Desktop Wallpaper Calendar: July 2008

Desktop wallpapers can serve as an excellent source of inspiration. However, if you use some specific wallpaper for a long period of time, it becomes harder to draw inspiration out of it. That’s why we have decided to supply you with smashing wallpapers over 12 months.

And to make them a little bit more distinctive from the usual crowd, we’ve decided to embed calendars for the upcoming month. So if you need to look up some date, isn’t it better to show off a nice wallpaper with a nice calendar instead of launching some default time application?

This post features 25 free desktop wallpapers, designed by 25 designers across the globe. Both versions with a calendar and without a calendar can be downloaded for free.

Please notice:

• all images can be clicked and lead to the preview of the wallpaper;
  • you can feature your work in our magazine by taking part in our desktop wallpaper calendar series. We are regularly looking for creative designers and artists to be featured on Smashing Magazine. Are you one of them?

So what wallpapers have we received for July?

Signalnoise Wallpaper

“I tried to create a similar aesthetic as old NBC network promos aired on television in the late 70s and early 80s. I distinctly remember the bright colors of the NBC peacock from when I was a kid while waiting to watch a television broadcast of Star Wars, or something. Those television network promos really stuck with me.” Designed by James White.

July Snails

Available in 12 desktop resolutions — both widescreen and fullscreen. Designed by Vlad Gerasimov from Irkutsk, Russia.

Smashing Wallpaper - June 2008

How do you like my new hat?

“This wallpaper is the third wallpaper I did with the two birds. They are about everyday arguments and misunderstandings between men and women. “How do you like my new hat?” illustrates a typical situation every guy has been in: she buys a new hat and is absolutely enthusiastic about it and he hates it.

Blue birdie can only lose: he can be honest and say that the hat is ugly which will probably cause trouble or he can lie, but then he will have to see her with that ugly hat all summer long. My boyfriend usually chooses to tell the truth which regularly makes me freak out, so yes, I guess I would be red birdie…;) With this wallpaper series I just want to illustrate women that men really don’t have it easy with us and sometimes we just shouldn’t take us so serious…” Designed by Nicole Bauer (Deviantart).

The color of paradise

“Work created in Photoshop and Illustrator, the name of my design is the color of paradise and express this art in nature that always surrounds and inspires me today everything is artificial and gradually let off with natural things on this planet my design is a reminder of where we come from everybody.” Designed by Miguel Angel Lozada from Mexico.

Simple Idea

Designed by Rafal Tomal from Poland.

Pilk

“A girl and her bear enjoy a Pilk based product on a summer day. Motivation: spread the Pilky love” Designed by Scott Jackson.

7ummer is back

“Composition combining various techniques with 3D, photographic enhancements and typography. The idea of the wallpaper was to portray the arrival of the summer and the green from the vegetation, which contrasts against the “desaturated” seasons to come. Images used are from Sxc.hu.” Designed by Nicolás Baumgartner from Argentina.

Hipnosis Tipografica

“Worked on the concept of hypnosis, where the structure goes to the center, to the eyes, and we are persuaded by the penetrating look of the professional. The typography strengthens and accompanies the structure of the composition. Images used are from Sxc.hu. The picture of the hands was taken by kev.flanagan.” Designed by Lucas Zubeldía from Argentina.

Trendy Summer

“This is a wallpaper based on fonts and simple shapes, where I tried to catch the trendy feeling of a summer party.” Designed by Bleed from Mexico.

Girl in the bus

“One month ago, I started drawing daily while commuting and during lunch time. I love drawing people and this girl was in the same bus I was last week. As I liked the way the sketch turned out, I though it would be nice to join in your collection if you find it appropriate.” Designed by Patricia Montero de Cabana from Maracaibo, Venezuela.

Elementary

“In the time of digital arts I wanted to focus on the elementary things in design. As it is often said, the idea is your strategy, a pen is your weapon. For this reason I have created this emblem with a significant but convertible text. Special thanks to Kayo – Stefan W. for his great texture I used in the background.” Designed by Andreas Kalinka from Wuppertal, Germany.

