Below, we present the Adobe AIR Developer’s Toolbox: Resources and Tutorials, a round-up of tutorials, links, references, cheat sheets and showcases that will help you create the next popular app.
What is AIR and How To Get Started?
First things first: Adobe Integrated Runtime (AIR) is a cross-platform runtime environment for building rich Internet applications using Adobe Flash, Adobe Flex, HTML, or Ajax, that can be deployed as a desktop application. The runtime bridges the “classic” user experience within Web-applications and rich, highly sophisticated user experience in modern desktop-applications.
The only requirement is that the users of AIR-applications have the AIR runtime engine installed (very much like Adobe Flash users need to have the Flash-plugin installed on their system). In fact, Adobe AIR is becoming more and more popular with over 100 million installations3 of the engine across the globe and over 470 AIR-applications4 featured on Adobe AIR Market Place.
Adobe AIR SDK
To get you started, you will need the runtime environment for running AIR applications on your OS (download the latest version of Adobe AIR5 – you will be asked for the OS you are using). You will also need the Adobe AIR Software Development Kit (SDK) to develop, build and deploy Adobe AIR applications.
This development kit (will provide you with the framework for AIR APIs, a template for the Adobe AIR application install badge, the command-line Adobe AIR Debug Launcher and the command-line Adobe AIR Developer tool. The kits are available for Mac OS X6 (22.1 Mb), Windows7 (15.8 Mb) and Linux8 (18.5 Mb).
Official Adobe AIR Resources
For quick reference here is a brief overview of the essential official Adobe AIR resources that may come in handy for developers of AIR-applications.
- Adobe AIR Developer Center home9
- Developer Center for HTML and AJAX10
- Developer Center for Flash11
- Developer Center for Flex12
- AIR SDK home page13
Adobe AIR Help, Support and Forums
- Official Adobe AIR Cookbook Beta14
- Official Adobe AIR Forums15
- Official Adobe AIR Support Center16
- Aptana Adobe AIR Forum17
- Troubleshoot Adobe AIR installation issues (Windows, Mac OS)18
Adobe AIR Development Tools and References
Adobe Flex Builder 323
An Eclipse-based developer tool that allows for coding, interactive debugging and visual design of the user interface and behavior of Flex applications. Includes support for building desktop applications with Adobe AIR.
Adobe AIR Extensions for Dreamweaver26
The Adobe AIR extension for Dreamweaver allows you to package and preview AIR application files directly in Adobe Dreamweaver CS3 or CS4, so you can leverage your existing Web development skills to build rich Web-applications on the desktop.
ScaleNine provides inspiration and resources to designers and developers working with Adobe technologies. The site offers a variety of themes and skins to turn vanilla Flex and AIR applications into custom visual experiences.
Adobe AIR Cheat Sheets
Understanding the Potential of Adobe Integrated Runtime (AIR)33 (PDF)
Most of the information that’s been made available about Adobe AIR so far, has been written for the programmers that are building applications, not for the visionaries that are designing the client experiences. The objective of this paper is to provide executives, project managers, marketers and other visionaries with an introduction to Adobe AIR, and information about how Adobe AIR can be leveraged to create next generation web experiences.
Adobe AIR Free Samples
Download free sample applications that will help you get started using Adobe AIR.
A great collection of 75 Adobe Air samples from Kevin Hoyt.
Adobe AIR Beginner Tutorials
Introduction to Adobe Air41
“This tutorial introduces you to Adobe Air, a framework to build rich Internet applications.” The first introduction shows you how to create a simple application using HTML/JS technologies.
Build your first Adobe AIR App42
This walks you through all of the basic steps of setting up your development environment for the AIR SDK, with explanations of file dependencies and AIR’s Sandbox Security model. One of the coolest parts of the tutorial is learning how to store data via the AIR API.
To be launched in AIR, an HTML or SWF application requires an application XML file (a.k.a. an application descriptor file). You can almost consider this application XML file the actual AIR application file: it is initially opened and read by AIR, it specifies application properties such as application window name and size, and it identifies which file (HTML or SWF) is to be loaded into the AIR container.
In this tutorial, you will be shown how to build a simple Web-based application for the desktop with Adobe AIR.
Adobe Air Tutorials
Build a Desktop Application within Aptana and AIR48
Introduction to SQLite in Adobe AIR50
A few tuts are on this page. You will learn about: SQLite in Adobe AIR, SQLite Contact Manager, SQLite wrapper classes, SQLite Editor and SQLite YouTube Database.
Using SQL with Adobe AIR52
If you didn’t know already, AIR comes with a genuine lightweight database: an implementation of SQLite. You can create tables and views, insert and delete data and run queries. The API that does this is the flash.data package. If you are interested in using the SQL capabilities of AIR, then read on.
