SimpleFolio: A Free Clean Portfolio WordPress Theme

Today we are glad to release a beautiful, simple and clean portfolio WordPress theme — SimpleFolio, designed by Omar E. Corrales1 and released for Smashing Magazine and its readers. SimpleFolio is a portfolio theme that includes a blog and a very extensive option page that allows you to exclude all your portfolio items from the blog page. It also includes a front page slider.

It has 2 different widget areas and threaded comments, and also supports paged comments and has 2 different page templates for advanced usage. The control of images is done from the post page.

Download the theme for free!

Screenshot3

Features

Here are some of the features of the theme:

• CSS-based layout,
  • 2 columns of fixed width,
  • widget-ready,
  • XHTML 1.0 Transitional valid,
  • multi-browser compatibility: tested on Firefox, Safari , IE7, IE8, Chrome,
  • easy to setup, theme options page.

Front page

Portfolio

Portfolio

Options page in back-end

Single post, main area

Single post, threaded comments

Single post, sidebar

Behind the design

As always, here are some insights from the designer:

I created this theme after getting tired of all the fancy design themes that are very popular now a days, this is a design for people that just need the job done without complicating them selfs. The best use can be either for just someone thats starting to blog or some artist that needs to expose there art.

Thank you, Omar. We appreciate your work and your good intentions!

Footnotes

1. 1 http://Slimmity.com
  2. 2 http://www.slimmity.com/go/simplefolio
  3. 3 http://demo.slimmity.com/simplefolio/
  4. 4 http://www.slimmity.com/go/simplefolio
  5. 5 http://www.smashingmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/uploader/images/simplefolio/full_preview.png
  6. 6 http://www.smashingmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/images/simplefolio/portfolio-main.png
  7. 7 http://www.smashingmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/images/simplefolio/single-post.png
  8. 8 http://www.smashingmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/images/simplefolio/options-page.png
  9. 9 http://www.slimmity.com/download/SimpleFolio-v1.5.zip
  10. 10 http://www.smashingmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/SimpleFolio-v1.5.zip
  11. 11 http://slimmity.com/forum/
  12. 12 http://www.slimmity.com/2010/02/free-wordpress-theme-simplefolio/
  13. 13 http://www.smashingmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/images/simplefolio/front-page.png
  14. 14 http://www.smashingmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/images/simplefolio/portfolio-main.png
  15. 15 http://www.smashingmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/images/simplefolio/portfolio-main.png
  16. 16 http://www.smashingmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/images/simplefolio/options-page.png
  17. 17 http://www.smashingmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/images/simplefolio/single-post.png
  18. 18 http://www.smashingmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/images/simplefolio/single-post.png
  19. 19 http://www.smashingmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/images/simplefolio/single-post.png

↑ Back to topShare on Twitter

Regular contributor and the member of the Smashing Editorial team.

Advertising

Thx Omar! Thx SM! very very Useful!

Thx Omar! Thx SM! very very Useful!

Looks realy nice, thanks!

Looks realy nice, thanks!

Seems like Im changing my Design! ;)

THX Omar!

Seems like Im changing my Design! ;)

THX Omar!

Love it!
    It’s absolutely great!

Love it!
    It’s absolutely great!

Yeah. Omar You Rock. Great Man. Also thanks to SM for bringing this to community

Nice one!

Nice one!

This is a really useful and particularly good looking theme!

I have an idea where to use it!

Great job.

This is a really useful and particularly good looking theme!

I have an idea where to use it!

Great job.

Roland C. Müller

February 7, 2010 9:17 am

Very nice and minimalist theme! I like it very much. Thanks for this post!
    Best wishes
    Roland

Roland C. Müller

February 7, 2010 9:17 am

Very nice and minimalist theme! I like it very much. Thanks for this post!
    Best wishes
    Roland

A demo for this theme would’ve been nice.

A demo for this theme would’ve been nice.

Gibt es Möglichkeiten das Template “freizukaufen”? Heißt kein Copyright? Jeder weiß das Fremdwerbung, bzw. fremde Copyrights in Portfolios ziemlich schlecht zur Geltung kommen!

simplicity always rocks :)

simplicity always rocks :)

Is Elja Friedman the wife or daugther of Vitaly Friedman?

Is Elja Friedman the wife or daugther of Vitaly Friedman?

oh yeah please a live demo for this one, thanks in advance.

Smashing Editorial

February 7, 2010 9:54 am

The link to the demo-version of the theme and the link to the release post on designer’s website were added. Thank you, AxI.

oh yeah please a live demo for this one, thanks in advance.

