Smashing Book 2 Is Coming: Add Your Name To The Book!

Update:(30.01.2011) The Smashing Book 2, with 2.970 names of our readers, is now available in the Smashing Shop1.

Update: (30.01.2011) If you are planning to write an article or review of Smashing Book 2, please feel free to use the Smashing Book 2 Media Kit2 (.zip, 7 Mb). The kit contains images, illustrations and photos that you might find useful for your article. Also, please don’t forget to tweet the link to the review with the hashtag #smbook2, so we can track it and add it to our list of reviews. Your help is sincerely appreciated. Thank you for your time and your efforts, guys!

We’ve got some exciting news: the printed Smashing Book 2 is coming. We will launch pre-orders in January 2011 and will start shipping the book in February 2011. We are just putting the final touches on the brand new book, and we are confident that it will be a valuable, timeless and affordable book for you, our dear readers, and all designers and developers worldwide.

After much difficulty with the first book, we have learned our lessons: Smashing Book 2 will have a much better stitched binding, a hardcover, more pages and a bit larger in size.

Book cover3

Our Readers Deserve Credit

It’s not unusual for authors to dedicate their books to people they care about: loved ones, family or perhaps friends or colleagues. In our case, we would like to dedicate this new book to all of our readers: you. But we don’t want to just do it with a short acknowledgment in the preface. Anyone could do that! We have a slightly better idea.

We would like to print the names of our readers in the book. To do this, we have reserved a double-page on which we will print together all of the names of readers who comment on this article in the shape of the Smashing Magazine logo: ASCII art at its best! If necessary, we will add two more double-pages so that everyone fits.

Leave a Comment and Add Your Name to the Book!

It’s simple: just write a short comment on this post and tell us why you read Smashing Magazine and how we can improve it. You may use your full name or an alias; the length allowed is between 4 and 35 characters. Your name may consist of at most four parts (for example, Patrick Michael Philips or John F. Doe or Alberto de la Cruz). Special characters are allowed. Please note that we will moderate the names, and spammy submissions will not be accepted.

What’s So Different About the New Book?

The Smashing Book 2 will be published in February 2011 and can be pre-ordered at a big discount in January. It will cost $39.90 and will contain 360 pages. It is a real hardbound book (+ free eBook), with sewn binding, a bookmark and four-color printing. Just as we did last time, we will pack it well, too.

Delivery times and shipping are different this time. All orders will be shipped via air mail. The shipping cost will be low and will be the same for every customer, no matter where they are located.

As with our first printed book4, The Smashing Book 2 is a collaboration of talented and knowledgeable folks, among them Mike Rundle, Christian Heilmann, Francisco Inchauste, Vivien Anayian, Susan Weinschenk, Alexander Charchar, Matt Ward and others. The book will feature exclusive full-page illustrations for each chapter. Here we’ve got something special for you as well, but more on that next time.

Screenshot

Rules and Guidelines

• How to participate?
    Just write a short comment on this post and tell us why you read Smashing Magazine and how we can improve it.
  • How many names can fit onto the two pages?
    Of course, it depends on the length of the names. We expect around 6,000 readers will be able to fit onto the two pages.
  • How much time do I have to join in?
    The deadline is 26th of November 2010, 11:59 PM CET. We do want to make it to the printer on time after all.
  • Can anyone take part?
    Yes, but you’d better hurry: first come, first served.
  • Are there any restrictions on the names?
    The length of the person’s name (both first and last) must be between 4 and 35 characters. It may contain at most three empty characters. Please note that we will moderate the names, and spammy submissions will not be accepted.

Extra Goodie: Exclusive SM Book 2 Poster!

To make participation even more enticing, we are giving away 50 exclusive Smashing Book 2 posters to participants. The winners will be picked randomly from among all users who comment on this post.

We are working very hard to make the Smashing Book 2 an extremely valuable and useful resource for all designers and developers. We hope to meet your expectations with the new book. Please stay tuned for updates. And don’t forget to leave the comment.

Footnotes

1. 1 https://shop.smashingmagazine.com/smashing-book-2.html
  2. 2 http://www.smashingmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/media-kit/SM-Book2-media-kit.zip
  3. 3 https://shop.smashingmagazine.com/smashing-book-2.html
  4. 4 https://shop.smashingmagazine.com/smashing-book.html

The Smashing team loves high-quality content and cares about the little details. Through our online articles, Smashing Books, eBooks as well as Smashing Conferences, we are committed to stimulating creativity and strengthening the web design community’s creative forces.

