Fresh, Free and Gorgeous RSS/Feed Icons

We love high-quality freebies. Over the last years we’ve featured a number of designers and developers who released their work for free — among other things we presented high-quality free fonts, free WordPress themes, free wallpapers and, of course, free icons.

Every release helps to make the Web a nicer place which is why we support designers and challenge them to release something for free in order to be featured on Smashing Magazine. And the results are quite often pretty impressive.

Smashing Icon Set

Today we are glad to release a free RSS/Feed icon set. The set contains 8 icons which you can use for private and commercial projects, blogs and web-sites for free. The icons are available for both Mac and Win-users in resolutions 16×16px, 24×24px, 32×32px, 48×48px, 128×128px, 256×256px and 512×512px.

This icon set was designed by Dirceu Veiga from Brazil especially for Smashing Magazine as a gift for its readers.

Download RSS/Feed Icons For Free!

You can use the icons for private and commercial projects, blogs and web-sites for free. However, please take a closer look at the license agreement — e.g. it’s forbidden to sell the icons and in order to use them, the designer asks for a backlink.

Smashing Icon Set

Motivation behind the design

Dirceu Veiga is the creative mind behind FastIcon. We’ve featured Dirceu’s icons in our previous posts and we’ve asked him to design a creative, funny and beautiful icon set for our readers. He agreed. Here are some insights from the designer himself:

Who has something to say naturally wants to be heard and in the Web the feed icon is one of the most important instruments to keep readers’ focus on what we are saying. But, does a feed really matter if no one subscribes to it? Right here lies the challenge for designers: how do you attract more subscribers for your feed?

Trying to help to solve that dilemma I decided to create more illustrative and flashy feed icons. FastIcon’s Smashing Feeds Set with 8 attractive icons certainty won’t pass unperceived in your site or weblog.

No, I’m not ignoring the several years of the effort of web-communities to establish the standard feed icon. And respecting that whole hard work I had the concern of maintaining the orange as a dominant color. Apart from orange, the most frequent color used in the set is gray, a neutral color. Thus I strongly believe that the icons will be as easily recognizable as standard feed icons.

I hope you’ll enjoy those icons.

Dirceu Veiga

Thank you, Dirceu!

Please notice: we’re regularly looking for creative designers and artists. You may not know it yet, but we might feature you in one of our upcoming posts.

Vitaly Friedman loves beautiful content and doesn’t like to give in easily. Vitaly is writer, speaker, author and editor-in-chief of Smashing Magazine. He runs responsive Web design workshops and loves solving complex problems in large companies. Get in touch.

Sebastian Kessler

April 1, 2008 7:54 am

thanks a lot, already used th cup of rss in my blog:

Wow, I must admit those are some great icons. But I still have to wonder if they’ll effectively scale to 16x16px.

Very nice. I’m trying to find the April fools in this post! :P

I have to admit I don’t really see the other three icons transferring the idea of RSS, but, boy, do I love the little guy reading the RSS paper. Excellent work.

Going Like Sixty

April 1, 2008 8:31 am

Damn. I’m just having a ball using the stuff you have offered. Even though it doesn’t fit my design – I used it anyway! I know. I know. But that’s the advantage we un-designers have over designers.

I’m still on the hunt for Steampunk icons. hint. hint.

leszek pietrzak

April 1, 2008 9:02 am

This little guy reading the paper – awesome idea :-)

Beautiful icons. Excelent work, boys.

Very cool indeed!

I love it. The guy with the paper in particular, but they’re all good.

The guy reading the paper looks like he’s sitting on the toilet.

Cool & Nice icons))) Thanks…))))

I’m using the mug of RSS icon on my blog. Thanks again Smashing Magazine!

I cannot figure out how to use the icon for my rss feed. I tried to upload the image to my media gallery, which turns into a zip file, but then what? How do I get it as a widget in my sidebar?

Thanks for the nice icons!

Nice, if anyone have more: please mail to me: blametome1@gmx.de

I love the billboard one! When I find a use I’ll definitely try that one :)

Nice collection – thanks for posting.

One Winged Angel

April 2, 2008 12:53 am

Very cute!! :D

good job. i like it.