Smashing Editorial

February 7, 2010 9:54 am

What font is being used in the logo? Thank you

What font is being used in the logo? Thank you

@Axl & JP, If you visit my site you will find a support forum and a live demo.

@Ashlan K, the font being used in the logo and headers is Museo.

@Axl & JP, If you visit my site you will find a support forum and a live demo.

@Ashlan K, the font being used in the logo and headers is Museo.

Image pre-loading required in s3Slider.js

Image pre-loading required in s3Slider.js

I just want to say thanks! This theme is amazing! I do wish you guys would add more customizability options like the K2 theme instead of having to have to play with the core HTML and CSS. Otherwise, it’s an amazing theme that by far surpasses K2 in terms of its basic look and feel. I am using it for two of my sites now. Thank you!

After activating theme I see only blank page. I disabled all plugins and it didn’t helped.
    Wordpress version: 2.9.1
    Any ideas?

Wordpress version: 2.9.1
    Any ideas?

thanks for creating such a excellent theme!

thanks for creating such a excellent theme!

I’m not sure what’s going on here, but the demo seems to take a very long time just to switch to things like “about,” “blog” etc. Could some Javascript be getting stuck in very long, unnecessary loops? I don’t think it is my internet connection. And I’m using Firefox 3.6.

Carla | Green and Chic

February 7, 2010 11:26 am

I love how simple and clean it is!

Carla | Green and Chic

February 7, 2010 11:26 am

I love how simple and clean it is!

Great work guys!
    We tipped our caps to you over at http://themesforge.com

Great work guys!
    We tipped our caps to you over at http://themesforge.com

I think the demonstrationpage isn’t slow because of the template, its the server. My demopage is as fast as usually http://soyludico.de/wordpress/

Question: Why does the portfoliopage donnot work? :/

Question: Why does the portfoliopage donnot work? :/

Nice one. leaves plenty of room for personalization .

Nice one. leaves plenty of room for personalization .

Great! I was waiting for a new free wordpress theme on smashing mag! Good job!

Great! I was waiting for a new free wordpress theme on smashing mag! Good job!

Great Theme !! marks the trend of 2010 : Simplicity
    Does the .zip file contain a .psd ??

Great Theme !! marks the trend of 2010 : Simplicity
    Does the .zip file contain a .psd ??

this is one of the best wordpres themes ever! thanks for sharing all that stuff: the psd’s, the theme and the little readme file that explains itself.

truly and simply amazing and trend setting.

many greetings from germany

truly and simply amazing and trend setting.

many greetings from germany

I like the look and feel of it.
    Unfortunately it’s not translatable. Which is something I’m definitely looking for in a Theme, pushed by Smashing.
    Kinda disappointing to me.

Smashing Editorial

February 7, 2010 1:41 pm

What do you mean, Konstantin? I am not sure what is your problem.

Well, if someone happens to want to use the Theme in any other language than English, he/she would have to go alter all the templates of the theme by either translating them directly, or making them compatible with WordPress’ translation API.

Other than that it is a nice piece of code!

Do you mean that the theme does not have .mo .po files included and that to translate you would need to edit every .php file and manually translate the English text inside them?

I like the look and feel of it.
    Kinda disappointing to me.

Smashing Editorial

February 7, 2010 1:41 pm

What do you mean, Konstantin? I am not sure what is your problem.

Other than that it is a nice piece of code!

awesome and simple its just what I’m looking for!

awesome and simple its just what I’m looking for!

wow! nice themes.. i like it very much.. :)

wow! nice themes.. i like it very much.. :)

parse error in functions.php line 197

parse error in functions.php line 197

So sick of Museo…

So sick of Museo…

Pretty cool! I think that I’ll try it in my site.

Pretty cool! I think that I’ll try it in my site.

Very nice. But Where is the contact page. Its listed in features, Any screenshot?

Thanks.

Thanks.

I got the parse error on line 197 problem too and I was running the theme on a live host (with WP 2.9.1)

Lovely! Good job, and thank you for sharing it with all of us! I especially love the typography – what font are you using for titles?

Thanks again!

Thanks again!

Great posting. Personally I find this design is not well suited to be a portfolio design. In my professional years, I’ve found that when a client is looking at a portfolio.. they want to see all your work at a glance, and then dig deeper. In the portfolio above you have to click through to see all the work.

hello, great theme !! one thing which really i missed in and that is its using -moz-border-radius style in it to make the four corners rounded right! which isnt supposed to work in IE. lol how do u do that ?? !! im going to download and take a look in the css but with the firebug i didnt find anything so im kinda curious .
    regards

Ayaz, Im not using -moz-border-radius for the for 4cornes, im using javascript actually.

regards

Hey agian. yeah i just checked out using DD Roundies im gona study it and see if i can work it out for my site too :) thanks again for this breakthrough for me lol

The following themes are installed but incomplete. Themes must have a stylesheet and a template.

