Every now and then we look around, select fresh high-quality free fonts and present them to you in a brief overview. The choice is enormous, so the time you need to find them is usually time you should be investing in your current projects. We search for them and find them so that you don’t have to.
In this selection, we’re pleased to present Piron, Nobile, St Marie, Code, Arcus, Crimson Text, Quadranta, Juice, Prociono, Mr Jones, Ibarra Real and various useful symbol fonts. Please note that some fonts are for personal use only and are clearly marked as such. Please read the license agreements carefully before using the fonts; they can change from time to time.
New Free High-Quality Fonts
Piron is a highly legible typeface, very well suited to any display or text usage: Web, print (especially magazines), brochures, logos, posters, flyers, motion graphics. The font comes in two weights: regular and oblique. Designed by Alexander Nedelev and Veronika Slavova. Available for free and commercial use, and available in OpenType format.
St Ryde Regular6 (Registration required, PDF Specimen7)
St Ryde is a sans-serif, very casual typeface, that works perfect in your bodycopy within the regular weights. The whole family comes in 5 weights including the matching italics, so you can choose from thin, light, regular, medium and bold. Regular is available for free download. St Ryde has a wide range of characters, including small caps, lining, proportional and tabular figures plus small caps figures, too. Designed by Sascha Timplan. Available in OpenType format.
The font is designed to work on digital screens and handheld devices without losing the distinctive look usually found in fonts designed for print. The aim here was to design a font that would function well, have good legibility on screen yet also look good — not only at larger display sizes but also right down to small text sizes. The font is available in the Google Font Directory11 and was released under the Open Font License. The family comes in four weights (regular, italic, bold and bold italic).
Mr Jones Book and Mr Jones Book Italic13 (Registration required)
Mr Jones was originally conceived as a family for print design, consisting of a sans and a headline. The lowercase forms are wide for legibility at small sizes, while the caps are narrower to save space and keep an even balance of negative space when used in body copy. The overall widths of certain characters have been adjusted to almost extremes to keep an even balance of white space around each letter. The font works well in body copy but will need decreased tracking in larger settings. It comes with proportional, old-style and tabular figures and discretionary ligatures.
Pigiarniq Inuktitut15 (Download link16)
An oldie but a goodie. Heard of Nunavut? A small territory in Canada with one of the lowest population rates of the world? Probably not. Only 0.01 people live there per square kilometer, mostly Inuit. The citizens of Nunavut speak four languages: French, English, Innuinaqtun and Inuktitut. A few years ago, the government of the region decided to design a new typeface to enable its 28,000 citizens to use all four languages in a uniform manner. The result was a beautiful, rich and professional free sans-serif. The family includes bold, heavy, italic, light and regular weights, all available for free use.
St Marie is a rich type family designed for online applications and print. This release is a preview of the upcoming family, and the designer has released two weights (St Marie Thin and St Marie Thin Web) for free. The download package contains the weights in the formats OTF, WOFF, EOT and SVG, as well as a @font-face kit. See this example of St Marie Thin Web19 (HTML-page).
Code: Free Font21
This sturdy yet playful little font family can be applied to different kinds of graphic design work: Web, print, motion graphics, t-shirts, posters, logotypes. The font contains 192 characters and two weights (regular and bold) and is available in OTF for PC or Mac.
A quite distinctive, memorable font with two variations: lowercase letters bend to the left and uppercase letters bend to the right. This unique font will give your headlines originality and dynamism. Designed by Svetoslav Simov of Fontfabric, available in OTF.
Arcus and Arcus Italic29 (Registration required)
Arcus is a geometrically constructed font with rounded curves. The font contains a wide range of alternative signs, small capitals, lining and old-style numerals, fractions, superiors, inferiors, ligatures and discretionary ligatures; all this is within the frame of OpenType functions. The type family was designed for headlines, logotypes and corporate identities, and it is not a good fit for long text. Available for free and commercial use.
Open that old tome from the bookshelf over the fireplace, stick your nose in its pages and smell the ink, the glue and the immortality of the printed words. That is what Crimson Text is meant to be like. The font is released under the Open Font License32. Notice: Crimson Text is under heavy development, and the spacing/kerning is abysmal.
Acid34 (Free for personal use only)
Acid was designed by Stephan Baum specifically to be used in logotypes and body copy. The form of glyphs is similar to the design classic B42 by Marcel Breuer (Bauhaus) and has a very geometric character. The font contains 103 glyphs, comes in six weights (regular, regular italic, medium, medium italic, bold and bold italic) and is in the process of being developed. Released under Creative Commons.
According to its creator, this design was started with quadrant arcs. Quadranta is a display font that would fit logo designs and playful headlines. Available for personal and commercial use. Designed by Darim Kim.
Yet another distinctive, playful font with rounded glyphs. This would be great fit for brochures, magazine and t-shirts. Designed by Thiago Calza. Freely available for personal and commercial work. Available are two weights in TrueType.
Juice is a modern, dynamic sans-serif type family. The font contains six weights (light, light italic, regular, italic, bold and bold italic), each containing 161 glyphs. The font is available in TrueType format. Designed by Dhany Arliyanti.