Flying Man

“Flying Man is an illustration about things in life to changing. Many times, the change itself is great but other elements make the change very difficult – like in this man’s case.” Designed by Tim Newton from USA.

Cow & Chicken

“This design is inspired by one of my paintings.” Designed by Vane Kosturanov from Macedonia.

Funny Fruits

“Beside bringing a lot of a lot of heat brings also many enterteining, very tasty fruits and of vivacious colors, which have to see nothing with bored of the winter.” Designed by Alba Soler from Spain.

Blast

“The title of this wallpaper is BLAST. As far as motivation goes, ever since I have seen this contest, I wanted to conso-devious something. I experimented with colors, and layer modes, and came up with this.” Designed by Nicole D. from USA.

Summer on the beach

Designed by Lluís Ràfols from Argentina.

Summer blend

“When I found this stock, whole idea just popped into my head and disappeared in the fraction of a second. This piece is a result of what I was able to catch in that quick second.” Designed by Makhsut Kutlukov from United States.

Photography

“I have a lot of documents in my destktop, so this wallpaper is for people like me!” Designed by Guillermo Damián Fernández from Argentina.

Grunge Summer

“And summer isn’t a time. It’s a place as well. Summer is a moving creature and likes to go south for the winter.” Designed by Lety Gidea from Romania.

Days of the Week: Monday and Friday

“In this wallpapers I separated the month into sets of days and just had fun with the idea, concepts and music that each day gave me. So I just mixed those elements a little and this is what came up with. Hope you like it! Images used are from Sxc.hu.” Designed by Gaston Duranovich from Argentina.

Sea

“For me, July is the month of intens colours and refreshing sunlighted seawater. In this wallpaper I have mixed two of my greatest passions: graphic design and mosaic.” Designed by Nadeschda Broere from Holland.

Couches

“I was using a photo I took at the Royal Ontario Museum in Toronto, Canada, few weeks ago. Because the black couches and stark lighting reminded me of an alien waiting room (a la Men In Black), I chose a very modern font for the typography.” Designed by Sebastian Troen from Vancouver, Canada.

Robotic Mush

“Entitled robot mush, my inspiration was the idea that some how technology could eventually evolve and robots could start to grow themselves in organic mechanical creatures. ” Designed by Jon from Wales in the UK.

Friendly Grunge

“My motivation was simple: I wanted to design a beautiful abstract piece, using as many different materials and elements as possible. This is the outcome: friendly grunge.” Designed by Eli Burford from South Australia.

Join in next month!

Please notice that we respect the ideas and motivation behind artists’ work which is why we’ve given artists full freedom to explore their creativity and express emotions and experience through their works. And this is also why the themes of the wallpapers weren’t anyhow influenced by us, but designed from scratch by the artists themselves.

Thanks to all designers for participation. Hopefully, in July we’ll receive as many entries as in June. Join in next month and smashing July, folks!

The Smashing Team loves high-quality content and cares about little details. Through our online articles, books and eBooks and Smashing Conferences, we are committed to stimulating creativity and strengthening the Web design community’s creative forces.

great list :] good variety!

The best calendars yet. Good job people.

Really happy you featured my wallpaper. There’s heaps of amazingly beautiful & creative wallpapers here among mine.

I love Summer blend, one problem with it… The 1st is a tuesday not a thursday! would love for this to be corrected so I can use it!

top list!!!

good job,all this wallpapers is great

Great post!

(The links to the mondays and fridays wallpapers are mixed up.)

Currect callendar “Simple Idea”, it’s for june ;)

Vitaly Friedman & Sven Lennartz

June 30, 2008 1:23 am

@Samuel: thank you, fixed.

mixed up! :P great walls :D

I’m with Ben. Summer Blend is great, but has wrong calendar. Would it be possible for the author to correct it ?

rofl @ the hypnotic wallpaper. Sounds like http://bancomicsans.com :-)

7ummer is back is priceless.

i love the text effect on JULY title… its very crisp and has great character (pun intented)

- on Summer Blend of Makhsut Kutlukov from United States.
    comment number 11

Great post… the best as always

It would be nice to do a dual-display wallpaper series….