Name Description
    simplefolio-wp-theme Stylesheet is missing.

Name Description
    simplefolio-wp-theme Stylesheet is missing.

I’m getting the same problem alex. Haven’t yet found a solution. Maybe check the support forums?

I had the same issue – you can’t just upload the .zip like with some other themes. Unzip the theme on your computer and find the folder labeled simply simplefolio then upload that via FTP (i.e. NOT via WordPress) to your wp-content/themes folder. You’ll then find the theme in your WP dashboard ready to activate.

I love this template, simple but very cool…thanks for share

I love this template, simple but very cool…thanks for share

Looks good and doesn’t make my eyes get sored.
    Well, thanks Omar for the theme, and thanks SmashMag for delivering the theme to us :D

Looks good and doesn’t make my eyes get sored.

I really like the portfolio implementation and code.

I really like the portfolio implementation and code.

Nice one. Thanks. I like that kind of posts. It’s good to learn how it’s made theme:) and at all it’s very nice theme:)

jQuery slider is buggy under Opera 10.10 while loading next images.

jQuery slider is buggy under Opera 10.10 while loading next images.

on my localhost this theme is not working, when actived this theme and than is going white blank….help please..

Awesome simple theme!

Awesome simple theme!

Oh my gosh, it’s just what I needed! I’ve been looking for a really nice, clean, simple theme for my portfolio website, I step by your site to look for useful links and what do I see? Man, you got it right on time!

Thanks a bunch to the SmashingMagazine people and the designer himself. :)

Thanks a bunch to the SmashingMagazine people and the designer himself. :)

look good to me. clean. stylish

look good to me. clean. stylish

One more question: how can I get the same logo image? When I open PSD it shows me an “ok” mark instead of the one presented in demo.

que tema, mas completo.
    No solamente se deja personalizar, sino que esta muy bien estructurado para que funcione como todo un cms.
    Muchas gracias

Orlando, me agrada encontrar a alguien que hable español, se me complica un poco en ingles.
      Te hago una consulta, espero me puedas ayudar, en mi web no puedo ubicar el front page en el home, y ademas no puedo ver las fotos en los post del portfolio.
      Te imaginas alguna solucion simple?
      Gracias

Yo menos, tampoco veo las imágenes de la página principal por lo que estoy usando VSlider, un completo plugin que básicamente hace lo mismo. Y respecto a las imágenes del portfolio, si seleccionas “Select a category” y pones mostrar submenu, sale el menu y le das click, salen las páginas y todo incluso con paginación pero no salen lás imágenes ni el texto. Aún así no deja de ser un buen theme.

que tema, mas completo.
    Muchas gracias

Te imaginas alguna solucion simple?
      Gracias

Nice job! I like the choice of font and the clean layout. I’m looking to redo my portfolio site and this may do the trick. Thanks!

Neat & Professional theme Omar. Thanks for sharing your great work. Am sure lots ‘ll use this theme if they come across this :)

Great work Smashing magazine & Slimmity

Great work Smashing magazine & Slimmity

Like it for an internet radio station site

Like it for an internet radio station site

That’s amazing portfolio theme. Clean and useful. Thx…

That’s amazing portfolio theme. Clean and useful. Thx…

The validator finds 7 errors.
    And “CSS based layout” is barely a feature but besides that, it’s a great looking and simple theme, very nice.

The validator finds 7 errors.

Hi, very cool will use for sure, dumbness strikes….how and where do I download it for free….with thanks, Erikakw, salonunidad.wordpress.com

with a theme forest touch and smashing taste, great!

with a theme forest touch and smashing taste, great!

Nice work, Omar. I’m impressed!

Nice work, Omar. I’m impressed!

awesome!

awesome!

NICE!..i love this simple design :-)

NICE!..i love this simple design :-)

Really beautiful, very simple yet effective layout. Definitely trying this one out! Thanks!

Image uploading does not seem to work on PHP 5.3

Image uploading does not seem to work on PHP 5.3

Beautiful theme. Thanks…

Beautiful theme. Thanks…

Thanks Omar, and thanks Smashing. What a treat to see great design principles translate into a clean, versatile, and durable theme.

its actually a good theme, I like it , thanks for sharing

its actually a good theme, I like it , thanks for sharing

The theme’s PHP code is licensed GPL, but the rest of it seems to be under a more restrictive license. Perhaps Smashing Magazine could look into that / ask for a relicense?