Geomancy Typeface46 (Free for personal use only)
Geomancy is a chunky, retro geometric font that hearkens to French and American art deco. With some letterforms taken directly from posters and ephemera of the period, the all-uppercase set comes with many alternates and ligatures, so you can give a little of that varied, hand-painted feel to your work. Available in two weights: hairline and extra bold.
Prociono is an Esperanto word meaning either the star Procyon or the animal species known as the raccoon. It is a roman typeface with blackletter elements. The release includes both OTF and TTF. Source files are available50 as well.
Edelsans52 (Free for personal use only)
Edelsans was designed as a noble geometric font for the screen, with few corners and mostly rounded glyphs. The typeface is not completely finished but is free for non-commercial use.
Neu Eichmass (German for New Etalon) is a typeface based on the weight 100 grams. The name is a reference to International Prototype kilogram, as a base unit of mass in the International System of Units. The typeface has a modern, cold, measured feel to it, reflecting its origin (its metal “parents”). It is a sans-serif font and takes inspiration from famous grotesques and stenciled types associated with marketplaces and street traders. Further inspiration comes from 1920s and ’30s constructivism. The font can be easily stenciled and is appropriate for different uses (street art, retail, independent shops, street markets). It comes in a headline font and a medium point body text suitable for print. Designed by Ivan Khmelevsky57.
Ibarra Real is a public domain font of Ibero-American character. Created in 2005, Ibarra Real is an elegant design, mixing tradition and modernity; a genuine badge of the particular Spanish culture that was created by Joaquín Ibarra in 1780. Available for Windows, Mac and Linux.
Glyphyx72 (Registration required)
This set of two free fonts features symbols and icons for use in data visualization. Glyphyx One includes symbols related to transportation, while Glyphyx Two has symbols related to leisure activities. Available in OpenType and TrueType formats for Windows and Mac.
Free Symbol Signs Collection74
Here is a collection of 50 common symbols for signage, professional designed. The symbols are free for use and are available in OpenType format. All were designed by Sander Baumann, set to the proportions of a regular typeface, so you no longer need to copy and paste such icons into your designs.
Rally Character Set76 (Specimen77 | Preview78 | Download79)
Lukyan Turetsky released this character set of car rally symbols. The font contains standard signs of control in rallies, rally-related infographic icons, blanks for logos and other graphics, symbols for legends and other symbols and marks. In OpenType and available for free.
Oblik Serif Bold81 (Registration required)
Oblik Serif Bold is a sophisticated contemporary font with vivid and playful glyphs. The font could be a great fit for headlines and posters but is hardly usable for long body text. The font has wide character support and is available for free and commercial use. Comes in OpenType format.
Paranoid is a yet another experimental font, collaboratively designed by Simon Carrasco, John Stuart and Kevin Yeun Kit Lo. Paranoid is a purely geometric display face, conceived as a contribution to (and subtle critique of) the still growing trend of bold, geometric and counterless typography. It is equally suited to bringing back the joy of ’80s dance parties or expressing the ominous foreboding of inevitable nuclear disaster. A flexible face in spite of its limited form. Please contact the designers before using this font commercially.
This free font is bold and experimental. It would come handy for bold statements on t-shirts and posters. The font was designed by Fabian De Lange and is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike license86.
Typedia is a community website dedicated to classifying typefaces and educating people about typefaces. Think of it as a cross between IMDB and Wikipedia, except for type. Anyone can join, add or edit pages for typefaces and the people behind them.
You may be interested in the following related posts:
- 20 Fresh High-Quality Free Fonts92
- 25 New High-Quality Free Fonts93
- 15 Beautiful High-Quality Free Fonts94
- 40 Excellent Free Fonts for Professional Design95
- You can find over 80 more free fonts in our Fonts96 section.
