100 Beautiful Free Textures

Use of texture in Web design is extremely common. Part of the reason textures are so useful to designers is the relative ease of the integrating one into a design if a high-quality textured image already exists, not to mention the endless possibilities. Fortunately, plenty of photographers and designers are willing to share their work with the rest of us so that we can use them in a number of different ways.

In this post, we’ll look at 100 different textures in a wide variety of different categories. Of course, each image is linked to the source where it can be downloaded. As with any type of freebie, be sure to read the terms and conditions or stipulations by the owner before using it in your work.

For more on textures see:

1. Wool Textures

Modern Texture

Modern Texture

Modern Texture

Modern Texture

Modern Texture

(al)

Steven Snell is a Web designer and blogger. In addition to maintaining his own blog and writing for a number of other top design blogs, he also manages an online shop that offers premium graphic design resources.

Wow, this is going to be useful ! thanks for this post !

Great resource, as always! Thanks guys!

Now THAT is useful! You couldn’t have done that 2 days ago; when i was searching for a grass shot!

Nice Collection Steven…. Thanks for sharing !!

Useful Collection of some of the Nice Textures for web Design ppls.

Someone zip them all up and host them, you’ll be a hero.

As usually, a great post with a great collection! Congratulations !

nice collection very useful thank you

Anwar Bendaoud Andersson

February 6, 2009 5:44 am

It would be great if you followed this up with a tutorial showing examples on how to apply these textures to your work (specially web-pages). I usually find texture-packs really cool and i love the grunge feel of a website, but actually getting there is usually tougher than expected.

Some fail and look tilted. Also resolution may raise dramatically your document size, you have to implement it wisely.

… what Anwar said.

Wow, Right Time, I’m now searching water texture for projects, thanks SM.

Anyway, Notice that Comment #4 has commentor’s web site link. How it comes? Just wanna know I’m not spammer.

Looks like you just pillaged this post on OpenSourceHunter.

I agree with Anwar, would be cool to see some posts on implementing textures in web site design.

Vitaly Friedman & Sven Lennartz

February 6, 2009 6:44 am

@Anwar and @Harvey: please check the links mentioned in the beginning of the post.

One of the greatest collections ever.Thumbs Up SM.

Some of these feel like snapshots, but others look very useful. I’m using the 5th wool texture for a brochure right now. Thanks for the great post!

mmm delicious!

Thanks!

I added this to my evernote (evernote.com) in case i ever need these for photoshop!

Thanks again!

Very nice! The hairy leg is gross but will make sure to use the rest haha

Cool! Thanks!

Lovely! I was looking some wood textures for my projects, now – I’ve got more then I’m expected! Thanks :)

This is fantastic – thank you very much

I like the grit and grunge. Don’t see much use for the others. Thanks for the links!

sweet post! the carpet ones kind of freak me out though…. :)

great! awsome! tnx a lot!!

Now we’re talkin! These are GREAT textures. This is the first time in a while I’ve been truly inspired by a smashing post.

Webdesigner Depot

February 6, 2009 11:19 am

What a wonderful collection of textures. Definitely going to look at using some.

Most useful post ever. Thanks you guys :D

So many references at the same place. Clap, clap for you Smash!

Hooray and ring the bell!

very nice! wonderful selection here for sure.

Can’t get enough from you.

Thank You.

That’s really cool :)) Thanks!
    Waiting to see more textures from smashingmag … hopefully tileable ;)

nice collection light dose post feeling light cloudy

Good Resource.

Curt Simon Harlinghausen

February 7, 2009 4:19 am

Fantastic Collection.
    Really good work.

Nice list! I frequently use the site imageafter.com. There are tons of free, high-resolution textures there. Check it out.

Very nice, but I do wish that they were tile-able. Many of these are definitely not. They would have to be used as large images. I like subtle textures in the back of web pages.

Some NEW examples of textures used in web design would have been nice. Also, as WackoJacko suggests, images suitable for tiling would have been nice.

Really nice, and will be usefull, thanks ! I like Modern textures.

Ooh…I love the wool textures. Great post!

So thanks to your nice! :D

i love you !!!

Thanks. Very good idea. bye

Nice collection, thank you very much.

BramVoltage Shomasta

February 8, 2009 6:44 pm

very very useful..
    thank you very much.

Great collection, surely ill be needing this in the near future. Thanks SM!

great work steve… i didnt copy neither did i learn… but felt happy aba the way in which the shots were taken….

inspiring work…. keep it up….

I’m so loving the modern textures :)

Great texture collection. Thanks!

Awesome collection, i can already see about 10 or more that will find there way into my designs.

Jesse J. Anderson

February 9, 2009 3:36 pm

sorry for the self-plug, but if you find this useful you would also be interested in a free grunge texture pack I just released and posted in the smashing magazine forums. I also have a link to a texture tutorial in the same forum post.