I love this how simple and clean this.

I love this how simple and clean this.

nice theme, but Museo no Cyrillic! this makes it impossible to sites in Russian

nice theme, but Museo no Cyrillic! this makes it impossible to sites in Russian

I have the same error as Alex:
    Stylesheet is missing.

I tried installing it by uploading the theme.
    Anyone got lucky installing it?

You have to download and unzip the theme, not upload it directly as-downloaded, the zip contains more files then just the theme.

I have the same error as Alex:
    Stylesheet is missing.

I tried installing it by uploading the theme.
    Anyone got lucky installing it?

Nice this theme seems perfect for my site!

Nice this theme seems perfect for my site!

Maybe I miss the point, but… Shouldn’t a designer use their own design?

Not every designer is a website designer, if you specialize in logo design, flyer design, or even illustration for posters, why should you need to learn how to design for the web? You want to show what you can do, and maybe what you can do is not website design

Maybe I miss the point, but… Shouldn’t a designer use their own design?

it’s very succinctness. i ❤ it …

it’s very succinctness. i ❤ it …

Any way for you to make the sticky post available?
    I mean different style for it..

Any way for you to make the sticky post available?
    I mean different style for it..

Great, thank you Omar. It’s also a good chances to learn more about WordPress and theming for it.

Wishing you the best time :)

Wishing you the best time :)

Hey I like this. I was able to transform csunama.org overnight

Hey I like this. I was able to transform csunama.org overnight

This is probably the best portfolio theme, I’ve ever seen for WordPress! Beautiful work!
    Sadly, I have a little problem with it, because I want to use it on non-english blog and probably the Cufon can’t manage the cyrillic symbols. Sadly, I’m not good enough to make it work.

Still, this is one of the best themes available! Keep up the good work and thanks a lot for sharing this masterpiece with us, SM and Omar!

HI,

I really like this theme but one problem i noticed is that the background on the blog in IE7 doesnt go all the way to the bottom of the content – where as it does in FF. Any ideas? It’s probably just a CSS glitch in IE.

Other than that it looks awesome!

HI,

Other than that it looks awesome!

“The theme is released under GPL. You can use it for all your projects for free and without any restrictions. You may modify the theme as you wish. Please link to this article if you want to spread the word.”

Does this mean I can even take off the “© 2009 SimpleFolio Demo. All rights reserved.
    Theme by SmashingMagazine and Slimmity” at the bottom of the page? Or do I need to keep some kind of “theme designed by” information?

Hey Thanks for this great theme

Hey Thanks for this great theme

How I setup portfolio page ???

How I setup portfolio page ???

As of Feb. 11, 2010, the download link is for the 1.0 version. The latest on Slimmity’s site is 1.5 including bugfixes and security fixes. Make sure to get the latest version.

This is really important! One of my web sites has been hacked 3 times recently – until I updated the core sys and all components (it’s a Joomla site).

Another tip:

If you want the image slider on the home page to use the “exerpt” of your portfolio posts instead of using the first x number of characters from the post itself, open template-home.php, and change this:
    the_content_limit($text_count, ”)
    to this:
    the_excerpt()

Another tip:

the_content_limit($text_count, ”)
    to this:
    the_excerpt()

The live demo does not work:

“Error establishing a database connection”

:-(

The live demo does not work:

“Error establishing a database connection”

:-(

DEMO?

Error establishing a database connection

DEMO?

Error establishing a database connection

really nice theme. like it.

really nice theme. like it.

Im trying to follow the directions the theme came with but cant seem to get the portfolio page to work I can see my categories but is all blank. I LOVE THIS THEME and have already started to customize it.
    I like this Setup here: http://soyludico.de/wordpress
    Im trying to switch from my first plan of Joomla but way too heavy for this purpose.

Jason,
      You might be having problem using the theme. Try this:
      Create a page called “Home” and use the “Home” template instead of the “Portfolio” template.
      That should do the trick.
      I’ve come up with the steps on using this theme too.

regards
      WP Handyman

I like this Setup here: http://soyludico.de/wordpress

Jason,
      You might be having problem using the theme. Try this:
      That should do the trick.
      I’ve come up with the steps on using this theme too.

regards
      WP Handyman

Great theme Omar! I downloaded the “fixed” version and it work great. Very clean and uncluttered. I would describe it as being zen-like.

Well RTM read all the posts followed all the links and now have this template running as it was presented (mostly). Thank you Omar this template actually got me to start using Worpress.

nice them, well done

nice them, well done

Love the theme. How do you create the pagination for the portfolio page. On the demo it shows pages in number format. My installed SimplFolio theme shows older entries and newer entries. Do I need to install a seperate plugin for this? Thanks.

perfect theme , thanks

perfect theme , thanks

Looks a lovely theme – nice and clean.

