Flavour Extended: The Ultimate Icon Set For Web Designers

A couple of months ago we released the beautiful Flavours Icon set that was designed by Oliver Twardowski, a graphic designer from Bonn, Germany, the set aimed to help designers in their Web and user interface designs, containing 177 icons in a resolution of 48×48 pixels. In this post we release the updated version of the icon set, now with 452 icons, freely available to use in private or commercial projects.

Screenshot

The files are transparent PNGs, and the source file (.psd) is available for download as well (see the links below). As always, the set is completely free and may be used for any private or commercial project without any restrictions whatsoever.

Download the set for free (450+ icons)!

Screenshot

Screenshot

We express sincere gratitude to Oliver for his truly amazing work. Please let us know in the comments if this release meets your expectations. And if not, please let us know what we could improve in the upcoming releases!

Motivation behind the design

As usual, here are some insights from the designer himself:

After releasing my first pixel-based iconset ‘flavour’ right here at Smashing magazine, the feedback of the readers was incredible! I received tons of emails, awesome critics and plenty of suggestions for the sequel. Back then I wrote that I wanted to create and publish a second version. So I took a little time out of icon design to get my mind clear and then started to work on the <<extended>>-package. With the ideas in my head and the great suggestions I got from you, designing Flavour <<extended>> was a blast and so much fun for me. Finally I came up with 270 new icons – many more than I would have expected initially. And I hope you like them all and use them in your web-projects.

As last time, all icons are 100% free to use for both private and commercial projects and all the .psd-sources are available to download as well. Please feel free to learn from them and make them fit your personal needs if they don’t do yet.

Have fun with the package and please feel free to support me with more feedback in the comments, via email at icons [at] addictedtocoffee.de or on Twitter! Together we can even create a third part if you like one to be released!

Best wishes from Bonn, Germany,

Oliver

What icons do you miss in this set?

Please let us know and we’ll design them for you and release in the final version of the package!

Related posts

Please take a look at other high-quality freebies as well:

The Smashing Team loves high-quality content and cares about little details. Through our online articles, books and eBooks and Smashing Conferences, we are committed to stimulating creativity and strengthening the Web design community’s creative forces.

Nice icons!!!

awesome, gorgeous, excellent, brilliant!

Very Nice Icons, Thank You

Just in time… i’m about to start on a new project and looking for some new icons. Good thing you included Source PSD also as i’m searching for 16×16 in specific.

Thanks Oliver for the set. you save the day.

DKumar M.
    @instantshift

Wow! Nice icons!!

Will use it on my site

Nice set. Great effort put into it.
    But the “ultimate” Icon Pack is still Silk.

WOW! Amazing icons. Thanks – you’re the best!

Great icon set! I love them!

Does anyone know how you can create such a preview image without having to do it all by hand?

Wow this is really nice.

i will serious use these on my site :D

They are quit complete i think!

i dont think that these icons are good. just icons, and it FREE (wow, big bubble behind it:) ) still, the author seems to be not very professional to know that PayPal logo cannot be applied that way

Great collection..

Really good set!!

Thank you, loved the originals and can’t believe your giving the psd’s away too! thanks smashing mag and Oliver!

Great set! Didn’t even have to hesitate to download them.

I do miss a few social icons e.g. Facebook, Vimeo, YouTube, etc.. suggestion?

Thanks! @TomInc

Dalibor Vasiljevic

May 20, 2009 1:17 am

Nice one. It deserves to be included on my blog :)

its ok but quality is not up to the mark… anyways good attempt.

Great set, thanks a lot, many interesting items here !

Cool! I was looking for that exact podcast icon, with the purple ripples behind the dude. Great!

I agree with trendez, its ok. but thats all i can say about it. Its not really smashing. but than again, its free. what else would you expect..

Cool, thanks a lot for these amazing icons

wooo 21 person to comment im the best. Great post.

not impressive but good sety

Nice icons. Will be nice to have these icons in my library collection.

Amazing icons! Thanks alot

owesome, thanks for the sharing and hard working :)

Very nice work man! Just Love the set <3

Thanks… great set!

Would like to see a shopping cart icon.

superb icons….!!! thank you

Thanks it was great…
    Looking cool icons.

WOW, those are really sexy. Can icons be sexy? Absolutely. This is exactly the set I needed, such a wide range of useful images.