- 1 http://www.typedepot.com/fonts/Piron
- 2 http://www.typedepot.com/fonts/Piron
- 3 http://www.typedepot.com/fonts/Piron
- 4 http://www.typedepot.com/fonts/Piron
- 5 http://www.typedepot.com/fonts/Piron
- 6 http://new.myfonts.com/fonts/stereotypes/st-ryde/
- 7 http://blog.stereotypes.de/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/specimen_st_ryde.pdf
- 8 http://new.myfonts.com/fonts/stereotypes/st-ryde/
- 9 http://new.myfonts.com/fonts/stereotypes/st-ryde/
- 10 http://www.newtypography.co.uk/
- 11 http://code.google.com/webfonts
- 12 http://www.newtypography.co.uk/
- 13 http://new.myfonts.com/fonts/millertype/mr-jones/
- 14 http://new.myfonts.com/fonts/millertype/mr-jones/
- 15 http://www.gov.nu.ca/english/font/
- 16 http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2010/08/12/30-new-free-high-quality-fonts-typography/
- 17 http://www.gov.nu.ca/english/font/
- 18 http://www.behance.net/gallery/St-Marie/551975
- 19 http://files.stereotypes.de/StMarie-Thin-Webfont
- 20 http://www.behance.net/gallery/St-Marie/551975
- 21 http://fontfabric.com/code-free-font-3/
- 22 http://fontfabric.com/code-free-font-3/
- 23 http://www.behance.net/gallery/VAL-Stencil/516954
- 24 http://www.behance.net/gallery/VAL-Stencil/516954
- 25 http://www.behance.net/gallery/VAL-Stencil/516954
- 26 http://www.behance.net/gallery/VAL-Stencil/516954
- 27 http://www.fonts2u.com/akadora.font
- 28 http://www.fonts2u.com/akadora.font
- 29 http://new.myfonts.com/fonts/carnoky/arcus/
- 30 http://new.myfonts.com/fonts/carnoky/arcus/
- 31 http://aldusleaf.org/
- 32 http://scripts.sil.org/OFL
- 33 http://aldusleaf.org/
- 34 http://26plus-zeichen.de/fonts/acid-type/
- 35 http://26plus-zeichen.de/fonts/acid-type/
- 36 http://26plus-zeichen.de/fonts/real-origami/
- 37 http://26plus-zeichen.de/wp-content/uploads/realorigami_zeichensatz.pdf
- 38 http://26plus-zeichen.de/fonts/real-origami/
- 39 http://26plus-zeichen.de/fonts/real-origami/
- 40 http://www.aboutletters.com/2010/03/the-tally-of-the-font-quadranta/
- 41 http://www.aboutletters.com/2010/01/quadranta/
- 42 http://www.behance.net/gallery/Balonez-Fantasia/256021
- 43 http://www.behance.net/gallery/Balonez-Fantasia/256021
- 44 http://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/Juice
- 45 http://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/Juice
- 46 http://www.onebyfourstudio.com/blog/geomancy/
- 47 http://www.onebyfourstudio.com/blog/geomancy/
- 48 http://www.onebyfourstudio.com/blog/geomancy/
- 49 http://www.theleagueofmoveabletype.com/fonts/13-prociono
- 50 http://code.google.com/p/sortsmill/downloads/list?q=label:Prociono
- 51 http://www.theleagueofmoveabletype.com/fonts/13-prociono
- 52 http://26plus-zeichen.de/fonts/edelsans/
- 53 http://26plus-zeichen.de/fonts/edelsans/
- 54 http://26plus-zeichen.de/fonts/edelsans/
- 55 http://26plus-zeichen.de/fonts/edelsans/
- 56 http://freetypography.com/2010/04/19/free-font-neu-eichmass/
- 57 http://www.ivankhmelevsky.com
- 58 http://freetypography.com/2010/04/19/free-font-neu-eichmass/
- 59 http://www.dafont.com/ingleby.font
- 60 http://www.dafont.com/ingleby.font
- 61 http://osl.ugr.es/2009/12/02/ibarra-real-fuente-de-letra-genuinamente-espanola/
- 62 http://osl.ugr.es/2009/12/02/ibarra-real-fuente-de-letra-genuinamente-espanola/
- 63 http://www.otlab.ru/8-font_notice.html
- 64 http://www.otlab.ru/opentype_fonts/font_notice.zip
- 65 http://www.otlab.ru/8-font_notice.html
- 66 http://www.otlab.ru/9-font_notice2.html
- 67 http://www.otlab.ru/opentype_fonts/font_notice2.zip
- 68 http://www.otlab.ru/9-font_notice2.html
- 69 http://otlab.ru/10-font_notice3.html
- 70 http://otlab.ru/opentype_fonts/font_notice3.zip
- 71 http://otlab.ru/10-font_notice3.html
- 72 http://new.myfonts.com/fonts/nicksfonts/glyphyx-nf/
- 73 http://new.myfonts.com/fonts/nicksfonts/glyphyx-nf/
- 74 http://www.designworkplan.com/design/symbol-signs.htm
- 75 http://www.designworkplan.com/design/symbol-signs.htm
- 76 http://www.typophile.com/node/51060
- 77 http://www.2d.lviv.ua/download/Rally-symbols/Rally_Symbols.pdf
- 78 http://www.typophile.com/node/51060
- 79 http://www.2d.lviv.ua/download/Rally-symbols/Rally_Symbols.otf
- 80 http://www.typophile.com/node/51060
- 81 http://www.fontspring.com/fonts/tour-de-force/oblik-serif
- 82 http://www.fontspring.com/fonts/tour-de-force/oblik-serif
- 83 http://www.behance.net/gallery/Paranoid--a-free-font-project/218721
- 84 http://www.behance.net/gallery/Paranoid--a-free-font-project/218721
- 85 http://www.behance.net/gallery/01_BASE/583294
- 86 http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/
- 87 http://www.behance.net/gallery/01_BASE/583294
- 88 http://www.behance.net/gallery/01_BASE/583294
- 89 http://www.behance.net/gallery/01_BASE/583294
- 90 http://typedia.com/
- 91 http://typedia.com/
- 92 http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2010/05/11/20-fresh-high-quality-free-fonts/
- 93 http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2010/01/18/25-new-high-quality-free-fonts/
- 94 http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/11/24/15-beautiful-high-quality-free-fonts/
- 95 http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2007/11/08/40-excellent-freefonts-for-professional-design/
- 96 http://www.smashingmagazine.com/category/fonts/