Thanks for providing :)

Looks a lovely theme – nice and clean.

Thanks for providing :)

It’s a perfect theme for my online porfolio! Great!

It’s a perfect theme for my online porfolio! Great!

Great theme, and can work well now in Wolf CMS, too!

Thanks so much for this!

Great theme, and can work well now in Wolf CMS, too!

Thanks so much for this!

modifywordpress

March 4, 2010 9:45 am

I love this one :)

modifywordpress

March 4, 2010 9:45 am

I love this one :)

My portfolio page is not showing my posts, only my home show my posts(portfolio items under Portfolio category). What is going on?
    ps. my portfolio page is with portfolio template selected

ps: i found my mistake portfolio page only show posts with small images, post without images isnt showed

ps. my portfolio page is with portfolio template selected

Hi! have the same problem as Aenigmatis. After activating the theme, every page goes blank, even the admin interface. So I had to remove the theme via FTP to go back to default theme.
    Wordpress 2.9.2. german

Wordpress 2.9.2. german

Great theme. I’m doing some tweaking to make it work for my site, however I’m having an issue with the dropdown menus not showing in IE. When I make a sub page, the menu will show the nice dropdown in Firefox, but not IE. Also, in IE, the menu is just showing as standard text, not the cool javascript text rendering that shows in Firefox. Any fixes or workarounds for crappy Internet Explorer? Thanks.

Hey nice theme, I tweaked it a bit and made my portfolio already :) Check it out http://www.ivarprudnikov.com

But you know I have an issue with one of my works to appear in IE, although it is the same file as others *.png, but it is not showing in IE, even after few re-uploads of it.. Spooky..

looks like an excellent theme. I am downloading it. thanks for sharing!

looks like an excellent theme. I am downloading it. thanks for sharing!

Hi,

Im wondering how the custom fonts work in the theme. I can see its loading Museo.font.js but where is that referenced in the css of other files?

Great theme though!

Hi,

Great theme though!

Im new to this stuff, could anybody provide some help articles how to customize, i would be realy grateful.Thank You!
    Matt

Matt

Amazing!!! I just change my theme to use this one, you can see it working with some modifications and translated to spanish here ar http://elescribano.com.mx

Congrats

How did you edit your slider that way?? It’s awesome. If you could give me any pointers, that’d be awesome!

Congrats

This is nice but check out templatic.com for their themes, you will be amazed. I have purchased a Real Estate one from them, it is very good.

thanks

thanks

ı think it is useful thanks this is my wepsite guncelvideoizle.com I search convenient theme what do you think do you have any idea ? ı wait your comments

very nice theme, I download and add some customize here at hitachimassager

very nice theme, I download and add some customize here at hitachimassager

On the slider, my text is only coming up halfway, or not at all on some images

On the slider, my text is only coming up halfway, or not at all on some images

Thanks very much, Omar. Brilliant theme. I’m new to WP and it’s been difficult to get things to work at first (Home page/Home template thing had me bedeviled for a while), but I looked at 1,000 themes and this suited my needs perfectly. Thanks to Slimmity forum and helpers there, too. Fixed my problems. I’ll share my url once it’s worth viewing.

Pasang Indovision

May 7, 2010 9:00 pm

very nice theme. Thx

Pasang Indovision

May 7, 2010 9:00 pm

very nice theme. Thx

Great theme! I’ve use it here niittymaa.com

Great theme! I’ve use it here niittymaa.com

Great theme, but I could never get any response from the theme developer. So if you download this theme just know you’re basically on your own as far as configuring and customizing it.

This theme is ridiculously amazing. I can’t believe you offered this up for free, Omar. Thanks so much!

Thanks, Smashing and Omar!

To use this theme, do I have to keep the attribution links at the bottom?

Thanks, Smashing and Omar!

To use this theme, do I have to keep the attribution links at the bottom?

Thank you so much for this template, I’m a Graphic Designer venturing into web and now starting to learn wordpress, this file has helped me so much, it was easy to use and customize. I really appreciate it.

love this….thx bro..!

love this….thx bro..!

I guess http://www.slimmity.com/forum/topic/143 is a dead forum. so i’m posting it here.

I am able to fix the breadcrumb though; got the code from http://www.catswhocode.com/blog/how-to-breadcrumb-function-for-wordpress

2nd question still remain unsolved, How do i have a blog style for a specific link on NAV (say, Blog) it mostly shows the date, author and comments? I have a link “blog” which is using “default template” but the Blog page does’t show the date and other information and blog posts are not lined up in the Blog page.