Awesome icons, I love !

I agree to that.

Amazing Icon Set! I especially like the RSS Newspaper ;)

Great stuff!

Tyler @ Building Camelot

April 2, 2008 12:12 pm

Love the coffee cup! Thanks for the links

Joefrey Mahusay

April 2, 2008 6:59 pm

Really nice RSS icons

using the coffee cup. thanks for sharing!

Hello, I’m a Jack, and my spin on the RSS icon is a love/hate thing, these new icons are awesome to the artistic side of my brain. However to break too far from the norm may not be as helpful for sites that aren’t already well traveled. My reason is this, the orange icon is, well, an Icon to RSS lifestyle, people who aren’t even Internet savvy can understand that it gives them updates to that sites news or articles. To differentiate from that format could be harmful to new sites or startups, remember that standards are not just for code, an iconic symbol as important as a feed cannot just be tossed around willy nilly.

And please don’t think that I’m bashing your article, I’m not. I love Smashing Magazine and these new feed icon alternatives are “HOTT” as the kids say, just wanted to get a point out. Keep up the good work!

These icons are sweet.

Naseer Ahmad Mughal

April 5, 2008 1:17 am

Thanks for these buttons.

Thanks guys, i have started use Newspaper_Feed_128x128 icon.

these ARE awsome… and you are even kind enough to provide rationale for creating them. they bring some real life concepts into rss. we are not for processing text only. :) thanks, hope i will have a great place to use one of them.

These icon are looking very fresh and nice

Yeah nice. Check http://www.farbwolke.de we use the newspaper icon

great icons.
    I put one here – [silvy's diary blog]

thanks !

These icon are looking very fresh and nice
    babak zawari
    بابك زواري

very nice man..

Richard McLaughlin

April 20, 2008 1:27 am

Love the coffee cup, gave me an idea because I have this special blue cup that shines (bad for my ADD) and I decided to take a picture of that cup and use if for my RSS feed. Now any ADD person, like me, that lands on my site will just go “….Ooooo, shiny.” And sign up not knowing why.

Great work, keep it rolling.

philfrelanceweb

April 24, 2008 2:29 am

such a great collection of rss icon, i found this very much helpful for most web designers and very useful in web design project, i will work used this for my future projects.

Hey cool icons…. great concepts and the idea is awesome…. great job….
    thnks smash…!!

all gugs like the newspaper guy most!

Very Good, thanks

I just want to asked how to install this rrs icon…. Pls help us

We used the RSS Bench icon on our MMA Blog. Thanks!

Hi man you are so great !!!! Orz …

your designs are awesome dude, thanks

I like te billboard style i gona use it on my new site.

Thank you. These are very creative. I will use one of them on my blog :)

Loved all icons. Better as they are free 2. :-) thanx

thank for these nice icon.. excelent work :D

Wonderful Icons!!

Nice, i also integrated them in my Blog

hi,thanks for these icon.very nice

beautifull…. really like these. so much so that i just cant see why i should create my own

i saw these icons on a few other blogs, and sat down to search for them. at last i found them. great job. this is really cool

Very good icon. Thank you very much for sharing. Very much appreciated :-)

I was trying to put the RSS feed onto my blog, but when I downloaded into my Plugin list, it did not show up. Is there a way you could explain exactly what should be done to use the designed feed? thanks ahead of time.

I’ve seen some blogs using the newspaper icon, now I found the source. Great, I’ll use it. I like the cup also. Thanks a lot.

Thank you for the beautiful icons!

I have been looking for rss icons for about a week, and right before i gave up on my search I found the mother of them all. The dude with the paper is amazing. thanks

Wow..
    nice rss icon

beautiful rss icon…thank for your information

I love it! Thanks!

Thx for sharing. Great job!

Biju Subhash

Thanks … hopefully after many pairs of fun together … and any posts that many subscriptions.

You’ve stated

“The set contains 8 icons which you can use for private and commercial projects, blogs and web-sites for free”

Yet there included license states that icons are free only for personal, desktop use?

Am i right to be a little confused?

thank you! =]

Nice Ones. Thanks a lot.