Hope you find them useful!

Someone likely already commented on this, but one of your wall textures links to http://www.sxc.hu, which requires that you create an account with the following mandatory fields:
    ______________________
    * First name
    * Last name
    * Phone number
    * Street address
    * City
    * State / Province
    * Country
    * Zip / Postal code
    ______________________

There’s just one word for this – LAME! The collection as a whole is great, but I still found myself saying, “WTF?”

wow…thats exactly what I was looking for…thanks for sharing

My friend and I are artists (Red Labor) and we do a lot of work with textures in our art and graphic design for t-shirts, wallets and messenger bags. We really like to make our own textures from scratch and scan them in; they are much higher quality and our designs are more unique that way. If you want to see some of our textures check them out here: http://www.redlabor.com/analogue/

This is a good list of free textures and I encourage everyone to push beyond this and try making your own on paper and then scan or photograph them. I hope you like our art, too!

-Red Labor

These are really great. Thanks for sharing!

very impressive textures,Few of them will certainly find there way into my designs.

wow awesome! Thanks a lot!

these textures are superb! I say, the variety is fantasic and the clarity unbelievable! great collection!

oh man, that is some useful stuff!! i am so addicted to textures right now…amazing what a difference it makes. Even the hairy legs will come in handy. haha. i’d love to see other people’s works using these….I’m a novice..but stuff like this always helps

Great texture collection. Thanks!

the textures are great, tnx!

the broken glass is too good.very useful

I really love all of those textures, they are all profesional and unique.

Wow. This is some nice work. Great crisp detail. Thanks.

Hey all… I compressed all of these images into a ZIP.

Do NOT do this for public download!

understandfrench

March 12, 2009 1:19 pm

WOW-!! Thank you so much, so very generous. extremely useful & beautiful images. ;()

Thanks!

love the design you have on your site… more power!

thank you ! love this!

Gracias!!

Las texturas son fantásticas!!!

Cool Creative Designer

April 9, 2009 5:24 am

Awesome collection :)
    I wanna also share those nice free High Resolution Textures Packs with all

Thank you very much!!!! and congratulations ;)

ccooool man

wow~!!

great~

Great resource, as always! Thanks guys!

we usefull textures it helpme alot thanks

Some free HD textures in my picasa web album : http://picasaweb.google.com/clement.biron/Textures#

So nice collection!!!!
    Thanks so much!!!

Fantastic collection of textures. I will definitely be incorporating some of these into my work as well as passing this post along as an excellent resource.

Was hoping for some fur in the mix *rowl*…

Awesome and thanks again!!!

WM

Hi there sorry for the link but you also find there free good textures, my friend have shared his free textures pack in: http://www.texturepalace.com. This pack is amazing!

Tx again: Greg15

Sinfrônio de Souza Barbosa

February 7, 2010 5:42 am

Parabéns. Metais:bronze, ouro, prata, metais ondulados (telha) é muito lindo. Grato.

another site with textures: http://textures.creatiif.net

Sadly, a lot of these are broken links now :-(

I’ve got a little collection of some textures I’ve taken photos of, feel free to use them…http://catchatori.com/index.php/2010/04/textures-of-the-nw/

And another nice website with free hi res textures http://www.texturer.com

One of the best textures..I must say. Really….!! I am in love with many of them. thanks.

amazing!

Check out a new one: http://www.texturemate.com Looks great!

Great textures! I have another sweet site with high-res textures that i would like to share http://www.web30textures.com Thanks!

Okay one of the leather ones is a RICK ROLL! whats up with that?!

Unfortunately, half the list seems to be rick rolls now. :(

all the ones i wanted were rick rolls.

2 of the 3 I clicked on were rick rolls

I just got Rick Roll’d

Hey guys check out my texture gallery at pixigraintextures.tumblr.com/​ its FREE for designers to use…Follow me for regular updates of unique PIXIGRAIN’s and always remember that the bests things in life are free

Nice texture pack keep smashing!

very good………………………….

This was really a fascinating subject, I’m very fortunate to be able to find this from google.

I would like to say thank you for you spending the time to write this subject. Great line up. We will be linking to this on our site. Keep up the great writing.

There are some great textures in this collection, well done! If you would like to download some weekly, free hi-res texture packs, check out:

We also have insanely good freebies for designers, seriously.

Here you can find more than 2000 Free high resolution textures, free for personal or commercial projects. No royalty. You can also contribute to the library by submitting your own textures !

Thank you for these very nice textures.

Really great collection – thanks

I don’t suppose anyone knows the name of the glass (4th one down) It looks very like the glass in my 1930s front door picture glass. I’ve been looking all over for a name or suppler as mine needs repaired. Any help would be very much appreciated.