Thanks.

Like I said in my earlier comment, if you download this theme just know you’re basically on your own as far as configuring and customizing it.

Thanks.

I like this one, this is the kind of clean theme I am looking. I might be using it on my blog:
    submitopresto.com/web/ so thank you for pointing this one up.

Keep up the good work SmashMag folks! I really appreciate your resources.

Best,

Franck

submitopresto.com/web/ so thank you for pointing this one up.

Keep up the good work SmashMag folks! I really appreciate your resources.

Best,

Franck

Very Good as always. Thank you for your reporting! I’ve done a detailed review of Simplefolio in my italian wordpress blog: temigratis-wordpress.it/portfolio/simplefolio/ . Thx a lot.

I’m having 2 issues with this template

1. When adding widgets to the my homepage under the featured posts, I have found that I can unfortunately only add 3 widgets, anymore and the 4 widgets goes to the wrong place.
    Check out this picture of it: http://i48.tinypic.com/2a5ngpv.jpg

I’ve seen on another persons website (http://www.samirkamble.com/) who is using the same theme that they have it set up properly I was wondering if you can tell me what I’m doing wrong.

2. I have my site set up with the featured posts working properly, I was wondering though is there a way to have it so when a featured post is clicked (from the homepage) it comes up as a normal blog post instead of taking up the entire page cutting off widgets on the right side and the comment section at the bottom?

I’m having 2 issues with this template

Check out this picture of it: http://i48.tinypic.com/2a5ngpv.jpg

SimpleFolio is a Free WordPress Theme with Premium-Quality features and design. You won’t find many free portfolio themes quite like this one.Overall this theme is really great. Plus, it is a really nice start for web designers looking to create something similar, as it already includes an options panel and it is really simple to customize.

ipad bag

ipad bag

Ready Layouts : Brochure Design Templates

June 22, 2010 7:17 am

Can sum it up in just one word…..fabulous. Have been struggling in using WP….as have no training in programming….but this seems to take care of most of the gray areas. I have downloaded some from here…will try and see it i am able to work with them.

Brochure Design Templates

Ready Layouts : Brochure Design Templates

June 22, 2010 7:17 am

Brochure Design Templates

Ive been searching for something like this for a while. Most designs are either too fancy or too minimalist. I simply love this. Great work and thanks for letting us have this.

Awesome theme! Thanks so much. I added my projects to it and had it up in no time, no problems. Big up to Omar! Have a look :) http:www.vincero.co.za

Please help me providing a hint how do i have a portfolio link to a specific category. I am a designer and on my website I have category “web”, “print”, “template”. I have a top nav
    “portfolio”, “About” “Contact”, When I click on “Portofolio” on top nav it goes to a page shows portfolio items from “all” categories which is been post recently. However what i want is on click “portfolio” it should be linked to “web”. I really appriciate your time and any help.

great theme…can’t wait to see another

great theme…can’t wait to see another

how to make a blog page like in the demo

how to make a blog page like in the demo

Hi Omar,

The Zip file does not contain the blog page template as the others – such as home page template, portfolio template, Full page template and redirect.

So please can you tell me how can i get the blog page template.

Thanks,
    Raghav.

Hi Omar,

So please can you tell me how can i get the blog page template.

Thanks,
    Raghav.

Thanks for the awesome theme! I frequently look at Smashing for new WP themes and I’ve seen the SimpleFolio post here several times, but I always thought it wasn’t really what I was looking for. But then the other day I looked a little closer and tried out the demo – turns out it’s exactly what I was looking for!

The setup was a little tricky as the readme is pretty sparse but the forums helped a little. Anyway, I can’t thank you guys enough and I’m a huge (long time!) fan of Smashing Magazine. My site with SimpleFolio: http://www.rocket5project.com

Using wordpress 3.0.1

Cufon, buttons and the white container not working in Internet Explorer 7. “cufon undefined”.
    Tried the solutions found around the web but no luck.

Willing to paypal for a solution.

Using wordpress 3.0.1

Tried the solutions found around the web but no luck.

Willing to paypal for a solution.

Hi,

Can I change the font Museo to something else and how? Museo doesn’t support Unicode very well.

Thank you!

Hi,

Thank you!

quite well

quite well

Thanks, Smashing and Omar! Awesome theme! Thanks so much.

Thanks, Smashing and Omar! Awesome theme! Thanks so much.

Says that the stylesheet is missing upon uploading the theme.

Says that the stylesheet is missing upon uploading the theme.

any way to replace one or two of the social icons with facebook and twitter?

any way to replace one or two of the social icons with facebook and twitter?

