- January 28th, 2008
- 36 Comments
Graphics doesn’t need to be static or fixed: it can float, jump, fly, dance around and transform in different forms. Once you set visual elements in motion, you can achieve stunning results which would be far too difficult to achieve otherwise. And in fact, there are a number of stunning examples of how this can be done.
The so-called motion graphics is often used in ad spots, music videos and movies. However, sometimes it can also be used for data visualization or live installations (e.g. on buildings). In all these cases designers have a huge space to explore their creativity.
In this post we present some excellent examples of videos in which graphics are set in motion. In most videos graphics dominates, but it can also support the content.
You might want to take a closer look
- at the category Monday Inspiration1 where we’ve covered some graphic motion works over the last months,
- and particularly at the article Typography in Motion2 which describes what effects can be achieved once the letters are set in motion.
All links lead directly to Quicktime-versions of the videos which is why you might need some traffic to load them. These pieces simply don’t deserve to be watched in low-quality on YouTube.
Graphics In Motion
Feet Want Out3
Well, that’s pretty colorful. You don’t have to be shrooming to experience mind bending psychedelicalness. See what the world looks like through the perspective of a day dreaming foot. Interesting concept, excellent execution.
“Design-infused storytelling. We wanted to portray the struggles between conformity and individuality; the games we play in our own minds; being a pawn in society. The artistry ultimately stems from taking two contrary things and making a third something from their collision.”
Unique, beautiful and yet so simple. A story of two birds in this advertising spot for Motley Bird.
We Work For Them Installation
A graphic motion piece prepared for the We Work For Them promo.
Art Connects spot18
4 independently moving screens comprise to make one large canvas in the plaza — a commons that is the gathering place for all ages. Reflecting its context the pieces are about imagination as portrayed by art and music, core experiences that connect us all.
Excellent use of 3D in this 60-second advertising spot for Smirnoff.
Sources and Resources
- 1 http://www.smashingmagazine.com/category/monday-inspiration/
- 2 http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2007/11/19/monday-inspiration-typography-in-motion/
- 3 http://threeleggedlegs.com/repertoire/havaianas/
- 4 http://threeleggedlegs.com/repertoire/havaianas/
- 5 http://plusetplus.com/DOUBLEE/SONAKA/Sonaka_Delivery_540_web.mov
- 6 http://plusetplus.com/DOUBLEE/SONAKA/Sonaka_Delivery_540_web.mov
- 7 http://wemakeitgood.com/article/live/the-war
- 8 http://wemakeitgood.com/article/live/the-war
- 9 http://www.motionographer.com/media/jonas_odell/the_hours.mov
- 10 http://motionographer.com/2007/06/19/jonas-odell-the-hours/
- 11 http://www.motionographer.com/media/jonas_odell/the_hours.mov
- 12 http://www.peliculasponder.com/2004/content/directors/gi_01.htm
- 13 http://www.peliculasponder.com/2004/content/directors/gi_01.htm
- 14 http://www.natl.tv/
- 15 http://www.natl.tv/
- 16 http://www.matoatom.net/work/img/projects/clips/siemens.mov
- 17 http://www.matoatom.net/work/img/projects/clips/siemens.mov
- 18 http://superfad.com/player.php?project=25&item=68
- 19 http://superfad.com/player.php?project=25&item=68
- 20 http://www.coloribus.com/files/paedia/reel/part_51/510077/file/samaritans-vectorscope.mov
- 21 http://www.coloribus.com/files/paedia/reel/part_51/510077/file/samaritans-vectorscope.mov
- 22 http://www.adamgault.com/lanternfish/lanternfish_01.html
- 23 http://www.adamgault.com/lanternfish/lanternfish_01.html
- 24 http://www.pandapanther.com/zuneQT.html
- 25 http://www.pandapanther.com/zuneQT.html
- 26 http://motionographermedia.com/psyop/guinness_dot.mov
- 27 http://motionographer.com/2008/01/11/guinness-dot/
- 28 http://motionographermedia.com/psyop/guinness_dot.mov
- 29 http://www.beam.tv/beamreels/reel_player.php?jqbvsptxVy&resize=1
- 30 http://www.beam.tv/beamreels/reel_player.php?jqbvsptxVy&resize=1
- 31 http://www.flight404.com/blog/?p=52
- 32 http://www.flight404.com/blog/?p=52
- 33 http://www.mographwiki.net
- 34 http://mograph.net/board/index.php?s=03fa4e25236eb34c205ba0605b701d2e&showtopic=14279
- 35 http://www.boardsmag.com/screeningroom/