Menu Search
Jump to the content X

New eBook From Smashing Magazine: Mastering Photoshop For Web Design

Mastering Photoshop for Web Design is the third book in our eBook series, and it’s definitely the best eBook we’ve published so far. It was written from scratch by our regular writer Thomas Giannattasio, exclusively for Smashing Magazine and its readers. We are very proud of the result, in particular because of the high quality of tips, ideas and techniques that Thomas — who is a deep expert in Adobe Photoshop — presents in his book.

Update (January 2013): The e-book is now available for $4.99 (€4.49)

Mastering Photoshop is written for advanced and intermediate designers who want to brush up on their workflow and improve their Photoshop skills. The eBook contains 178 pages, explaining fundamental techniques that Web designers need to know to produce high-quality work in Photoshop. You won’t find any generic step-by-step tutorials or learn random effects. You will gain a profound understanding of what you can do with Photoshop and how to use it effectively in your work.

All chapters have undergone a careful technical review by well-known designer, illustrator and speaker Elliot Jay Stocks2. The book was proofread by our regular proofreader Andrew Lobo, and it has an attractive layout. The PDF can be printed and read on all devices.

The Author Link

Thomas GiannattasioThomas Giannattasio is an interactive designer who resides in the Washington DC metro area. He specializes in Web design and front-end development, particularly art direction, website design and application design, and has 14 years of experience. Thomas cares strongly about typography, simplicity and user experience. He works as a senior designer for a global marketing firm and freelances under the name attasi.

Thomas’ articles on Smashing Magazine prove his expertise in Photoshop: The Ails of Typographic Anti-Aliasing3 and Unknown Photoshop Tricks and Time-Savers4 are two of the most useful Photoshop-related articles that Smashing Magazine has published over the years.

The Expert’s Opinion Link

Elliot Jay Stocks“Photoshop is a powerful tool, and although the basics can be easy to grasp, mastering the application can be extremely difficult. This is where Mastering Photoshop comes in: it takes readers through the app in depth and relates all tasks back to the creative process. There’s much to learn in here, for beginners and experts alike.”

— Elliot Jay Stocks, designer, illustrator and speaker

The eBook, in PDF, ePUB and Mobipocket format, is ideal for archiving, for armchair or mobile reading (including the iPad and iPhone via iBooks and other apps) and of course for printing. You can order your copy of Mastering Photoshop for just $19,905 (or €16.95 if you live in the EU) starting now and exclusively in our Smashing Shop.

Buy the book now!7

The book contains eight chapters:

1. Color Management
    Colors can appear lighter or darker, more or less saturated, cooler or warmer, or just plain wrong depending on the user’s environment. This can be quite a problem, especially with a client’s brand-specific colors. As Web designers, our responsibility is to ensure that the experiences we craft are as true to the original as possible.
  2. Paths
    While Illustrator’s vector tools are much more powerful, Photoshop’s benefit lies in its ability to blend vector and raster data together seamlessly. Because Photoshop documents are based on a pixel grid, the path tools in Photoshop make them superior to Illustrator for designing on-screen media.
  3. Layer Styles
    Layer Styles are essential to creating flexible and non-degradable documents, because they’re separated from the layer’s actual content. In this chapter, we’ll cover how to create great-looking and reusable styles. We’ll also cover some unique effects and non-typical uses that help to consolidate excess layers.
  4. Brushes
    Mastering the digital brush is by no means easy. It carries the same difficulties as the sable brush hidden at the bottom of your art bin. In fact, the difficulty is multiplied by the disconnect between the hand and monitor. Developing Photoshop brush skill takes time, but it is well worth the effort.
  5. Typography
    While the majority of type on the Web is rendered by HTML, Photoshop is still necessary to handle treatment beyond the grasp of CSS. In this chapter, we’ll explore Photoshop’s type tools and discover ways to maximize the software’s typesetting capabilities.
  6. Photography
    A photograph — especially of the human face — immediately draws the user’s attention and can be used to direct eye flow to important areas of the page. Placing a large photograph above the fold is a common way to provide an entry point to the content. Because photographs are high above other elements in the hierarchy, they need to be handled with care and precision.
  7. Exporting
    Once you’ve polished every last pixel, it’s time to get your work into the browser. This is a pretty straightforward process, but properly optimizing your images is crucial. You need to maintain a balance between clarity and download speed. This requires multiple formats, varying levels of compression and other optimization techniques. In this chapter, we’ll explore the workflow of exporting images via the “Save for Web and Devices” dialog.
  8. Summary

