- March 18th, 2009
- 358 Comments
Ready for this? Here’s how it works: you tell us what icons you need, and then we design them together with SoftFacade51 (which recently created the beautiful Smashing Retro Icon Set2) and release them for free. And to make it a bit more interesting, we’ll smash six commenters and forum participants with original nerdy gifts.
How do I participate?
Participating is very easy: just let us know what icon set you would like us to design (and, if possible, what specific icons the set should contain) in the comments to this post or in this forum thread43. The set may contain at most eight icons.
On the 20th of March, we’ll select the most popular ideas and requests and publish a poll in our magazine, inviting our readers to vote on their favorite theme. Once it’s done, the creative minds behind SoftFacade51 will carefully design the set and submit drafts of its work in progress to the forum, documenting the design process. Hence, you can observe how the set is created and, if there is something you would like to change, communicate with the designers directly. You can keep track of updates on Twitter @smashingmag6 and @softfacade7.
A total of six commenters and active participants in the forum will be awarded Mac Dock Icon Throw Pillows8 (see images below). The winners will be picked randomly and announced in the forum and on Twitter after the theme of the icon set has been chosen.
Finally, we’ll release the set as a free download, which you can freely use for personal and commercial use.
Smashing Magazine Is All About Our Readers
At Smashing Magazine, our readers have always been our highest priority. We respect our readers; we listen to them; we are always open to their suggestions; and we always appreciate constructive criticism. This is why we created a number of ways to interact with our readers:
- We created a friendly Smashing Forum11 to make it possible for our community to exchange ideas and help each other in problem solving.
- We are using Twitter12 to share useful resources and knowledge with, and get feedback from, our readers (e.g. deciding which article should appear next), and we now have almost 20,000 followers.
- We are preparing the Smashing Book13, in which our readers can decide what topics will be included.
And now we would like you to decide what icon set we should design and release next, especially for you. We hope to get great feedback from you, and we would like to thank SoftFacade for its cooperation in this event! Please spread the word, too; we would like the design community to decide what would be most useful and interesting for designers out there!
So, what icon set is it going to be, folks?
- 1 http://www.softfacade.com/
- 2 http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2009/02/12/smashing-retro-icon-set/
- 3 http://forum.smashingmagazine.com/freebies-f4/smashing-community-icon-set-join-in-t1650.html
- 4 http://forum.smashingmagazine.com/freebies-f4/smashing-community-icon-set-join-in-t1650.html
- 5 http://www.softfacade.com/
- 6 http://twitter.com/smashingmag
- 7 http://www.twitter.com/softfacade
- 8 http://throwboy.com/icons.php
- 9 http://throwboy.com/icons.php
- 10 http://throwboy.com/icons.php
- 11 http://forum.smashingmagazine.com/
- 12 http://twitter.com/smashingmag
- 13 http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2009/02/24/the-smashing-book-join-in/