You never really know who is going to visit your website next. You have no idea which configuration will be used, what browser will be installed, which screen resolution will be in use. However, since you’d like to comfort most of your web users, you need to know their habits and the profile of your average visitor — to adapt the design and layout to your users’ needs.
Nothing is more valuable than the statistics you’ve collected with an analytics tool installed on your website; however particularly in the beginning of a new project it’s nice to have some good idea of what kind of configuration your visitors will probably use.
In this post we’d like to present the results from recent studies of browser market share, used OS and preferred screen resolution worldwide. Please notice that this data is only an approximation; we’ve used a number of different sources to get the average numbers we present below. Besides, statistics always depends on the readership and the topic of your project.
An average web user browses with Internet Explorer 6.0 on Windows XP with the screen resolution 1024×768.
8 Facts You Should Know
- The most popular browser worldwide is IE 6.0 (46.1% – 50%).
IE 7’s popularity grows (20.18% – 22% – 33%4), Firefox has 25.5%, Safari 2.0 has 1.77%, Opera 9.x only 1.23%.
- The most used screen resolution worldwide is 1024×768 (49.2%).
1280×1024 (17.22%) and 1280×800 (9.51%) gain popularity. 800×600 is used by 8% of the visitors.
- The most popular OS is Windows XP (79% – 83%).
Windows Vista is used by 7.38% of visitors, Mac OS by 3.38%.
[MarketShare by NetApplications9]
- The most popular browser family worldwide is IE (64 – 81%).
Within the last year, Microsoft’s Internet Explorer browser dropped 9.6 percentage points to a market share of 63.9 percent. Firefox’s market share is 14.88% – 17.4%, Safari’s 5.07%. Opera is used only by 0.87% – 1.87% of world-wide users.
[Hitslink10, Browser Market Share White Paper11]
- The most popular browser in Europe is IE 6.x (45.7%).
Popular in Europe: IE 7.x (31.4%), Firefox (15.5% – 27.8%), Mozilla (3.9%), Apple Webkit (1.6%).
Firefox market share in Europe:
- Internet Explorer’s usage is higher in Asia and lower in Europe. For example, the share is around 94% in Japan18, and around 56% in Germany19. [Wikipedia: IE20]
- The most popular browser in Russia is IE 6 (56.3%).
IE 7 has the market share of 14.1%, Opera – almost 12%, Firefox 2 has 9% – 11.9%. [LiveInternet.ru21, Yandex22]
- Tech-related websites have more Firefox users.
On WordPress.com23 among 115 million users 62.46% of users use Internet Explorer, 31% use Firefox, 3.383% use Safari, 1.78% use Opera. Among Internet Explorer users 64.10% use IE 6, 35.17% use IE 7.
- 1 http://www.456bereastreet.com/archive/200704/poll_results_504_of_respondents_maximise_windows/
- 2 http://www.456bereastreet.com/archive/200704/poll_results_504_of_respondents_maximise_windows/
- 3 http://www.456bereastreet.com/archive/200704/poll_results_504_of_respondents_maximise_windows/
- 4 http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,135556/article.html
- 5 http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php
- 6 http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php
- 7 http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php
- 8 http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php
- 9 http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=2
- 10 http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=3
- 11 http://www.e-janco.com/browser.htm
- 12 http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=0&qpmr=15&qpdt=1&qpct=3&qptimeframe=M&qpsp=104
- 13 http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=0&qpmr=15&qpdt=1&qpct=3&qptimeframe=M&qpsp=104
- 14 http://www.adtech.info/en/pr-07-18.html
- 15 http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070717-europeans-embrace-firefox-in-record-numbers.html
- 16 http://www.adtech.info/en/pr-07-18.html
- 17 http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070717-europeans-embrace-firefox-in-record-numbers.html
- 18 http://www.websidestory.com/products/web-analytics/datainsights/spotlight/05-10-2005.html
- 19 http://www.onestat.com/html/aboutus_pressbox44-mozilla-firefox-has-slightly-increased.html
- 20 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Explorer
- 21 http://www.liveinternet.ru/stat/ru/browsers.html?period=month
- 22 http://stat.yandex.ru/stats.xml?ReportID=2857&ProjectID=0
- 23 http://www.wordpress.com
- 24 http://www.spreadfirefox.com/