Sample Chapter and Screenshots Link

You can download the Chapter 4, Brushes8 (4.7 Mb, PDF) for free. Please consider buying the eBook if you find it useful or helpful.

Large view10

Large view12

Large view14

Motivation behind the book Link

In the foreword, Thomas describes his motivation:

“This book was written in the hope of filling a gap — a gap that has existed for as long as designers have been using Photoshop for Web design; a gap that we so often fill with tutorials focused on the latest trends and on inspiration galleries that are quickly browsed and forgotten; a gap that is growing as quickly as our technologies. It’s a gap of foundation.

The fast pace of the Internet has focused us on the latest and greatest techniques, which typically have a lifespan of only a few months. Rarely do we focus on the fundamentals — the principles that outlive the trends. Unfortunately, the principles often appeal to us less than the shiny and new.

Photoshop tutorials offer quick results. They hold our hands step by step until something incredible appears, but they rarely explain in depth the principles that allow us to create something unique and incredible of our own. If you’re a beginner, I hope this book gives you the comprehension you need to bring your ideas to life. If you’re a veteran, I hope it unveils some of the mysteries that have always boggled you.”

The book is not protected by DRM and is available exclusively in the Smashing Shop. Please respect our work and the hard effort of our writer. If you received this book from a source other than the Smashing Shop, please support us by purchasing your copy in our online store.

Thank you.

Footnotes Link

3. 3 ../2009/11/02/the-ails-of-typographic-anti-aliasing/
  4. 4 ../2010/01/20/obscure-adobe-photoshop-time-savers/

Vitaly Friedman loves beautiful content and doesn’t like to give in easily. Vitaly is writer, speaker, author and editor-in-chief of Smashing Magazine. He runs responsive Web design workshops, online workshops and loves solving complex UX, front-end and performance problems in large companies. Get in touch.

Shame there is no printed version… I tend to prefer printed books rather than PDFs… Anyway, looks great!

Yea, I MUCH prefer printed books. PDF books have almost zero interest to me. I read the Smashing Book while going to the bathroom over the course of 4 months, just a few pages at a time. That’s pretty much how I read, lol. Either that or on my nightstand. I work in digital all day long, somtimes I just like to relax and hold a book or magazine in my hands. I subscribe to Maximum PC and Popular Mechanics, not interested in their web sites howerver. Somthing to consider SM, some of us digital people like PRINT!

I was really hoping for some fabulous tricks on using PhotoShop for the web, this book is more of an instruction guide and overview of PhotoShop’s tools

You’d probably sell four or five times as many of these books if they were priced at a fiver, just saying. I can’t justify 17 Euros on an eBook until after payday. Shame.

Vitaly Friedman

July 27, 2010 4:59 am

I understand your scepticism. But the thing is that we’ve invested a lot of work into preparing this eBook, and Tom has done a tremendous job on writing it, so selling it for $5 just doesn’t sound right. I am sorry.

I assure you that the information in the book is well worth it.

I’m not saying that it’s not worth the money, I’m sure it is and I’m sure that Thomas has put a lot of effort in. You’d probably make more money by selling your eBooks at a more accessible price as more people would be inclined to take a gamble and buy them. Would you rather sell a few hundred books at 17 Euros, or a few thousand at 5?

Take David duChemin’s model as an example. He sells his eBooks by the bucket load. I’ve purchased a couple in the past without thinking twice about it and I’m always keeping my eyes open for his next release.

I agree, why should you go to all that effort and sell it for budget price … 19.90 is hardly expensive for the content it provides … keep up the good work!

