Every now and again we take a look around, select “fresh” high-quality free fonts and present them to you in a brief overview. The choice is enormous, so the time you need to find them is usually the time you should be investing in your current projects. We search for them and we find them, so you don’t have to.
This month we are glad to present you the updated Anivers, Gentium family and Fresco Semi Bold. Please read the license agreements carefully — they can change from time to time.
- Free Fonts Of May1 features Freebooter Script, Cora Basic Regular, Walkway and Karabine.
- You can find over 80 more free fonts in our section Fonts2.
Free Fonts Of The Month Link
Jos Buivenga has released an update for Anivers, a font which was originally designed to celebrate the first anniversary of Smashing Magazine4. Now the new improved Anivers has been expanded and Anivers Regular undergone a major update. Changes: extended language support, improved glyph shapes and improved metrics and kerning.
Jos Buivenga has extended Anivers to the Anivers family which now comes in regular, italic, bold and small caps and has some nice OpenType features. However, only Anivers regular is free. To download the free Regular you have to register at MyFonts.com. The rest of the family can be purchased on MyFonts.
Gentium7 (specimen8) and Gentium Basic9
SIL International which has released Gentium few years ago, now released a modification of Gentium which is called Gentium Basic. Gentium is a typeface family designed to enable the diverse ethnic groups around the world who use the Latin and Greek scripts to produce readable, high-quality publications. It supports a wide range of Latin-based alphabets and includes glyphs that correspond to all the Latin ranges of Unicode.
Gentium Basic and Gentium Book Basic are font families based on the original Gentium design, but with additional weights. The “Book” family is slightly heavier. Both families come with a complete regular, bold, italic and bold italic set of fonts. The supported character set, however, is much smaller than for the main Gentium fonts. These “Basic” fonts support only the Basic Latin and Latin-1 Supplement Unicode ranges, plus a selection of the more commonly used extended Latin characters, with miscellaneous diacritical marks, symbols and punctuation. Designed by Victor Gaultney.
We have already written13 about Fresco Semi Bold14. However, in this post we would like to remind some of you who haven’t downloaded the font yet that Fresco Semi Bold is still available for free download. Fresco Semi Bold is just one member of a large and flexible type family by Dutch design legend Fred Smeijers. OpenType. Registration is required.
- 1 http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/05/12/free-fonts-of-the-month-freebooter-script-cora-basic/
- 2 http://www.smashingmagazine.com/category/fonts/
- 3 http://exljbris.com/anivers.html
- 4 http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2007/09/03/get-out-the-balloons-smashings-1st-anniversary/
- 5 http://exljbris.com/anivers.html
- 6 http://www.josbuivenga.demon.nl/anivers.html
- 7 http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&item_id=Gentium
- 8 http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&item_id=Gentium_samples
- 9 http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&item_id=Gentium_basic
- 10 http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&item_id=Gentium
- 11 http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&item_id=Gentium
- 12 http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&item_id=Gentium_basic
- 13 http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/05/23/friday-freebies-font-icons-wallpapers-and-screensaver/
- 14 http://www.fontshop.com/freefonts/
- 15 http://www.fontshop.com/freefonts/