Jacob Lee is right; the license in the pack says we can use the icons for personal, desktop use. So we can not publish them in web sites. Maybe the license was included by mistake, I don’t know… :/

Thanks for beautiful icons.

really funny and cute icon! i put for my web,the newspaper one. thank you.

I wanted to use one of these icons to replace the regular feedburner one, but I don’t know how to install it. Can anyone please help?
    Thanks!

Ev

I am also confused.

It says that these can be used for free in personal sites and ALSO in COMMERCIAL SITES.

However, when I VISIT http://www.fasticon.com/ site.. it says that to be used in commercial sites, you must use a LICENSE and that the icons are only for personal sites…

CAN ANYONE tell the definite license terms?

Thanks.

In the comment above, I mean that FastIcon site, says that you must buy a license to use these icons in COMMERCIAL sites… and the icons are only for personal use…

What is the truth??

ooh thanks a lot for the tips?
    thank’s for the good post?!!!

yes cemlouis i just notice the notification there..either i missed that
    part when i upload the theme or they just recently updated their site and also make it more clear about their theme submit policy.
    but still is there anyway they can prevent anyone uploading someone
    else theme..that’s still the biggest question need to be solved. I know if i release a standalone theme with my own footer link without sponsor links..i would be glad to submit the theme there and they can add the extra links in the theme since the they got a very potential click download rate and that’s without a doubt since i did feature their site for great theme place but there’s still sponsors issue that need to explained if the sponsors suddenly asked about the extra link..what should i tell them?

thx,very good!

love love love these. thanks

[http://ansblog.com/wallpapers]Nits[/url]

September 3, 2009 12:51 am

Incredible icons great help for the blogger thanks

wow man!u have done an amazing job,ill surely gonna use it in my blog :p.please also visit my website for
    3d,graphic design jobs,models,portfolio and more.

Thanks alot! Love’em!

Thank you very much for these cool Icons :) Catched one =)

Hey, I really like this Icon Set, thanks for sharing :-)

I just designed a new RSS Icon Set in American Diner style for free download too. Please have a look at my blog and tell me what you think :-)

Thanks a lot!
    Manu

Ok, I admit I’m an idiot!! I love these icons, but how do I turn a jpg image into my rss feed on my wordpress theme. I don’t understand how to connect one of these images to my feed address.

thanks!!

Great work. thank you!

awesome icons.
    thanks for sharing with us.
    keep up the good work :)

very nice collection here! You can also download for free my RSS icons pack here: http://logolitic.com/vector-rss-icons-pack-free-download/

thanks many. looks great!

Great work

Very good!
    Marcelo

Great design, but is it relay free to use any way you want? I see that this question was asked above but I’ll repeat it anyway…
    By unzipping ‘FastIcon_Smashing_Feeds_Png’ there is a “License – Read Me” stating among the lines next;

“License Agreement:

All Icons on the …Icon”Freeware” page are property of …com and free and available as FREE only for personal, desktop use.
    If you need use the icons for a commercial project, you need order a commercial license.”

Smashing here is telling us that we can use it as commercial too!?

like it,, i use coffee icon, thanks

Alexander Trofimov

January 7, 2011 2:48 pm

Thanks, used it for my blog wrap up application. It’s gorgeous now =)

Boundless Freebies

February 1, 2011 7:13 pm

Thanks a lot. I hope you don’t mind if I post this on my site.

Helpful information thanks. I added your website on my favorite, will visit again.

I added your website on my favorite, will visit again thank you.

thanks, very cool collection and great to have one location to find them

Nice design , I love this one !!

Thx for information.

Thank I took pictures that I have something I really hate this, I allowed my recommended links.

Wow icon rss desing good
    i am sory i introduce my web agan

เครื่องทำตรายาง เครื่องทำตรายางราคาถูก

Many thanks finding the time to go over this, I find myself strongly concerning this and love learning more about this topic.7m

Wow! Huge creativity displaying here. I cannot get over that little boy reading the RSS feed from a book. Love it so much I have to use it on my blog. Thanks a million for sharing, and please continue your great work.

Sometimes things are not working as forecasted, thats life….

bye,
    Elli

That´s a new point of view,interesting…sometimes things are not working as predicted….

regards,