Because we have published several other comprehensive resources for developers of other content management systems (CMSs), we didn’t want to forget Movable Type1. Like the other CMSs we have featured, Movable Type is a popular choice for bloggers, website owners and those developing websites. Over the years, Movable Type has made many advancements and had many changes in its system.
The current version is even capable of creating social networking websites with many users. The most recent version, 4.21, is available open source for developers. Individual bloggers (those who are not incorporated) can download Movable Type for free, while there are a few different licensing options for businesses.
This post provides you with a large collection of resources for working with Movable Type, whether you’re just getting started or have plenty of experience. We’ll feature some official resources, such as documentation, as well as plenty of tutorials, sources of inspiration, the best places to find plug-ins, resources for working with templates and styles and more.
For similar resources related to other CMSs, please see:
- WordPress Developer’s Toolbox2
- Drupal Developer’s Toolbox3
- ExpressionEngine Developer’s Toolbox4
- Textpattern Developer’s Toolbox5
1. Official Resources
Six Apart and Movable Type provide excellent documentation and resources for users and developers. This is typically the best place to go if you’re just getting familiar with Movable Type, and the resources listed here are also good to keep bookmarked for when you’ll need them in the future.
Movable Type Pricing FAQ17
Because of the different licensing scenarios involved with Movable Type, designers and developers who are working with Movable Type for client websites are likely to have some questions.
Movable Type Forums19
Looking for some help with Movable Type in your work? The forums are home to an active community of users who are helping each other. Your question may have already been asked and answered by others, and if not, you can post the question yourself.
Designer and Developer’s Guide to Movable Type
If you plan to work with Movable Type as a designer or developer, this is a resource that you may want to bookmark:
2. Getting Started
In addition to the official resources listed above, these items are especially useful for those who are new to Movable Type.
Movable Type 4 Installation, Step by Step with Screenshots27
This is a very helpful resource for getting started with Movable Type. Step-by-step instructions are provided to lead you through the process, and the screenshots help with visualization.
The Movable Type community has provided a wide variety of tutorials. Some focus on using the system, and others are especially relevant for developing your own themes or making some customizations to exiting themes.
How to Customize Default Styles in MT436
This is a tutorial for beginners who have chosen one of the default styles and now want to customize it. This is a quick tutorial that covers the basics of styling your Movable Type blog or website.
Template Macros: The Coolest Template Trick You Don’t Know About39
This article/tutorial goes into a real-world example of the power of template macros in MT4.
Creating a Photo Gallery Using jQuery and the MT Asset Manager40
In this tutorial you’ll be led through the fairly simple process of setting up a nice photo gallery with MT.
Easy Surveys and Polls42
If you’re interested in creating your own poll, this article will show you how to code it. You may also want to see this follow-up article43 that provides some adjustments to the original.
List Random Authors44
Many blogs powered by Movable Type include multiple authors. This tutorial provides you with the code to include a randomly generated list of authors with links to their archives.
Alternating Comment Styles with Movable Type 445
Comment styling is a great way to improve the overall look of a blog and improve usability for readers and commenters. This tutorial provides the code to produce different styles for alternating comments.
Things to Consider When Using Movable Type as a CMS57
Devlounge published a post just a few months ago that focuses on using MT for CMS purposes rather than just for blogging.
Get an Email List of All Authors on Your System59
If you’re managing a multi-author Movable Type blog, this tutorial will show you how you can quickly create an email list of all authors. The code is also provided to generate an email list of commenters.
There are a few resources that are excellent for seeing what others are doing with Movable Type-powered websites and blogs.
Like WordPress, Movable Type users and developers have a huge number of available plug-ins to choose from. Rather than trying to list individual plug-ins of note, below you will see the best websites for finding plugins. On these websites, you’ll find a wide variety of plug-ins for all sorts of purposes.
Movalog currently has 18 different plug-ins available for download. Its plug-ins cover a variety of different aspects of working with Movable Type, including creating custom fields74, tracking statistics with Mint from the dashboard75, threaded comments76 and more.
6. Templates, Styles and Themes
Movable Type makes extensive use of templates to power websites and blogs. Both templates and styles are used to create the themes used by bloggers and website owners. There are a number of resources for working with templates and styles, and there are also some themes available for download. The resources listed here will help you build or customize a website for yourself or clients.