I was just about to purchase the book until I noticed that it was only available as a downloadable e-book. I agree, it is for sure worth the price in a matter of content, but knowing that for almost the same price I got the printed Smashing Book and on amazon other Photoshop books are on average just a little bit more pricey (but include shipping) I can’t really see it getting justified. I love the touch of paper in my hands, printed content is a million times more valuable to me. besides that, reading on screen is straining my eyes and printing it is only making it more expensive and overall clumsy. I would have liked to pay a little more so I would have been able to hold it or at least to have it displayed on my bookshelf.

I agree. While I’m sure this book has great content. I’m not really interested in e-books. Perhaps if it were half the price ($9.99) for the e-book and $19.99 for a printed copy. I would even opt to buy the printed copy over a half price e-book as I much prefer to read off paper, it’s also far handier to toss a book in your bag. With this model I think you’ll cover a much larger audience which in turn will increase your ROI.

For God’s sake, get over yourself. You love the feel of paper? Do you want a sexual experience or do you want to learn something? The value is not determined by how it is packaged, but by the info it contains that will improve your skills or make you money. I am reading books like this on my iPad. Try it, it will change your life.

@Doug The medium is the message. The book does have GREAT content but that’s just part of it. Those of us that read this blog care about the experience too. There is something about a printed book that allows for a shared experience an ebook is unable to provide.

So yes, value is also in the packaging (however not totally inclusive). Content is the most important thing. Not true. If content is the most important thing then delivery cannot be. Both content and delivery play equal roles.

Russell Wayne Webster

July 29, 2010 1:17 pm

This is a bargain!!!!!

jason the designer

July 27, 2010 1:27 pm

SM: I bought the printed version of your last book and thought it rocked for the pricepoint.

I too am more inclined to read a book than a PDF (I am 38… showing my age? lol)

Maybe offer a Lulu link for peeps who want a printed copy?

Hey Doug not everybody has the same experience as you do… people are making valid comments about the book.. respect them don’t slam them!

Yeah, sell it lass expansive and you will sell more, and gain more money… Its a E-book, sell 100 copies or 1000000 cost the same to you..

Logic doesn’t seem to work here Fernando. The amount of lost sales in the comments alone compared to the amount of people who said they’ve bought the book should be an eye opener.

Jason the Designer

July 28, 2010 8:07 am

After seeing this thread I received an email from Rockable Press for their new e-Book for, yes, $39. I had received a $20 voucher in my email for being on their list, but for the rest of the world who isn’t… $39 for an ebook on blogging?

Makes this one look like a steal.

Vincent Pollard

July 29, 2010 7:29 am

i agree. it’s priced to high for a PDF. i’d buy it at $10 but $20 is too much.

Looks very interesting! Once I get a good way to read e-books I’ll have to consider this!

the price is so expensive for an ebook!

Vitaly Friedman

July 27, 2010 5:07 am

Sorry. But please read my comment above.

Vitaly, don’t apologise. I have no doubt it’s worth the price, and I’d also be happy to spare a few more dollars to fund such a good cause as SM and its authors.

i double the previous reply

I agree. I think of all the awesome articles on SM that have helped me over the past couple years and what I’ll get from this book and it’s an easy decision for me.

Sometimes you have to look past what the “market rate” for things are and pay for their value. I’m sure i’ll save a couple hours from the tips in the book and it will have paid for itself.

Thanks SM!

Definately considering ordering this one, just need to get a good e-reader first!

Are you planning on releasing a epub-version of the book as well? PDF is normally fine, but reading them in iBooks on my iPhone is a bit of a pain.

Then the ebook would be even more expensive… Not a good idea. Why don’t you ask Steve if he could make reading PDF in iBooks less painful… :) I would like that :)

That statement doesn’t make sense, since epub is basically a ZIP file with XHTML + CSS + XML packed together. (source:
        So no extra work is needed, since you can simply export your Word document to HTML :p

The only “extra” cost will be the DRM, which by the way isn’t available in PDF.

The ebook is now available in PDF, ePUB and Mobipocket format.