I just downloaded this great theme and it says that the stylesheet is missing. Anyone know how to fix this?

Make sure you upload the /simplefolio folder in the theme directory of your server.

Unzip the the downloaded package on your local system first, before uploading.

As a feedback to Omar and SM, I think the hierarchy of theme folders could be reworked or the users should be prompted before downloading.

Thanks for a great theme, btw!

Hey Marci,

You must create a zip file from the folder that contains only the php documents and then upload that zip.

Worked for me!

Unzip the the downloaded package on your local system first, before uploading.

Thanks for a great theme, btw!

Hey Marci,

Worked for me!

thanks for publishing. :)

thanks for publishing. :)

Any way to make the words under the rotating photos linkable as well as the photo itself?

Nothing is showing up on the first page?
    Just the post inte usual way, nit the way like on the pictures.
    What is wrong?

Nothing is showing up on the first page?
    Just the post inte usual way, nit the way like on the pictures.
    What is wrong?

I am having an issue. I created some subpages under Services on my site – http://justicewebdesign.com but they do not drop down when you hover over “Services”. If I try it on any other page, but the home page, or if I change the home page Template to the Default template, it works. What could be wrong with the Home Template?

Awesome theme.. nice and clean..

Awesome theme.. nice and clean..

Hi Omar.

Well done with your Simple folio theme really like it,do you know when you will have the latest version of this theme,so that i can know if it will work with WP 3.0.1

Also witch WP version works stable and is compatible with the simple folio theme ?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Johann

Hi Omar.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Johann

clean and superb. really realy cool.
    thanks for sharing

clean and superb. really realy cool.
    thanks for sharing

How can o create dropdown menu in the top menu ? in demo appears but can’t do it with the theme that i downloaded, tnk

Seems horribly broken on the latest version of WordPress 3.0.4 :(

Seems horribly broken on the latest version of WordPress 3.0.4 :(

Cool theme, however, why did you change it so the site title is repeated when you leave tagline blank?

I’m impressed with this wp theme. Thanks for sharing this. just downloaded it and i’ll do some testings later.
    will this theme have future support?

will this theme have future support?

It’s worth to mention, besides that it’s excellent theme – disable Lightbox plugin after this theme installation, you’ll save a couple of hours in your life :)

Well how about that…

I’ve been going nuts trying to figure out what changes I made to the theme that caused the black bar to appear at the top of all pages.

Turns out it’s part of the theme!!!

Having a ‘Duh’ moment.

Well how about that…

Turns out it’s part of the theme!!!

Having a ‘Duh’ moment.

Dude, this design/theme rocks socks. nicely done, and good work.
    cheers

Dude, this design/theme rocks socks. nicely done, and good work.
    cheers

yipes. Help! After updating to WordPress 3.1 I’m now getting the following plus the slider no longer works:

Message: ‘this[...].style’ is null or not an object
    Line: 19
    Char: 30711
    Code: 0
    URI: http://www.k2s-today.com/wp/wp-content/themes/simplefolio/js/jquery.js

How to delete border for the image of this theme. I still get some trouble when modify the css but it can not change it

Message: ‘this[...].style’ is null or not an object
    Line: 19
    Char: 30711
    Code: 0
    URI: http://www.k2s-today.com/wp/wp-content/themes/simplefolio/js/jquery.js

hi dude, very nice theme, but after updating to 3.1 I’ve the same error as mark and the slider doesn’t work.

TypeError: Result of expression ‘this[G].style’ [undefined] is not an object.

any idea, what the problem could be?

greetzy
    univers

TypeError: Result of expression ‘this[G].style’ [undefined] is not an object.

any idea, what the problem could be?

greetzy
    univers

Thanks for such a great theme. It works fine when I m testing it on my localhost but there is one problem that the portfolio page is not showing the list of categories at the top.

Like how all the categories are being displayed in this demo here and we can select the category we are willing to see.

Please help in this.

Please help in this.

I’m not a WordPress template developer, but it would seem to me that an upgrade to WordPress shouldn’t break a template.

In the case of the SimpleFolio Theme, did it break because the developer didn’t follow rules or guidelines when developing the template?

It’s great that there are knowledgeable people quick to post a fix when something breaks. With this template, would be a bit more hesitant to press the upgrade button so quickly.

~Paul

~Paul

Hello,

How do you change the background color of the header? I went into my style.css page and changed all instances of the original color (#e7e7e2) to black, but the header is still the same grey color. What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

Hello,

I tried to install this on a fresh domain and install of 3.1- it won’t install.