Tremendous work, many, many thanks!

Great set – would be brilliant to have in Fireworks format for non-photoshop users. Is there a way to export psd to Fireworks (PNG) in editable layers?

Nice icons but they are still far away from the real ultimate icons pack :

Many thanks, Oliver, for your incredible work – it´s real generous to share this with us!
    Grüße aus Österreich und weiterhin viel Glück!

Many thanks for this amazing artwork… !

Thank you very much, this is nice set of icons. These will be very helpful in my future designs.

Thank you for your hard work. This is a great resource and it is much appreciated.

Thank you!

wow! It’s great, thank you!

Wow all free!!!!! Sweet thank you!

got to love free icons. especially high quality. thanks a ton!

Yan Charbonneau

May 20, 2009 5:53 am

Wow! Nice! Thank you, great work!

Really nice work.
    Thanks for releasing them free.

I hope Oliver Twardowski takes a moment today to reflect on what a bad ass he is. For he is a jolly good fellow!

I’d say ‘audio / speakers / headphones’ are missing ;)

Good work man, i’d buy you a beer!

Generous:)

i love the details like the selection of screens and credit cards :). its made for internet creatives made by a full time creative. the web20 icons, the mac influences, the sense of humor in some icons (bluescreen haha), the personality (cup – you should know that he is a coffee junkie…seriously…) and things like that are what a set makes relevant for people like us.
    well done ;)

Palm Pre images & Videos

May 20, 2009 7:34 am

thanks for this free set

Wow!!! This is amazing– you are the best! I love free stuff! :)

Thanks, Oliver!

Richard Davies

May 20, 2009 8:20 am

Missing house/home, building/office, and gears icons.

Benedikt Roßgardt

May 20, 2009 8:39 am

Cool! Thank you!

450+ Icons? That´s awesome. Thanks.

Thanks a lot, these icons are far better than famfamfam, Are they free to use for commercial websites?

(SM) Yes, they are free to use.

OMG, this set is amazing, thanks for doing – and sharing – this !!!

Just epic. Much respect for Oliver Twardowski from my behalf. Thank you so much, I’ll scavenger through the Icons and see if I come up with any to provide more Ideas.

Another talented designer impacting the web.

Amazing, the first lot were great, but these are awesome!

Thanks for your hard work.

A lot of beautiful icons here, some are a little ehhh though.

Thank you so much for keeping me feeded with brilliant freebies! Keep it up! High quality for a price of free, I like that.

Wow!! free for commercial!!

thanks for the high quality icons, this is definitely going to come in handy many times. thanks a ton

some of them are really ugly..
    but 450.. ok..

Adolfo Tavizón

May 20, 2009 12:56 pm

Just add a “video” icon and it will be perfect, maybe a videocamera or something like that, but boys, this is awesome!!!!

Great! Thanks for the icons. I would like some icons that convey security for an ecommerce site. Any chance you can make some for the final release?

Wonderful!
    Thanks a lot for these usefull icons!!!

Wow!
    Really useful.
    Thanks a lot for this :D

greatttttttttt I’m very geatful
    thnkX

Thank you for sharing this! Oliver Twardowski!
    really beautiful icon pack.!

Nice work – thanks for sharing these icons.

Thanks….. Nice collection

many thanks!

Big thanks … its very nice …

awesome icons

Thanks for sharing

Smashing Magazine does it again! Thank you Oliver, these are great!

Karol Adamczyk

May 21, 2009 9:02 am

Great icon’s but not as useful as the famfamfam icons.

The problem with these kinda detailed icons is that it’s hard to make them fit in you design. 1 color or black and white icons are usually much more useful. You can adjust the colors easily. But I guess that’s what the psd’s are for :)

Amazing. Thanks!

thank you! from Korea

Incredible – thanks for releasing these. They will come in handy. Nice work!

Thanks Oliver and SM for these cool icons! :)

Thank you for sharing! Very nice to use in our webdesign

Awesome! I’m not sure how I got by before i found smashing…
    Thanks Smashing! and Thanks Oliver!!

really great job, I appreciate your good work!
    maybe thumb up, thumb down and a heart icon can be included.

Danny Halarewich

May 22, 2009 2:18 pm

Thanks Oliver! These are great. The PSD source is also really nice to have.

