Print and Web are different. Traditional layout techniques from print, particularly an advanced formatting, aren’t applicable to the Web as CSS doesn’t offer sophisticated instruments to design such layouts (e.g. text floating around an embedded image; some “floating” techniques provide such results, however they produce bloated source code just as well).
At the same time the flexibility of the Web is hardly applicable to print as there is no way to customize a traditional periodical for reader’s convenience. Apart from that, online-reading is very different from offline-reading: in the latter both leading and the line length are usually much shorter.
However, there are a number of fundamental principles which are often being used in both media. Over the last years newspapers and web-sites started to apply similar principles of data presentation, such as the heavy use of white space1 and grid-based design2. The results can sometimes be very similar, but often they have almost nothing at common.
This issue of monday inspiration series is supposed to provide you with some examples of outstanding newspaper designs which have been rewarded with prestigious awards (see references at the bottom of this post), and demonstrate unusual approaches of newspaper design.
Please notice that
- you might want to take a look at the article Data Visualization and Infographics3 we’ve presented previously,
- all images are clickable and lead to the sources from which they’ve been taken.
El Economista (Madrid, Spain) Link
El Economista4 uses a very traditional, subtle and unique newspaper layout. Notice how well the typography reflects the weight of single articles. Infographics support the content and headlines are surrounded by huge amount of whitespace.
Äripäev (Tallinn, Estonia) Link
Äripäev8‘s signature is the heavy use of typography. The layout may sometimes seem overcrowded, however the packaging is always clean, simple to digest and easy to read. Note the difference in weights of colors: color, grey and red are applied carefully and sparingly.
De Morgen (Belgium) Link
De Morgen12 focuses on attractive packaging and a visually appealing layout. Vivid colors offer readers more eye-candy; however, they also have a function as they e.g. clearly separate quotations from the overall article. Headlines are centered, background-colors differ from page to page.
Politiken (Copenhagen, Denmark) Link
The Rzeczpospolita (Warsaw, Poland) Link
The Rzeczpospolita19 displays its conservatism in a traditional, conservative layout. No fancy images, no vivid background colors in use. The content dominates and helps the layout to gain a rather traditional look.
Le Monde (Paris, France) Link
Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung (Frankfurt, Germany) Link
…so does the Frankfurter Allgemeine Sonntagszietung27: the excerpts are distributed uniformly which gives the page a clear and easy-to-read and easy-to-scan structure. It’s not always possible, though.
Expresso (Portugal) Link
The Guardian (London, UK) Link
The Guardian34 has recently finished its redesign. Result: more vivid colors and more vivid blocks. However, the legibility and the sharpness of presentation don’t suffer. A nice example of how multiple colors can be used not destroying the balance between visual appeal and legibility.
Dubai Express (Dubai, United Arab Emirates) Link
Dubai Express39 is another example of colorful yet legible layout design. The layout has 10 colors on one single page, used in different contexts in different colors. Note the sharpness of typography and use of capital letters on the front page. In this case color is definitely appropriate as the newspaper’s main topic is entertainment.
Mint (India) Link
St. Louis Post-Dispatch (US) Link
St. Louis Post-Dispatch46 (US) isn’t a boulevard-newspaper, but a local regional magazine. The layout has a clear content hierarchy and a very simple structure. Huge amount of whitespace: waste of space or a clever technique to focus readers’ attention on the main topics?
Hartford Courant (US) Link
The Hartford Courant48 is a standout in the American newspaper market. The newspaper distinguishes itself with an enduring elegance in design and typography. Though conservative in their approach, designers engage readers with the bold use of visuals. The contrast between their quiet, understated style and the gutsy photography and illustrations create a tension that captures the attention of readers.
Resources and Further References Link
- Society of News Design51
Every year The Society for News Design selects “World’s Best-Designed Newspapers”.
Weblog about newspaper design.
Newspagedesigner.com was started in order to give news designers of all levels and locations a chance to share their work and ideas, a chance to get feedback and a chance to get noticed.
The Newseum displays these daily newspaper front pages in their original, unedited form. Some front pages may contain material that is objectionable to some visitors. Viewer discretion is advised.
- The News Design Flickr Pool56
This site showcases the best newspaper front pages across the globe.