Warning: fopen(/home2/mysite/public_html/wp-content/themes/SimpleFolio-v1.5/style.css) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home2/mysite/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4284

Warning: fread(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home2/mysite/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4287

Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home2/mysite/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4290

Then it says the stylesheet is missing.

Hi DJ,

the error is because the .zip does not contain the theme files at root level.
      Instead they are in a subfolder.
      Solution:

download the zip and extract
      goto the subfolder with the theme files and create a new .zip
      upload the new .zip to your wordpress install and off you go.

Best regards,

dirk adamsky

I tried to install this on a fresh domain and install of 3.1- it won’t install.

Then it says the stylesheet is missing.

Hi DJ,

the error is because the .zip does not contain the theme files at root level.
      Instead they are in a subfolder.
      Solution:

download the zip and extract
      goto the subfolder with the theme files and create a new .zip
      upload the new .zip to your wordpress install and off you go.

Best regards,

dirk adamsky

This link is broken, please repost the solution for the slider!

The fix for the scroller and WP 3.1.

Eduard, did you ever get a response to your question. I am having the same issues with my slider.

This link is broken, please repost the solution for the slider!

The fix for the scroller and WP 3.1.

I just updated my site to wordpress 3.1 and lost the slider on the home page. Is there a way to get it back?

I’ve created a “mirror” of the broken link from post 197. You can find everything over here:

Hi guys, I wanted to tweet this but there’s no quick tweet thing… maybe you could add this to your site x

I just attempted to install this theme but it says that the stylesheet is missing. Any suggestions on how to get my hands on the stylesheet?

hi sorry im new to wordpress and its themes, can i also add some space(s) for ads with this theme?

Not sure if anyone still needs this info…but it helped me:

The sub-menu will not show on hover for the home page (I think the portfolio page as well) because of a bad jquery file in the template js folder. Simply update the file with the updated script and voila, it works.

Not sure if anyone still needs this info…but it helped me:

It looks like this theme is not compatible with upcoming WordPress version 3.2 which is in beta version.

Please fix it. :-)

Please fix it. :-)

This is Perfect! and exactly what I’ve been looking for, Thank You for creating and sharing this.

Can I just ask is there a way to disble the cufon and just have normal fonts? and how can I do that.

Martin

How long until this theme works again?

This theme is seriously the awesomest free wp theme I’ve ever seen, seriously! Thanks for your hard work :)

does anyone know how to add phone number on top right corner? I can add a phone number by editing style.css and header.php but I wanted it to be in line with the wrapper and not all the way to the right.

align to the right makes the phone number goes all the way to the right while adding a margin doesn’t look good when viewing it in different resolution. float right doesn’t work as well, any ideas? thank you

I have just upgraded to WordPress 3.3 and the slider now does not display the images. Can someone let me know what is required to fix this so the image display again? My site is kamran.com.au . Many thanks.

I have the same problem with upgrade to WP 3.3 – the slider doesn´t work!

Nik Cree I´ve see you fix the problem … please help me. Many thanks!

@Tobias
        To fix the slider you need to do the following:

In the dashboard, select in the left menu » Appearances » Editor » Page Template (template-home.php)

then change:

`$category = get_option(‘sf_portfolio_category’);`

to:

`$category = sf_get_category_id(get_option(‘sf_portfolio_category’));`

and change:

`$my_query = new WP_Query(‘showposts=’.$slide_count.’&category_name=’.$category);`

to:

`$my_query = new WP_Query(‘showposts=’.$slide_count.’&cat=’.$category);`

This will get the slider displaying correctly again.

I cannot download the theme.

Anyone can share with me please

I downloaded the Mirror Version because the regular site is still down but WordPress says the stylesheet is missing. Anyone know how to resolve this?

Newbie alert – will someone tell me what the ideal height/width should be for slider images on the home page?

Really nice work! Just wondering if it is possible you can make several portfolio pages? Like one who shows post from “web” category and the other page shows post from “print” category. Is it possible to send the name of the category into $category ? How would that be done?

Thank you!

how i put home-template.php to the index and the blog to a page?

I had to modify a page and put it to index but idk how. thx for help

You should update this to the v1.6 that was released recently.

Thank you so much. Great theme…

Yes sorry there seems to be a mistake, the theme does not come with a contact form. But it does come with the styles for you to add any contact form plugin.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

How do you upload it? It keeps fails mine.

Can you help me?

Thanks.

How do you upload it? It keeps fails mine.

Can you help me?

Thanks.

How do you upload it? Mine It keeps fails.

Can you help me?

Thanks.

thank you so much, not something I would have ever thought of!

THANK YOU SO MUCH – THIS WAS A LIFE SAVER!!!!!