Awesome book, will there be a printed version of the book?
    Some of us prefer reading an actual book.

I wish you guys will issue new printed books again, however goodluck for the e-book :)

Guys you should definitely start selling those books in printer version! Otherwise keep on good work ;)

I feel the price is fair, for the information involved would be very relevant and perhaps be able to make someone’s career if they are just starting out. I’ll pick it up this afternoon when I get back from work, I need a refresher in photoshop anyway and it’s a heck of alot cheaper than a lynda subscription.

I have bought 2 ebooks and the smashing book now and every one has been an awesome read. But this is becomming a very expensive hobby. The price for this ebook Vitally is so expensive! Surely it’s better to sell 10,000 copies at $5 than it is to sell 1000 copies at $19?

thomas giannattasio

July 27, 2010 5:14 am

$19 may seem like a lot at first, but I assure you the information within is well worth it. Try finding a Photoshop book from your local book dealer for that price. They’re typically around $50 a pop! I hope you’ll reconsider :)

I’m not saying the content isn’t worth every penny asked for it. But 1st off, the price is more expensive from a book store cause it is something tangible, most of that price includes the printing and manufacturing costs. Also – though I completely agree the content is of a different callibre, but all books in the iBook store are much much cheaper than this ebook is. As soon as I buy a eBook online, I sync it to my iPad, it’s the main reason I buy the eBook, but $19, though I’m sure great content, is so so high! Big name books, magazines, limited edition 1 off’s (8 faces) come up cheaper than this does. And again, though the content is completely different, it is still just as valuable.

Have to agree with above. Looks like a great book but a little too expensive for me.

Helio S. Junior

July 27, 2010 5:24 am

Looks like a must have book. Another one to my personal library.

I can’t imagine designing web in Photoshop. Interesting, but fireworks is so much easier!

I couldn’t imagine writing a comment about a Photoshop article if I am preferring to use Fireworks. That would be so random. I would probably write comments on Fireworks related articles. That would be so much easier (for everyone).

And what I wanted to ask: who cares?

Why can’t a Fireworks user comment on this? I use FW exclusively for my web design work, and was just curious to see what was in the book. After seeing a summary of what’s in it, I have no reason to buy it. Plus it’s way too expensive.

And what I want to ask: Have you actually ever even TRIED Fireworks!?

Looking forward for the print version.

Nice book as i read s a short description about it, may be buy it and give it a feedback ;)
    thanks SM team you are great

I agree there is a lot of effort and time needed to create an eBook. But guys … seriously … all that information is available for free, not to mention that, Adobe manuals are completely free, and Photoshop has one of the best written manuals I have ever seen.

I like your work on general. Nice tryouts you are making with this eBooks, just price them according the containing information and its quality, not at what you would like to be paid for a job, that is already done by the community.

Good luck selling it to the newbies thou.

This is great news.
    However, is there any way to get it as a printed version?
    How much more would it cost?

I’m normally not the person who buys (e)books quickly, but this looks very interesting (especially after reading the excerpt). Looking forward to buying it!

20 Dollar (around 16 Euros for me) isn’t much comparing the price with the prices at (even though their books are around 500 pages thick each)!

~ M

Sitepoint books are good but also ridiculously expensive. I would never buy one at their prices… I can’t be the only one, either. I think if smashing dropped their prices, even to say $9.99, they would blow Sitepoint out of the water with any competing books.

Photoshop is not exactly superior for anything web. Illustrator does let you use a pixel grid now, and frankly Fireworks is light years ahead of Photoshop for building out sites. Not trying to stir anything up, but just seems like bad advice from the description alone.

good point ..

I agree wholeheartedly and also with Caleb above. Seems like the subject of study for such a topic should be the tool best suited and designed for web design, Adobe Fireworks.

I’d like to see some examples of sites that the people commenting have built with fireworks! I’ve always found ps far more powerful but am always open to change. Sadly, most of the sites I’ve seen done with Fw didn’t look so hot as a final product.