The European Newspaper Design Award.
- 1 http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2007/01/12/white-space-and-simplicity-an-overview/
- 2 http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2007/04/14/designing-with-grid-based-approach/
- 3 http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/01/14/monday-inspiration-data-visualization-and-infographics/
- 4 http://www.snd.org/snd28/worldsbest/El%20Economista.html
- 5 http://www.snd.org/snd28/worldsbest/El%20Economista.html
- 6 http://www.snd.org/snd28/worldsbest/El%20Economista.html
- 7 http://www.snd.org/snd28/worldsbest/El%20Economista.html
- 8 http://www.snd.org/snd28/worldsbest/Aripaev.html
- 9 http://www.snd.org/snd28/worldsbest/Aripaev.html
- 10 http://www.snd.org/snd28/worldsbest/Aripaev.html
- 11 http://www.snd.org/snd28/worldsbest/Aripaev.html
- 12 http://www.newsdesigner.com/archives/002661.php
- 13 http://www.newsdesigner.com/archives/002661.php
- 14 http://www.newsdesigner.com/archives/002661.php
- 15 http://www.newsdesigner.com/archives/002661.php
- 16 http://www.snd.org/snd28/worldsbest/Politiken.html
- 17 http://www.snd.org/snd28/worldsbest/Politiken.html
- 18 http://www.snd.org/snd28/worldsbest/Politiken.html
- 19 http://www.snd.org/best27/rzeczpospolita.html
- 20 http://www.snd.org/best27/rzeczpospolita.html
- 21 http://www.snd.org/best27/rzeczpospolita.html
- 22 http://www.snd.org/best27/rzeczpospolita.html
- 23 http://www.newsdesigner.com/archives/002113.php
- 24 http://www.newsdesigner.com/archives/002113.php
- 25 http://www.newsdesigner.com/archives/002113.php
- 26 http://www.newsdesigner.com/archives/002113.php
- 27 http://www.snd.org/snd28/worldsbest/Frankfurter%20Allgemeine%20Sonntagszeitung.html
- 28 http://www.snd.org/snd28/worldsbest/Frankfurter%20Allgemeine%20Sonntagszeitung.html
- 29 http://www.snd.org/snd28/worldsbest/Frankfurter%20Allgemeine%20Sonntagszeitung.html
- 30 http://www.snd.org/snd28/worldsbest/Frankfurter%20Allgemeine%20Sonntagszeitung.html
- 31 http://www.newsdesigner.com/archives/002113.php
- 32 http://www.newsdesigner.com/archives/002113.php
- 33 http://www.newsdesigner.com/archives/002113.php
- 34 http://www.snd.org/best27/Guardian.html
- 35 http://www.snd.org/best27/Guardian.html
- 36 http://www.snd.org/best27/Guardian.html
- 37 http://www.snd.org/best27/Guardian.html
- 38 http://www.snd.org/best27/Guardian.html
- 39 http://www.newsdesigner.com/archives/002735.php#more
- 40 http://www.newsdesigner.com/archives/002735.php#more
- 41 http://www.newsdesigner.com/archives/002735.php#more
- 42 http://www.newsdesigner.com/archives/002735.php#more
- 43 http://www.newsdesigner.com/archives/002677.php
- 44 http://www.newsdesigner.com/archives/002677.php
- 45 http://www.newsdesigner.com/archives/002677.php
- 46 http://www.bestfrontdesign.com/011307.html
- 47 http://www.bestfrontdesign.com/011307.html
- 48 http://www.newsdesigner.com/archives/002113.php
- 49 http://www.newsdesigner.com/archives/002113.php
- 50 http://www.newsdesigner.com/archives/002113.php
- 51 http://www.snd.org
- 52 http://www.newsdesigner.com/archives/2007_02.php
- 53 http://www.newspagedesigner.com/
- 54 http://www.newseum.org/todaysfrontpages/
- 55 http://www.innovationsinnewspapers.com/
- 56 http://www.flickr.com/groups/newsdesign/pool/
- 57 http://www.bestfrontdesign.com/
- 58 http://www.newspaperaward.org/
- 59 http://www.flickr.com/photos/wcouch/101341897/in/pool-newsdesign/