Advertising

Rigil Kent Ariola

November 23, 2010 2:15 am

Smashing Magazine is pure awesomeness. I wasn’t able to get the Smashing Book 1, this time I will definitely pre-order Smashing Book 2! Smashing magazine ftw! It brings the entire creative community together and spread the creative love.

Smashing Magazine is my daily #1 source of inspiration. Awesome articles, great authors. Love it!

What more than a comprehensive site with the web’s best articles about design. Smashing Magazine has been serving as a single place for all kinds of information for beginners and experts alike.

Not only Smashing’s own articles but the Network Posts are also of a great help.

Thanks and keep up the good work. Looking forward to some great posts from SM.

I always check Smashing magazine for the latest do’s en don’ts.

Gernot Rottermanner

November 23, 2010 2:16 am

I really enjoy reading the smashing-articles. It’s a great daily resource. I also read the first smashing book and I can’t wait for the second one! Stay tuned! ;)

Smashing magazine was a eye-opener for me. I really woke up when i started reading your articles on daily basis. It gives a very close updates of the graphics as well as web industry. Today it is a place where i can just spend my whole day!

I really appreciate your hard work and wish to continue.

Jasmine Fong Yee Chye

November 23, 2010 2:17 am

I’ve been doing web development for a few years now, but never got the chance to dabble into the designing part. I would always ask a few designer friends about how to design things and surprisingly, many of them would be able to tell me programming stuff that I wouldn’t even have heard of. I found out from them that they had been reading smashing magazine, and they recommended me to visit this website.

What I really like is that design and even programming news, as long as it is related to web development, are always posted here and easily explains what every designer/developer wants to learn. Links to other related articles are also posted here and it just makes web developing more fun and exciting.

Although I still haven’t had the chance to design anything yet, I would definitely come here to check out some related articles to get myself started.

I like SM a lot, because you bring high value content to your readers.
    I would like to read more article about development – back-end as well.

Smashing Magazine has usually great articles, I love the variation between the posts. The simpler ones and especially the more in-depth ones.

I have the first book and might buy the second one as well.

Alexander Zigelski

November 23, 2010 2:18 am

I read SM because it delivers quality content all the time. It inspired me to put the same dedication into my own blog. You could give your posts a bit more personality, because SM is after all a blog.

Smashing Magazine always has the best tutorials and resources for web developers.
    I look forward to reading the new book, Keep up the good work!

I read Smashing Magazine because it covers a lot of interesting and new techniques =)!

Dhimas Ronggobramantyo

November 23, 2010 2:19 am

I really like SM because you have very unique article with high quality content. More freebies like icon, graphic, etc would be great. I enjoyed reading your first book, the smashing wordpress and smashing css. And I cant wait to read Smashing Book 2 :D

14. 1964

Clement Jihad Kanj

November 23, 2010 2:19 am

Hey,
    keep up the good work guys.
    I had my master degree in graphic design 2 years ago and i was worried about how can i stay updated on the improvement of designs and what is the way to keep on studying.
    When i found smashing magazine, i was pleased; i read it because it is an online school. Articles about design and improvement, about how to deal with clients.
    Monthly calendars are cool. And all the tutorials are really good and helpful.
    I am looking forward having your 2# book.
    10x :)

Because its smashing. simple.

Doesn’t tell me what to do, just tells me what I could do.

Smashing Magazine is THE go-to resource for the contemporary web design professional.

Why do I continue to read Smashing Mag? Because just when I think that there’s nothing more I can do to improve my work, low and behold and new article appears which makes want to start from square one again. Smashing Magazine challenges my current methods of development by pushing me to use better methods–fueling my development growth.

For some of us Smashing Magazine is what to others is oxygen!

I read Smashing Magazine because it’s the best E-zine out there! It has everything from Design inspiration to Design Psychology and Technology, current and future. SM and partners provide a complete resource. Every ‘web-professional’ should follow Smashing Magazine. Reading at least 1 article a day should be mandatory!