Again, great portion of great wallpapers. Im spreading the word about in on my personal blog, keep up the great job guys

Thanks!

(The 1280×1024 funny fruits one’s link leads to 404 page, though)

It’s a pity that Simple Idea is made for June. A little bit to late to use it know

Vitaly Friedman & Sven Lennartz

June 30, 2008 3:02 am

@Marie: we have contacted the designer and asked him to update the wallpaper as soon as possible.

Jehzeel Laurente

June 30, 2008 3:13 am

the designs were truly awesome!

Sandie Sørensen

June 30, 2008 3:21 am

“The color of paradise” has a problem with: 1440×900.

Too bad. I was gonna use it…
    But I must say: the wallpapers are getting better and better. These are the most wonderfull ones I have seen here so far…

Thanks to all contributers for sharing your creativity. :) Keep up the good work.

Great designs but the Smashing logo ruins most of them. (If possible make the logo smaller and more watermark-ish-ly.)

Simple Idea – is calnedar 4 june not july ;)

This batch of calendar is awesome. My absolute favorite is 7ummer is back by Nicolás Baumgartner.

Thanks for the great collection!

Nice wallpapers, however I can’t use many of them. People with 1280 x 1024 resolution monitors are a bit excluded :(

I really enjoy the “7ummer is back” one, but would appreciate, if a 1280×1024 version would be released.

Could you do that?

This post rocks! Thanks for all the wallpapers!!

There are only 3 available for my work screen (1024×768) without having to resize them in Photoshop. boo. Same number available for my home laptop (1440×900). Didn’t realize I was such an oddball. :s

Awesome designs… I wish I could display most of them… :( Must pick 1

great variations – thank you so much!

I like the Days of the week and 7ummer is back best!!

Excellent, EXCELLENT post. I have so many favorites that I don’t know which one to pick. This means I can have a different wallpaper on a more frequent than monthly basis.

Great job! I am so excited to know that we can look forward to having smashing new eye candy every month!

Great series of wallpapers :)
    I will use the signalnoise one :)

Hello, I believe my entry (Blast) was supposed to say “The title of this wallpaper is BLAST. As far as motivation goes, ever since I have seen this contest, I wanted to contribute something. I experimented with colors, and layer modes, and came up with this.”

I wish more of them had 2560×1600… I have dual monitors and would like one big tiled wallpaper. :-D

Great!

Thanks =)

Thanks SM, i love July Snails!

Thanks for using mine (robotic mush), wasn’t aware I was moving to Mexico though:),
    I’m in Wales in the UK.

cheers

jon

These are wicked!! very creative and inspirational!! :o/) I am using Flying man on my double screen monitor..It is Craaazy!! :o)

At the end of the post, before showing the wallpapers, it says: ” So what wallpapers have we received for June ?” . it should say JULY

Great wallpapers! Thanks so much
    Tuyệt vời, cảm ơn SM!

I would like to thank Smahing Magazine for featuring and posting our work. Contests like these give us (designers and studios) the possibility to assign a few monthly hours to non-regular projects and give the designers the necessary freedom to be creative.

Congratulations to my 3 guys for the great work and a special thank to my Design PM who took care of the slection and logistics.

Hernan Puente

Why no 1440×900? Tell them to make those too!!!

Very very nice!

Its the best collection for a month so far in my opinion. Good work!

Rajaie AlKorani

June 30, 2008 8:55 am

Those are some amazing wallpapers, just what I needed! Thanks

thanx for the wallpapers!
    they enlighten my desktop lol
    great job,!
    I say hi from argentina!

Thanks a lot, they are great !

Why “The color of paradise” isn’t available in 1600*1200 as the others ?

i really like the ms small business animated background above the fold, how do i get that one?

brilliant calendar list. best one yet!

Cool calendars! I love the one of the girl on the bus.