Flash Applications for Use in the Browser and AIR53
This tutorial shows you how applications can be developed for both the Web and AIR runtime using a programming pattern known as the “factory pattern.”
Creating an Image Viewer in AIR With Drag and Drop55
Here, you will see how an AIR application can be created to accept image files using drag-and-drop and then individually display those images within the application window.
Setting Up an AIR Application with File Associations57
You can associate any file type with your AIR applications. This means associated files open in your AIR application. This greatly streamlines your ability to work with external files. This tutorial shows you how to do that.
Using AIR to Get and Set Clipboard Text59
In addition to offering the advantages of running as a desktop application, AIR applications are also able to both get and set content from the operating system’s clipboard. This tutorial shows you how to do both with simple text data.
Building an Adobe Air application with Flex63
In this tutorial, you will learn how to build an Adobe Air application with Flex, an open-source set of technologies for the development of rich Internet applications.
Adobe AIR and Flex – Getting Started65
This tut, a short one, helps you get your first AIR application going. The first thing you do is get everything in place to start running and building AIR applications. This tutorial requires a little knowledge of Flex.
Create a Data-Driven Application69
The SQLite database engine is fast, lightweight and well suited to client-side data management. In this tutorial, you will learn how to build data-driven Adobe AIR applications using the SQLite components.
25 Excellent And Useful Adobe AIR Tutorials and Resources71
An overview of useful tutorials for newbies and professional developers.
Adobe AIR Video Tutorials
Cool Adobe Air Applications
GMDesk lets you run Gmail, Google Calendar, Google Docs and Google Maps as a stand-alone application, letting you do all your mail handling, calendar planning, document reading and map browsing in one spot.
101 Adobe AIR Resources to Add to Your Toolbelt of Awesomeness101
Adobe AIR application showcase and resources.
- 1 http://www.adobe.com/products/air/
- 2 http://labs.mozilla.com/2007/10/prism/
- 3 http://blogs.adobe.com/air/2009/01/air_passes_100_million_install.html?sdid=EENCL
- 4 http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/marketplace/index.cfm?event=marketplace.categories&marketplaceId=1&categoryid=
- 5 http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/air.html
- 6 http://www.adobe.com/products/air/tools/sdk/thankyou/mac.html
- 7 http://www.adobe.com/products/air/tools/sdk/thankyou/win.html
- 8 http://www.adobe.com/products/air/tools/sdk/thankyou/linux.html
- 9 http://www.adobe.com/devnet/air/
- 10 http://www.adobe.com/devnet/air/ajax/
- 11 http://www.adobe.com/devnet/air/flash/
- 12 http://www.adobe.com/devnet/air/flex/
- 13 http://www.adobe.com/products/air/tools/sdk/
- 14 http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/communityengine/index.cfm?event=homepage&productId=4
- 15 http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/index.cfm?forumid=75
- 16 http://www.adobe.com/support/air/
- 17 http://forums.aptana.com/viewforum.php?f=18&sid=5793d5207bf31f7c0aa76891b03d2ef1
- 18 http://www.adobe.com/go/kb403150
- 19 http://www.aptana.com/air
- 20 http://www.aptana.com/docs/index.php/Developing_Adobe_AIR_projects
- 21 http://www.adobe.com/devnet/air/ajax/articles/building_on_air_in_aptana.html
- 22 http://www.aptana.com/air
- 23 http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/entitlement/index.cfm?e=flex3email
- 24 http://www.monsterdebugger.com/
- 25 http://www.monsterdebugger.com/
- 26 http://www.adobe.com/products/air/tools/ajax/
- 27 http://www.scalenine.com/
- 28 http://www.scalenine.com/
- 29 http://livedocs.adobe.com/labs/air/1/jslr/index.html
- 30 http://onair.adobe.com/files/AIRforJSDevPocketGuide.pdf?sdid=CEYFA
- 31 http://www.actionscriptcheatsheet.com/pdf/AIRcheatsheet.pdf
- 32 http://www.actionscriptcheatsheet.com/pdf/AIRcheatsheet.pdf
- 33 http://www.inm.com/resource-center/en/white-paper/INM_AIR.pdf
- 34 http://airexamples.com/
- 35 http://airexamples.com/
- 36 http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/air/samples/
- 37 http://www.adobe.com/devnet/articles/air_sample_apps.html
- 38 http://www.adobe.com/devnet/articles/air_sample_apps.html
- 39 http://code.google.com/p/jsairsamples/
