The main advantage of excellent typography lies in its ability to be both attractive and functional at the same time. Although images communicate more vividly, text presentation can impress visitors with its sharpness and precise geometrical forms and curves. Consequently, chosen wisely and used carefully, it can be very effective — and there are dozens of outstanding examples1 of how the latter can be achieved.
However, web typography doesn’t have to support the overall design. It can dominate. It can be loud. It can be bold. And it can be everywhere on a web-site. In many situations it’s reasonable to give the typography the prominent position it deserves, leaving visual cues in the background or removing them at all. Doing that, you have to risk large font sizes surrounded by a generous amount of white space. What comes out of it? Elegant web sites with a unique form, style and sense of precision.
In this article we present over 35 examples of big, “loud” and yet elegant typography in web design; some listed designs are Flash-based, and in some cases designs are based not only upon typography, but also upon some visual elements.
- You might be interesting in the showcase of simple and clean designs2 we’ve published before.
- Please notice that all images can be clicked and lead to the sites from which the screenshots have been taken.
The Showcase Of BIG Typography
- 1 http://ilovetypography.com/2007/09/19/15-excellent-examples-of-web-typography/
- 2 http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2007/03/26/keep-it-simple-stupid-showcase-of-simple-and-clean-designs/
- 3 http://www.hugeinc.com/
- 4 http://www.tanoshism.com/flash.htm
- 5 http://www.circa1979.com/
- 6 http://www.ff0000.com/
- 7 http://www.blogactionday.org/
- 8 http://www.ilovetypography.com
- 9 http://www.bd4d.com/
- 10 http://www.l2m3.com/
- 11 http://www.preview.co.uk
- 12 http://www.iamalwayshungry.com/
- 13 http://markoff.pl/
- 14 http://www.influxideasconference.com/conference/agenda.do
- 15 http://madinspain.com/
- 16 http://www.sectionseven.com
- 17 http://www.antiantinyc.com
- 18 http://www.wearitwithpride.com/
- 19 http://www.martinkonrad.com.au/
- 20 http://www.davorvaneijk.com/
- 21 http://www.ilkilkilk.com/
- 22 http://www.takeshape.it/
- 23 http://www.designersinhouse.com/
- 24 http://www.urbaneye.com/artforlife/
- 25 http://www.typocircle.co.uk/
- 26 http://www.culturaldomain.com/
- 27 http://www.bowwowlondon.com/
- 28 http://www.artless.gr.jp/
- 29 http://www.designershock.com/
- 30 http://www.urbaneye.com/artforlife/
- 31 http://mypropaganda.co.uk/
- 32 http://www.mostardesign.com/
- 33 http://www.posttypography.com/
- 34 http://www.pnmnl.com/