Every now and again we take a look around, select “fresh” high-quality free fonts and present them to you in a brief overview. The choice is enormous, so the time you need to find them is usually the time you should be investing in your current projects. We search for them and we find them, so you don’t have to.
This month we’d like to present you Newcastle, Anziano, Sovereign and Inconsolata. Please read the license agreements carefully before using the fonts — they can change from time to time.
You can find over 150 more high-quality fonts in
- the article 40 Excellent Free Fonts For Professional Design1,
- the article 80 Beautiful Typefaces For Professional Design2,
- and in our section Fonts3.
Free Fonts Of The Month Link
The link was removed due to copyright infringement.
Freefont.de released Newcastle as the “Free font of the month”. Newcastle is available as TrueType format and PostScript Type 1 format for PC and PostScript Type 1 for Mac.
Diavlo6 (new release)
Jos Buivenga has released an improved version of his font Diavlo. The new release contains 5 weights: Light, Book, Medium, Bold and Black. Among new features are the extended language support (Latin, Central European, Croatia, Romanian, Icelandic, Turkish and Esperanto are now supported), improved glyph shapes (such as S, s, W, w, f, t, diactitics, fractions etc.) and extended kerning (over 3.200 kerning pairs).
Sovereign is a distinctive font from Nick Cooke’s G-Type foundry. Serif Caps and semi-serif lower case characters make for an unusual blend but one which works well, particularly at larger display sizes. Tapered stems and calligraphically influenced serifs give plenty of movement and character. Mac PostScript and PC TrueType.
Inconsolata is a monospace, humanist sans design. Some details will be most apparent in print, such as the subtle curves in lowercase “t”, “v”, “w”, and “y”. Inconsolata also borrows “micro-serifs” from some Japanese Gothic fonts, which enhance the appearance of crispness and legibility. Available in the OpenType-format.
- 1 http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2007/11/08/40-excellent-freefonts-for-professional-design/
- 2 http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2007/08/08/80-beautiful-fonts-typefaces-for-professional-design/
- 3 http://www.smashingmagazine.com/category/fonts/
- 4 http://www.fontshop.com/freefonts/
- 5 http://www.fontshop.com/freefonts/
- 6 http://www.josbuivenga.demon.nl/diavlo.html
- 7 http://www.josbuivenga.demon.nl/diavlo.html
- 8 http://www.type.co.uk/index.php?p=FreeFonts
- 9 http://www.type.co.uk/index.php?p=FreeFonts
- 10 http://www.levien.com/type/myfonts/inconsolata.html
- 11 http://www.levien.com/type/myfonts/inconsolata.html