@matt. I had a look at the sites Floor Vahn provided. Sure, they all work but the graphics are a little underdeveloped.
          Compare to:
          That was designed in PS. I think there’s just more depth to those images. But as most astute commentors are noting: designers use tools, and it’s a case of how good the designer is and how well – and quickly – a designer can use a particular tool.

@Brett. There’s nothing in those images that I couldn’t do in Fireworks. I would say that your website is a little underdeveloped. (template?)

Not sure why you had to use Photoshop for that really. Not sure why you’re comparing your site to the ones I mentioned. Sort of apples and pears, no?

I can only repeat myself. Who cares? This article is obviously not for you, as you like to use Fireworks. This article is for people who like to use Photoshop for web design. Its their preference, and there are many many people who think like this. Hence, there is a book (or say hundreds) on it. With regards to the Fireworks discussion on “Photoshop for Web” related articles, I can only advise you to go to the best timber merchant near you and buy some wood. Then you build a bridge. And then you get over it.

I was interested in reading this book to see WHY people would use Photoshop. I might just get it. I can be convinced to change my mind. But honestly, I design TEN times faster than someone using PS. Fireworks is made EXCLUSIVELY for the Web. Photoshop is for….well… Really. But you CAN use it for web design. If you like to punish yourself….

I think you mean to say YOU can design 10 times faster in fireworks than YOU can in photoshop. Fireworks is faster for you and that works for you so that’s great. Other people who have been using PS for years will be plenty fast enough. And if you really measure quality by how fast you get something done than maybe you should buy this book and learn something :)
            My opinion on the whole PS vs FW is: If you are a web designer and ONLY a web designer, learn to use fireworks. If you are like a majority of designers out there and do everything from web to print, you should to use (and probobly already have) photoshop, illustrator and indesign. Either way you look at it, Adobe is laughing all the way to the bank.

Although I prefer a printed book, I consider buying this one. It’s not a bad idea to give my Photoshop skills a boost.

I bought it…I have certainly blown $20 bucks on stuff not nearly as informative as this book! I have read Tom’s articles here and know I will get my money’s worth and then some.

20 dollars is nothing for almost 200 pages. Just not having to drive to a bookstore knocks 5 off it for starters and I get it immediately. Its FAR less than a book and sure you can search the web (I do all the time) but its nice to have a professional overview; I see this as a no different to a seminar. Many of the design magazines that are packed with ads don’t cost much less; I look forward to buying this and supporting more such ebooks.. Any actual reviews anyone?

I have Smashing Book and i can tell for sure – one of MUST HAVE books.
    And i believe that this one worth to buy it too.

But, maybe dear SM team can make some special discount for RU / BY / UA readers who want to by this full of needed knowledge book, because $20 for casual Ukrainian / Russian designer is not the same as for UK or US.

Thank you SM team for you job. You are doing great job.

Looks like a great book. $20 is nothing for an in depth book which will help you gain the necessary skills to master this program for designing for the web. Plus, the money is going to my favorite spot on the web SM..$20 for a great book and the money goes to complaints here!

Vitaly Friedman

July 27, 2010 6:25 am

Please submit reviews of the book, too! Do you like it? Did you find it useful? Is the price worth it? Please let us know what you think!

Sorry but like the last ebook I won’t be purchasing. I can’t read ebooks, too hard on the eyes and a bit too expensive. If you released this or the previous ebook as a hard copy I’d definitely purchase.

Another ebook book to my collection! Thanks SmashingMagazine…. its totally worth it!

There are already a bunch of books available on Amazon on this subject – actual books for around the same price by industry experts. An eBook should be something fresh and new. No reason to get this, really. I’d rather visit my local Barnes & Noble and review the books on this subject before I purchase.

Jamal Nichols dot com

July 27, 2010 7:49 am

Agree with Dan. I’d rather watch some video tutorials or check out BN or Amazon. You guys really need money huh.

I’ve bought two printed eBooks from Smashing (The Smashing Book and Smashing WordPress), they were both amazing. Their “Professional Web Design” eBook was very interesting and it was worth the buy too. But this one, “Mastering Photoshop for Web Design”, I’m not sure about it. The sample just says to me that this eBook is an excerpt from the Adobe Photoshop manual, that’s all. No tips, no tricks, no interesting techniques… I’m really not sure to buy this one, in any case not at this price, sorry!