- 40 http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/tools-and-tips/introduction-to-adobe-air/
- 41 http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/tools-and-tips/introduction-to-adobe-air/
- 42 http://ajaxian.com/archives/ajaxian-featured-tutorial-build-your-first-adobe-air-app
- 43 http://www.senocular.com/air/tutorials/air101/
- 44 http://www.senocular.com/air/tutorials/air101/
- 45 http://www.garyrgilbert.com/tutorials/air/beginner/publishingairapplication.cfm
- 46 http://www.sitepoint.com/article/adobe-air-todo-list-5-minutes/
- 47 http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/introduction-air
- 48 http://extjs.com/blog/2007/06/29/building-a-desktop-application-with-ext-air-aptana-and-red-bull/
- 49 http://extjs.com/blog/2007/06/29/building-a-desktop-application-with-ext-air-aptana-and-red-bull/
- 50 http://www.peterelst.com/blog/2008/04/07/introduction-to-sqlite-in-adobe-air/
- 51 http://www.peterelst.com/blog/2008/04/07/introduction-to-sqlite-in-adobe-air/
- 52 http://weblogs.macromedia.com/pent/archives/2008/01/using_sql_with.html
- 53 http://www.senocular.com/air/tutorials/airorbrowserfactory/
- 54 http://www.senocular.com/air/tutorials/airorbrowserfactory/
- 55 http://www.senocular.com/air/tutorials/dragdropimageviewer/
- 56 http://www.senocular.com/air/tutorials/windowmoveandresize/
- 57 http://www.senocular.com/air/tutorials/fileassociation/
- 58 http://www.senocular.com/air/tutorials/fileassociation/
- 59 http://www.senocular.com/air/tutorials/clipboardtext/
- 60 http://www.senocular.com/air/tutorials/clipboardtext/
- 61 http://jurnal.tripmedia.ro/phone-book-adobe-air/1536.html
- 62 http://jurnal.tripmedia.ro/phone-book-adobe-air/1536.html
- 63 http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/other/building-an-adobe-air-application-with-flex/
- 64 http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/other/building-an-adobe-air-application-with-flex/
- 65 http://www.switchonthecode.com/tutorials/adobe-air-and-flex-getting-started
- 66 http://www.sitepoint.com/article/learn-adobe-air-part-1/
- 67 http://www.sitepoint.com/article/learn-adobe-air-part-2/
- 68 http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/other/building-an-adobe-air-application-with-flex/
- 69 http://learnola.com/2008/12/03/adobe-air-tutorial-create-a-application/
- 70 http://flashenabledblog.com/2007/06/14/websnapshot-a-simple-adobe-air-application/
- 71 http://www.smashingapps.com/2009/03/06/25-excellent-and-useful-adobe-air-tutorials-resources.html
- 72 http://www.thetechlabs.com/
- 73 http://www.gotoandlearn.com/play?id=44
- 74 http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/other/building-an-adobe-air-application-with-flex/
- 75 http://www.gotoandlearn.com/play?id=42
- 76 http://www.gotoandlearn.com/play?id=42
- 77 http://www.gotoandlearn.com/play?id=41
- 78 http://www.gotoandlearn.com/play?id=41
- 79 http://www.gotoandlearn.com/play?id=80
- 80 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hsDh1Qq5Zw
- 81 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RM3Ib216HVU
- 82 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1f5WnMFnUM
- 83 http://snippage.gabocorp.com/
- 84 http://snippage.gabocorp.com/
- 85 http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/marketplace/index.cfm?marketplaceid=1&event=marketplace.offering&categoryid=6&offeringid=10118
- 86 http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/marketplace/index.cfm?marketplaceid=1&event=marketplace.offering&categoryid=6&offeringid=10118
- 87 http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/marketplace/index.cfm?event=marketplace.offering&marketplaceid=1&categoryid=6&offeringid=10162
- 88 http://kuler.adobe.com
- 89 http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/marketplace/index.cfm?event=marketplace.offering&marketplaceid=1&categoryid=6&offeringid=10162
- 90 http://funkatron.com/spaz
- 91 http://funkatron.com/spaz
- 92 http://code.google.com/p/readair/
- 93 http://code.google.com/p/readair/
- 94 http://www.twhirl.org/
- 95 http://www.twhirl.org/
- 96 http://www.xeroproject.com/diggReader/
- 97 http://www.robertnyman.com/gmdesk/
- 98 http://snook.ca/snoto/
- 99 http://richardsprojects.co.uk/products/font-picker/
- 100 http://www.danieldura.com/code/moderator
- 101 http://www.jasonbartholme.com/101-adobe-air-resources-to-add-to-your-toolbelt-of-awesomeness/
- 102 http://www.jasonbartholme.com/101-adobe-air-resources-to-add-to-your-toolbelt-of-awesomeness/
- 103 http://refreshingapps.com/
- 104 http://refreshingapps.com/