Movable Type Design Assistant84
The design assistant is a helpful tool, especially for getting started with designing for Movable Type. With the design assistant, you can choose from a number of basic styles and layouts, and you can apply your own CSS to quickly get a custom theme.
Random Style Generator88
Movalog also has a fun, random style generator that you may want to play around with. You simply click a button for a new style, which is randomly generated. If you find something you like, you can download or edit it.
7. Movable Type Compared to Other CMS Options
If you’re considering using Movable Type or if you just want to see how it stacks up against some of the other options, you may be interested in reading the opinions of other users.
Movable Type 4 vs, WordPress 2.2110
A little over a year ago, Mashable did an in-depth comparison of the two. Both MT and WP change and evolve so quickly that this post is not completely relevant today, but much of the information is still helpful for a comparison.
WordPress vs. Movable Type: The Smackdown Comparison113
iThemes published a post from an experienced user of both, with comparisons of several different areas.
- 1 http://movabletype.com/
- 2 http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/09/15/wordpress-developers-toolbox/
- 3 http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/09/24/drupal-developers-toolbox/
- 4 http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/10/29/expressionengine-developers-toolbox/
- 5 http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/11/06/textpattern-developers-toolbox/
- 6 http://www.movabletype.com/
- 7 http://www.movabletype.com/
- 8 http://movabletype.org
- 9 http://www.movabletype.org/opensource/
- 10 http://plugins.movabletype.org/
- 11 http://www.movabletype.org/documentation/
- 12 http://wiki.movabletype.org/Main_Page
- 13 http://movabletype.org
- 14 http://www.sixapart.com/
- 15 http://www.typepad.com/
- 16 http://www.sixapart.com/
- 17 http://www.movabletype.com/download/pricing-faq.html
- 18 http://www.movabletype.com/services/partners/reseller/
- 19 http://forums.sixapart.com/
- 20 http://forums.sixapart.com/
- 21 http://www.sixapart.com/movabletype/kb/index.html
- 22 http://www.sixapart.com/movabletype/kb/index.html
- 23 http://www.movabletype.org/documentation/appendices/tags/
- 24 http://www.movabletype.org/documentation/appendices/tags/
- 25 http://www.movabletype.org/documentation/designer/
- 26 http://www.movabletype.org/documentation/developer/
- 27 http://www.superxm.com/2007/08/movable-type-4-installation-step-by-step-with-screenshots.html
- 28 http://www.superxm.com/2007/08/movable-type-4-installation-step-by-step-with-screenshots.html
- 29 http://www.movabletype.org/documentation/installation/
- 30 http://www.movabletype.org/documentation/installation/
- 31 http://www.movabletweak.com/templates/movable_type_template_map_pdf.php
- 32 http://www.movabletype.org/documentation/designer/creating-themes-for-movable-type.html
- 33 http://www.eatdrinksleepmovabletype.com/tutorials/selectively_formatting_an_entry/
- 34 http://www.devlounge.net/code/make-your-blog-more-evergreen-with-movable-type
- 35 http://www.learningmovabletype.com/a/000282recent_comments/
- 36 http://www.learningmovabletype.com/a/how_to_customize_default_styles_in_mt4/
- 37 http://www.learningmovabletype.com/a/001529show_entry_categories/
- 38 http://www.learningmovabletype.com/a/working_with_mo/
- 39 http://www.learningmovabletype.com/a/template_macros_the_coolest_template_trick_you_don/
- 40 http://www.devlounge.net/code/creating-a-photo-gallery-using-jquery-and-the-mt-asset-manager
- 41 http://www.devlounge.net/code/creating-a-photo-gallery-using-jquery-and-the-mt-asset-manager
- 42 http://www.eatdrinksleepmovabletype.com/tutorials/easy_surveys_and_polls_with_a_movable_type_weblog/
- 43 http://slapnose.com/archives/2007/02/14/creating_polls_in_movable_type/
- 44 http://www.learningmovabletype.com/a/list_random_authors/