Here’s a nice collection of shopping cart icons. Have a look!

Beautiful! Thanks a ton :)

thank you very much for this.

Love these! A phone would be a nice addition to the set…

Excellent release Oliver ! It will be a great help for my new project

very nice collection

Absolutely great! Many thanks!!!!

I like the comments icon. Using it (slightly recolored) on my website. ^^

Great! thanks for the hard work.
    Some says that silk still the best and the ultimate free package.
    I agree but silk is a functions icons, excellent for any dynamic web app.
    BUT these icons are great for other tasks

Amazing set, Oliver.

I typically don’t leave comments too often on design blogs but a thank you is in order for sharing your work, free of charge, and having the grace to include the PSD file.

Very kind and great work as well. Take care.

Wow. Thanks for the icons, I’ve already started using a few. Good work.

the email icon is missing! i mean a simple envelope… but thanks

Lovely icons! Thanks so much Oliver!!!

Thank you so much!

Simon Harlinghausen

June 8, 2009 11:29 am

These icons are amazing. Thanks.

I agree with Kevin G. I would also like to see a phone.

Also a mail icon without anything in the top right corner (i.e. add, forward, alert) would be great.

Amazing set. Thank you so much!

def need a phone of sorts. mobile, home and office.

Francis Boudreau

June 12, 2009 8:10 am

Very nice set, thank you!

Thanks a lot, very good icons!

Tanaka13 - Créations du Net

June 24, 2009 10:39 pm

As I have always said you guys are the best…..Keep it up… and I’ll keep looking you up.

This is wonderful icon set! A really outstanding piece of work. :)

I am just missing icon for server. I would like to use this icon set to draw diagrams into my thesis and server icon would be really nice.

Perhaps there could be more server icons – one generic and other for some types of server (they could have small icon somewhere), e.g. database server, file server (with folder icon), Active Directory od LDAP server (a group-of-people icon), authentification server (with lock icon), firewall (with wall icon? (not sure)), mail server (with envelope), web server (with globe), perhaps some for streaming audio or video.
    But this is just an idea, icon for one server would be good enough :)

Just another idea came (this is the last one, I promise :)):
    It would be nice to add icons for some office and specific network devices (such as router, switch and telephone, maybe bigger printer, copy machine or multifunction device), then this iconset could be used in another program to replace Visio for diagrams.

I really like this icon set. Keep up doing the good work! :)

This is so great. Thank you very much for this and all the other excellent stuff =)

Luv many of them n will use it in my project, thanks…you save my day :)

Verious Smith III

July 1, 2009 2:24 pm

This is a great set of icons and Free! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

LOL @ the windows screen icon. I take it you’re not a fan :)

Thank You, This very good….

Very useful icons – thank you!

Thank you! :)

相当好的png 哈哈 nice

Kudos for you! What can I say but a BIG THANK YOU? Your package saved my day.
    Thank you very much!

thanks alot man for this icons :)

A belated thank you for your icon set. These are so handy, and gorgeous work. Thank you for your generosity.

Awesome Icons thanks a lot….

Good Ones!

Great Collection. Thank you! :)

very gud . i like that .i need cursers ,themes. icons .screensavers.

Thanks..Very Good!

These are awesome. Thanks again SM!!!

THANK YOU!!!!

These are amazing, thank you!

This is amazing, thank you!

Thank you!

Thank U !! This makes my Business PC so cute !

thanks so much for the icons set

Thanks for this fantastic set of great icons, it’s awesome!

Great collection, thank’s ! I just miss a ‘help’ and ‘info’ icons.

Awesome, thanks for share!

inspirationfeed

March 27, 2010 4:58 am

Beautiful icons!

Very nice. Thanks for such a high quality icons.

Very Nice Icons, Thank You :)

Thanks a lot for this beauty and useful icons.

Great work! This means a world for a newbie in web design world. Hope to make nice icon set myself one day. Thanks!

good icons

It’s very good.
    I like this.
    Thanks for share.
    And I wrote something to introduce this project for my readers.
    You can find the post about this in my website.
    If something is wrong,pls figure it out.thanks.

Amazing work! Thanks!

Nice work.
    Thanks for sharing.

thanks dude

Awesome. Just awesome. I will give this link to everyone, even to those who didn’t ask. Thanks!

love the icons

thk u very very much kub.