Cameron Manderson

November 23, 2010 2:22 am

If it is worthwhile it is on Smashing mag, wish this was a direct feed into my brain. Too much to absorb ;-) Cheers @cammanderson

The main reason I read Smashing is because as a start up designer it is quite possibly the most concise and helpful source in the field. It has articles from the fundamental to the complex and specific and there’s no end to great feedback and comments on each article.

I read and follow you on Twitter and Facebook simply becouse Smashing is the best blog about web design and development.

Keep the good work, and please try to speak a bit more about other CMS and not only WordPress!

Great Stuff! I’m happy the series continues :)

I read Smashing Magazine because it’s a brilliant source of inspiration and to keep my design knowledge up to date.
    Keep it up!

Awesome initiative – would love to be a part of history

Smashing Magazine has ever been a great blog for bringing quality contents to its readers. Having a hard copy of those post as handy as a smashing book is pretty much a great resource for us. It would be great if there are different categories to focus per chapter. Both in web-development, designing as well as the business world.

Great job as always! SM! :D

Smashing Magazine has been a reference for me since it first came out and still amazes me with the quality of each and every content.
    I am a fan, I have the book and every time someone says “I need inspiration” I always recommend a visit to smashing magazine.

On my personal humble opinion, this website has came a long way since day one and I believe it will go even further in the future.

Smashing Magazine… This is were I experienced my ability to read and learn the web. Let it be tricks in HTML, CSS, javascript and for the inspiration, you are my first choice. Thank you for everything and keep up the good work.

Smashing Magazine brings a lot of extremely useful content into one place for me. I have learn so much from this site and its contributors and continue to do so.

Cheers

Smashing Magazine delivers a steady source of top quality content.

This magazine is smashing! :-)
    I love to read the articles, bought the first book and will buy this new one for sure.

“The person who knows HOW will always have a job. The person who knows WHY will always be his boss.” Famous quote by Ravitch, Diane
    This quote has influenced my whole life, I would like to share it with SM readers that recognize themselves in the rich variety of articles of HOW and WHY.

Very yours,
    neptisdotinfo

Smashing Magazine has helped me in my profession so many times with inspiration, determination and good down to earth advice. When I started reading this I was freelancing for a tiny publishing company. Now I’m working for the biggest digital agency in Ireland and just completed a Home Page Takeover on MSN for Coca Cola’s Christmas Campaign: ie.msn.com. Thanks SM,

I read Smashing Magazine to stay updated and get inspired!

Michaël Staudenmann

November 23, 2010 2:25 am

I was enjoyed to read the 1st book. I know that the second book will be better. I can’t wait for January :)

Antonio G. Bacete

November 23, 2010 2:25 am

Because is simple, awesome, interesting… and this second book is gonna be legendary.
    I can’t wait…

Smashing-mag ftw!

From easy to follow design tutorials to great freebies, Smashing Magazine’s the one site I make sure not to miss. Keep up the awesome work!

Any luck of getting a Kindle-readable version?

There’s so many crappy blogs and websites on the web … but SM with it’s quality content is certainly NOT one of those!

best professional resource ever, SM rocks!

I love smashing! I really don’t know what I used to do before it existed! Keep the inspiration coming! thank you

I love the fact that you make me think about all aspects of design and work practices…

Keep up the good work

I can’t imagine a web without Smashing Magazine.

Keep on inspiring me!

I read Smashing Magazine because it is simply the best web design magazine on the web!

Richard Pullinger

November 23, 2010 2:27 am

I love Smashing for the diverse selection of quality posts. The smashing network has also helped me discover a load of new blogs which I now regularly follow.

I would love to see a series of articles on developers html/css workflows and what they do to speed up or streamline the process of building websites. I’d also like to see an increase in the number of the more technical posts.

Smashing Magazine has helped me stay at the top of my game. Whenver I have a client ask for something that I’m not sure about, Smashing Mag is my first place to search for information and tips.

If it wasn’t for Smashing Mag, I don’t think I’d be where I am now.

Thanks to all of the Smashing Magazine team for dedicating themselves to the industry and to the readers :D

I read your articles every day and I will definitely buy your second book! I’m really looking forward to January 2011!
    Keep on delivering this great stuff!

Glenn Van Bogaert

November 23, 2010 2:28 am

Well, can’t wait for the second one as I really enjoyed the first one. Keep up this good work guys!

Smashing Magazine is one of the most inspirational and useful web resources available.

You guys help me with freelance and my daily job, there’s always something worth reading about on here :)