- 45 http://www.learningmovabletype.com/a/alternating_comment_styles_with_movable_type_4/
- 46 http://www.learningmovabletype.com/a/create_a_contact_form_using_mt4/
- 47 http://www.learningmovabletype.com/a/rotating_banner_ads_mt_style/
- 48 http://www.learningmovabletype.com/a/tag_cloud_on_php_in_movable_type_4/
- 49 http://www.movabletweak.com/categories/creative_subcategories.php
- 50 http://www.movabletype.org/2008/08/creating_drop-down_navigation_with_movable_type.html
- 51 http://www.movabletype.org/2008/08/creating_drop-down_navigation_with_movable_type.html
- 52 http://www.learningmovabletype.com/a/001865subcats_for_one_category/
- 53 http://www.learningmovabletype.com/a/000862pull_down_menus/
- 54 http://www.devlounge.net/code/related-entries-in-movable-type
- 55 http://www.devlounge.net/code/related-entries-in-movable-type
- 56 http://www.learningmovabletype.com/a/001043php_random_entries/
- 57 http://www.devlounge.net/publishing/things-to-consider-when-using-movable-type-as-a-cms
- 58 http://www.devlounge.net/publishing/things-to-consider-when-using-movable-type-as-a-cms
- 59 http://www.movabletweak.com/templates/email_list_of_all_authors.php
- 60 http://www.movabletweak.com/templates/email_list_of_all_authors.php
- 61 http://www.learningmovabletype.com/a/how_to_export_tags_from_movable_type_33x/
- 62 http://www.movabletype.com/showcase/
- 63 http://www.movabletype.com/showcase/
- 64 http://movablelove.com/
- 65 http://movablelove.com/
- 66 http://www.unmatchedstyle.com/index.php?tag=movable-type
- 67 http://www.unmatchedstyle.com/index.php?tag=movable-type
- 68 http://www.cssglance.com/category/gallery/cmsblog/movabletype/
- 69 http://www.cssglance.com/category/gallery/cmsblog/movabletype/
- 70 http://www.cmsshowcase.com/category/movable-type/
- 71 http://www.cmsshowcase.com/category/movable-type/
- 72 http://plugins.movabletype.org/
- 73 http://plugins.movalog.com/
- 74 http://plugins.movalog.com/customfields/
- 75 http://plugins.movalog.com/mintier/
- 76 http://plugins.movalog.com/simply-threaded/
- 77 http://plugins.movalog.com/
- 78 http://mt-hacks.com/
- 79 http://mt-hacks.com/
- 80 http://www.staggernation.com/mtplugins/
- 81 http://www.eatdrinksleepmovabletype.com/plugins/
- 82 http://www.sixapart.com/movabletype/styles/library
- 83 http://www.sixapart.com/movabletype/styles/library
- 84 http://www.movabletype.org/design/assistant/
- 85 http://www.movabletype.org/design/assistant/
- 86 http://styles.movalog.com/generator/
- 87 http://styles.movalog.com/generator/
- 88 http://styles.movalog.com/random/
- 89 http://styles.movalog.com/random/
- 90 http://www.edmz.org/mtsg/
- 91 http://www.edmz.org/mtsg/
- 92 http://www.mttags.com/
- 93 http://www.mttags.com/
- 94 http://www.devlounge.net/articles/an-introduction-to-movable-type-templates
- 95 http://www.devlounge.net/articles/an-introduction-to-movable-type-templates
- 96 http://www.devlounge.net/code/anatomy-of-a-movable-type-template
- 97 http://www.devlounge.net/code/anatomy-of-a-movable-type-template
- 98 http://stopdesign.com/templates/photos/
- 99 http://stopdesign.com/templates/photos/
- 100 http://www.majordojo.com/projects/cutline/
- 101 http://www.majordojo.com/projects/cutline/
- 102 http://www.movabletype.org/2008/09/sandbox_for_movable_type.html
- 103 http://plugins.movabletype.org/sandbox/
- 104 http://sndbx.org/results/designs/
- 105 http://www.movabletype.org/2008/09/sandbox_for_movable_type.html
- 106 http://www.cmstheme.net/cms/movable-type
- 107 http://www.cmstheme.net/cms/movable-type
- 108 http://www.blogskins.com/
- 109 http://www.blogskins.com/
- 110 http://mashable.com/2007/08/15/movable-type-wordpress/
- 111 http://mashable.com/2007/08/15/movable-type-wordpress/
- 112 http://blogbuildingu.com/articles/wordpress-vs-movable-type
- 113 http://ithemes.com/wordpress-versus-movable-type-the-smackdown-comparison/
- 114 http://ithemes.com/wordpress-versus-movable-type-the-smackdown-comparison/
- 115 http://www.cmswire.com/cms/micro-cms/movable-type-40-vs-expression-engine-16-001642.php