Yea, I’m agree that’s the best calenders you have ever posted!
    thanx

Why is Tomal’s for JUNE?

great designs otherwise..

I’m sorry there is JUNE. I posted my wallpaper one month ago, but it was a one day too late to publish it on July. Vitaly Friedman asked me to change it for July but I missed it again. I gonna fix it today.

*”one day too late to publish it on JUNE” – sorry, I’m overworked :)

Neat! It’s so nice to be part of such a great collection. Thank you everybody! :D

(…and thanks Lindsay!)

Good collection! Thanks.

Very inspiring.

My favorites are July Snails and Funny Fruits, the artists guard a common line in your previous designs and have a very charming touch.

Congratulations to all for your great work!

Those r awesome!!!!!!!! thank u guys for the best selections.

Man, I really wish I had visual talent, because these are AWESOME – all of them.

1920×1200 version of “Photography” gives a 404 error…

Great list, lots of inspiration here.

Praveen Vijayan

June 30, 2008 8:20 pm

Awesome list. Love it :)

yeahhh… this is what i waiting for every 1st of month.

i will be using ‘July Snails’

like always smashing post….hats off

Cool! thanks. :)

Calendar in Hipnosis Tipografica starts with Monday 1st July in 1680×1050

Really nice wallpaper for this month, I think they are the best one in this series. I’ve choose the one with 2 birds on a limb.

Nice. Shame I need 1400×1050 and 1280×1024 ;)

FAB!
    Thanksss

Same comment as Ben Piper, Summer Blend’s calendar is incorrect… some beautiful designs here tho :)

7ummer is back rocks

This is a really great collection. Just in case you need some more varieties, check out my july 08 calendar set at fudgegraphics.com
    keep it smashing!

Same comment as a few others have made… Summer Blend would be my first choice! However the Calendar is incorrect! :(

Some really besutiful designs this month!

Some really beautiful designs this month!

DATES NOT CORRECT
    Summer blend starts on a Thursday, when July starts on a Tuesday. Shame – it’s my favourite one.

King of all Search Marketing

July 1, 2008 5:58 am

I wonder how many people will be making their own desktop wallpapers instead of working? I will be. Thin is pretty cool, a nice why to break the monotony of an 8 hour day.

Shame there are so few 1024 x 768. It’s by far the most popular screen size in the statistics for the sites I’ve designed.

Agreed that the Smashing Magazine logo ruins many of them.

great calendar wallpapers, is that a way all can be downloaded in one go? :D

I absolutely love these calendars!! Thanks SM. Is this only for the summer, or will this be continued for the rest of the year?

Catalina de Leon

July 1, 2008 9:24 am

great selection of calendars, as always! Congratulations to all! I really like “the color of paradise”, beautiful! And proud to see the calendars of my teamworkers here as well… We’ve fixed the dates of “Hipnosis Tipografica” (Def, thanks for pointing that out). We’ve also created a version of the calendars in 1280 x 1024 resolution, per FuNKeR’s request. You can download them through our site

the best crop of calendars yet! thanks to all you lovely artists & designers – awesome job! i’ll have to change my background nearly everyday to sample all the wondrous flavors! :)

Trendy summer has the 9th twice… but awesome work all!

hi , great walls !
    i have just one problem after saving them ! i cant open any of the jpegs !! why ??
    please help !
    P.S : it happens for me on every month walls !! :(

Great list. Thanks

Thanks for these nice wallpapers.

wow!!! thanks!

Simply Idea is wrong, because we are speakinf of JULY, not of june

I love Monday !!!

Muy buenos wallpapers de calendarios, Many simplicity in the designs, I like them very much.

I like all of them but “Summer blend” is awesome and I love the concept of “7ummer is back”.

Wow, amazing ! Thanx, Bro !

WOOW!
    these are all great,
    it is really amazing,
    it is so hard for me to choose any from this,
    and I only need one

Great calendars. I’m using Summer Blend, but the calendar is wrong! Can it be fixed?