Helge-Kristoffer Wang

July 27, 2010 8:12 am

I will buy this book, but not yet. Got to wait for my clients to handle my paycheck. I will also write a review of this book after I’ve read it. Looking forward to it!

Won’t be a problem to print it if im getting tired of reading the screen tho’.

If you could spend $18 for a tee why can’t you pay few more $$ for a book!!! lol…
    keep up the good work SM! cheers…

I must admit I’m struggling to decide whether to buy this or not. It looks great, but I really hate reading PDF books. Any chance there’ll be a printed version at any point? Wouldn’t hesitate on that, even if it was quite a bit more expensive.

Truly, $20 isn’t much for a book of this nature, but as my eyes have trouble reading long lengths of text on a computer screen, it is tough for me to designate a purchase of this nature.

Please print it and I will buy it, thank you.

$20 for an eBook!? Let me be clear, I love your resources, however to spend 20 beans on an eBook is ridiculous. Like previous comments, these resources can be found all over the net. Now if it was printed, it becomes a different scenario and I would have purchased it.

Any rate good luck with the sale

Photoshop for Web Design? Really??

Fireworks for web design is more like it……
    Fireworks accelerates web design and development and is the ideal tool for creating and optimizing images for the web and for rapidly prototyping websites.

Why do you feel the need to comment? This article has nothing to do with Fireworks, and there is really no need to comment about it. Everyone uses the tools they like and this article is for people who – unlike you – would like to use Photoshop for their web design needs. God, sometimes I would really like to figure out what people are thinking when they post such remotely related comments.

And it seems like you have to comment on everyone’s opinion all the time.

This is awesome, but Do you have the Sony Reader version?

I bought last week “Rework” – Jason Fried book on amazon – 288 pages – top notch content – “”hardcover””- for 12 $ .And you are asking that we pay 20 $ for ebook ….Funny…

this sounds very interesting! But: I am working with Gimp so this ebook isnt really useful. Is there an eventuality that you publish a ebook / book like this but for gimp in near future?

print in French, spanish english and chinese and will all buy at any price.

Good works

I think it would be worthwhile for smashing to invest in good publication model. I am not someone who reads comic books but just a little while ago I picked up the iphone app for comics and they somehow sucked me in to paying .99 cents a chapter on this bayou story, something to consider.

178 pages of information from a trusted source like SM seems like a good deal for $19.90. Do not lower the price or apologize to those who tell you your work and your research is not worth the cost.

For those who want a printed copy take the pdf to any copy shop and get them to do a double-side print and crisp white paper. Only set you back a few more bucks and you will still be way ahead of most books on the shelf.

I’m just learning Photoshop for web — was wondering if the book covers anything technical as far as web design goes, like the standard size canvas to work in and organizing layers for coding? Thank you!

thomas giannattasio

July 27, 2010 10:03 am

Hi Aaron,
      That’s a great question. This book actually concerns itself more with the application and its tools. It focuses on how to utilize those tools for web design. It does not cover best practices of design, but it DOES cover best practices for the outlined tools. If you have further questions (canvas size, organization, etc.), please feel free to contact me at or on twitter at @attasi. Thanks!

Sound good, but I’m a GIMP user.

As far as folks asking for a printed copy, could something like “” work… just a thought.

Price is ok i guess for quality ebook. If it’s from SM then it’s good in my opinion. I got paper book from SM and i like it. But i will not buy this one because i’m not interested in topic:) It’s not 5$ ebook “How to become rich in 7days” where some teenager want make money from people by selling his poor quality texts.

$20 is a bit much for an ebook. My company sells it’s printed paperback 6×9 books for $15, and the content is just as important for it’s readers. Hopefully Tom gets the majority of the proceeds. His articles are always great! I’m not going to buy the ebook, but I would quickly purchase a printed version for $15-20.

Damage that is not even in print, nice work