save you a lot of time and bring you a lot of traffic. Search engines love topic-related domain names and they seem to be an important aspect which is being used to evaluate web-pages. Besides, if you have a popular web-site with enviable reputation, you might be willing to make sure that your visitors don’t get to some surprising web-sites mistyping your site’s URL.
An overview of related resources is therefore both useful, handy and time-saving. Apart from that: apparently, domain names handling can also be a successful business, you just need to know what trends are coming and which terms will be important in the future.
Let’s take a look at essential, hand-picked domain-related tools, articles and resources we’ve found in the Web during our research.
Search for Domain Names Link
- Picky Domains1
The community helps to select optimal domain names.
- Make Words2
A generator for Domain names
Finds free domain names combining two or more keywords.
Searches for domain names with max. 4 or 5 characters. There are still some interesting options available; however, there are no free domains with three characters any more.
- Domain Hack Search Utility6
Finds domains, which are the combination of exotic TLDs, directories und subdomains. For instance, http://smashin.gm/agazine/ (can be registered as a Gambian domain)
Finds expired CNO-Domains.8
- Word Mixer9
Mixes several words together, combining them to create new terms. Ideal for creative domain names.
Finds terms similar to English words. Once the domain you’ve chosen is already taken, you can use this tool to generate similar words.
- Domains Bot11
Looking for similar names.
Articles and Information Link
- Statistics about Domain Names13
Numbers and domain-related information.
- How To Get Started As A Domainer14
An extensive introduction for everyone who’d like to make business with domain names. Here are 28 tips, tools, techniques and financing options to get you started on your way to successful domaining.
- How to get in business with domains?15
About MySpace’s founder Richard Rosenblatt and his future business strategy. “His Companies Have Sold for Over $1.3 Billion: Can Demand Media’s Richard Rosenblatt Do It Again with Domains?”
- Establishing a Domain Portfolio16
Let’s get you started on establishing a domain portfolio that will secure your brand and generate revenue.
- The Directory of Domain Parking Services17
Domain parking directory.
- What’s in a name? A lot if it’s your domain18
An article about Cybersquatting, registering, trafficking in, or using a domain name with bad-faith intent to profit from the goodwill of a trademark belonging to someone else.
- Every good domain is taken. Here’s why19
Kevin Ham built a $300 million web company in Vancouver you’ve probably never heard of.
- 10 Tips for investing in Domain names20
An article by Mark Fulton
- Top 4 Lies Domainers Tell Themselves21
About Type-in traffic
- How Madison Avenue let down Corporate America and how both failed22
The real world of domains.
- Masters of their Domains23
Forget condos and strip malls. Domain names, the real estate of the Web, have been delivering far greater returns. How some of the savviest speculators on the Net are making millions from their URL portfolios.
- How to Snatch an Expiring Domain24
This article will explain the domain expiration process and what you need to do in order to use it to your advantage. An article by Mike Davidson.
- 10 things you MUST know before you register a domain name with anyone25
The essentials and basics of domain registering.
- Only 30% Of Top Domains Sold In 2006 Actually In Use26
The most expensive domains registered in 2006 and what they’ve become in 2007.
- Mysterious Domain Names with Ads
27Keep it generic and keep it in .COM. Making money with Domain Names.
Domain Tools Link
A powerful word-mixer. You can enter up to 15 words in each prefix/suffix column, then combine them into a big list of potential names. Then check them all at once to see if any are still available.
Over a dozen of Tools, e.g. Domain Spy, Name Server Spy, Reverse IP Search, Whois and Typo Generator30. The registration is required.
Whois domain name search & lookup.
33DNS tools, DNS hosting tests, WHOIS, traceroute, ping and other network and domain name tools.
Estimating Domain Name Value, History, Stats Tool and Forums.
- Reverse IP DNS Domain Check Tool35
Finds domains that share server with you; such domains have the same IP.
Domain-related Forums and Communities Link
- Domain State36
- DN Forum37
- IDN Forum40
(a forum for international domain names)
Domain-related Magazines and Weblogs Link
- DN Journal41
The Domain Industry News Magazine.
- Domain Tools Blog42
- Daily Domainer43
- Seven Mile44
Domains category in in Frank Schillings’ popular Weblog.
- Domain Editorial45
- Domainers Gazette46
- Names@Work 47
Antony Van Couverings Webblog
- Rick Schwartz’ Weblog48
Domain King’s thoughts on domains, traffic, closing more sales and just plain old business and marketing 101.
Domain name optimisation blog by Michael Gilmour.
- The Key
Paul Sloans Blog
- 1 http://www.pickydomains.com/
- 2 http://www.makewords.com/
- 3 http://www.nameboy.com
- 4 http://www.nameboy.com
- 5 http://www.dyyo.com/
- 6 http://xona.com/domainhacks
- 7 http://www.stuckdomains.com/
- 8 http://www.stuckdomains.com/
- 9 http://unique-name.perceptus.ca/word-mixer.php
- 10 http://www.rhymezone.com/
- 11 http://www.domainsbot.com/
- 12 http://www.domainsbot.com/
- 13 http://webhosting.info/
- 14 http://www.avivadirectory.com/domain/
- 15 http://www.dnjournal.com/cover/2007/april.htm
- 16 http://www.websitemagazine.com/content/blogs/posts/articles/Establishing_a_Domain_Portfolio.aspx
- 17 http://www.namemonetizer.com/
- 18 http://www.ft.com/cms/s/82e8f6a0-d180-11db-b921-000b5df10621.html
- 19 http://www.niallkennedy.com/blog/archives/2007/05/domain-squatting.html
- 20 http://www.dotsauce.com/2007/05/08/domain-investing-tips/
- 21 http://tropicalseo.com/2007/top-4-lies-domainers-tell-themselves/
- 22 http://www.ricksblog.com/my_weblog/2007/04/how_madison_ave.html
- 23 http://money.cnn.com/magazines/business2/business2_archive/2005/12/01/8364591/index.htm
- 24 http://www.mikeindustries.com/blog/archive/2005/03/how-to-snatch-an-expiring-domain
- 25 http://www.domainwarning.com/
- 26 http://www.dailydomainer.com/200722-only-30-of-top-domains-sold-in-2006-actually-in-use.html
- 27 http://blog.domaintools.com/2007/04/mysterious-domain-names-with-ads/
- 28 http://www.dotomator.com/
- 29 http://www.domaintools.com/
- 30 http://www.domaintools.com/domain-typo/?free=yes
- 31 http://www.domaintools.com/
- 32 http://www.allwhois.com/
- 33 http://www.dnsstuff.com/
- 34 http://www.dnscoop.com/
- 35 http://www.seologs.com/ip-domains.html
- 36 http://www.domainstate.com/
- 37 http://www.dnforum.com/
- 38 http://www.acorndomains.co.uk/
- 39 http://www.namepros.com/
- 40 http://www.idnforums.com/
- 41 http://www.dnjournal.com/
- 42 http://blog.domaintools.com/
- 43 http://www.dailydomainer.com/
- 44 http://frankschilling.typepad.com/my_weblog/domain_names_domains/index.html
- 45 http://www.domaineditorial.com/
- 46 http://www.domainersgazette.com/
- 47 http://www.namesatwork.com/blog/
- 48 http://www.ricksblog.com/
- 49 http://www.ambler.net/