You have showcased some amazing designs.

Thanks for the previews.

Some of them are extremely stimulating creatively and visually.

sweetperceptions

July 2, 2008 7:30 am

Wonderful! I hope you’ll have these every month! Extremely beautiful and very useful! Thanks! :)

the pilk one has a typo of a duplicate 22nd of the month!!!

Please get them to fix the Summer Blend calendar. It’s a beautiful wallpaper and I could really use the calendar.

Thanks for the collection!

OMG! I so think you all are awesome. These calendars are spectacular. However, My resolution is 1024×768 and I live in the USA. So. there are many calendars I cannot use. My screen size is smaller and the days of the weeks are different. POUT!
    but
    YOU ALL ARE SO TALENTED; very artistic and appealing works.

great set of wallpapers…. keep em coming..!

Thank you for doing the 1280*1024 version, Catalina.

I love the wallpaper calendars, but I’d like to see more 1280*1024 versions. I can imagine it’s pretty annoying to make like 12 versions of one image, but it’s also pretty annoying when you see so much great wallpapers but can only use 1 or 2 of them.

Thanks in advance,
    aloha

One small suggestion. It would have been great if the calendars were designed so that the dates were on the right hand side. Few of them have that but the one’s I like have their dates on the left hand side. When you design an informative “desktop” wallpaper then the thumbrule should be to put information on an area which is not covered by the desktop icons. As the desktop icons are placed on the left hand side of the screen by default. In any case, great work and I really enjoy Smashing Magazine.

I like them all, but juste have one screen! :-(

An awesome list of wallpapers there.

You really beautified my desktop. Thanks.

great job

I agree about the 1280×1024 as I think this is a screen that many people have now

Nice ! I choise summer blend, it’s wonderful ! :D

Thanks.

beautiful i like them all

These are all Beautiful wallpapers.
    Adding to their beauty there might be few things which we can ponder on.
    There are dates on calendars which are static. It would be wonderful if it also highlights the current date….

What? no Tom Cruise wallpaper. I’m disapointed.

superb yaar.. .

I think really cool desktop Items you don’t really see such fine and clean designs for desktop

Impressive.

Very good!Thanks!

awesome!!!

why more people don’t offer 1440 x 900 is beyond me?

15″ mbp anyone? helloo!!

The color paradise’s link for 1280×800 version is wrong. just to let you know though :)

for all those complaining about the lack of 1440×900 versions. use the 1920×1200. It is the same ratio an Mac OSX scales them down automatically without loss!
    The problem with the placement of the calendar is that icons on a mac are on the right whereas on windows on the left by default. That makes it extremely difficult to please everyone.

Beautiful. Thanks guys!

Brilliant work, all of you

Son hermosos cada mes me sorprenden con estos fantasticos diseños

This is really cool

Can you make a calendar wallpaper with some nice stars, nebulaes or so. It will be nice to have some wallpapers on a space topic.

Great collection for July. Kudos to all authors!
    Have been using Vlad Studio monthly wallpapers for some time and July 08 is already on my desktop. So cute!

wonderfull walls. every month i visit the site

Req. Wallpaper…

They’re amazing :). Thank so much.

Summer Blend by Makhsut Kutlukov is magnificent!
    I installed a tool called wallpaper changer which gives a great extra enjoyment of all of those wonderful calendars!

I was wondering if someone can direct me to some tutorial (for photoshop) or to some tool that will help me make this kind of 3d text that appears in Summer Blend.

great calendars!

Great!,I like them so much!

Super Pro…………..
    Very Nice & great calendars!

wow its realy amazing

Superb calenders…..very nice…

i start expecting wallpaper of august

really amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ugly!!!!!!!!!

- A SMASHING CHALLENGE –
    I don’t understand? how could you think all these designs are ugly with 9 exclamation marks! surely you must be joking.. I challenge you to create a beautiful wallpaper for September, and let’s see if it will make it on the wall! what you think? – show us beauty!

very nice….
    I’m loving it….

Really Good work , wish you all the best.