I’ve been meaning to write this post but just haven’t had the time to do so. I’ve received several messages and emails asking me about fonts that I use on some of my design projects. I have a pretty large font collection. Some of them are paid, but a lot of them are free! First of all, I suggest investing in some of the best typefaces out there but I also suggest that you take advantage of the free resources that can be found online.
Anyway, I just want to share with you some of my favorite websites to obtain some high-quality typefaces that you can immediately start using on your projects. By the way, a lot of the free fonts on these sites can also be used for @font-face implementation as well.
Download Free Fonts from These Websites
- The League of Moveable Type1
This website has a great collection of free fonts including League Gothic, which has really become popular. I would suggest following them on Twitter or subscribing to their feed as well.
- Lost Type2
I just recently stumbled upon this website and they have lots of great fonts that are available for download. Although the fonts are free, I’m sure they would love your support so maybe donate a few dollars to them.
- Font Squirrel3
This is a great website with tons of high-quality fonts that are mostly @font-face compatible. You can also download their fonts as @font-face kits and they also have a @font-face generator. This is definitely a great resource.
There are only a few fonts available for download on this site, but they are really nice. Lobster is a great font that has gained popularity and has even been included in the Google Font directory.
They have a great freebie section with lots of nice fonts to download.
There are a lot of fonts on this site. Sure, not all of them are the best quality, but I usually go to this site if I’m looking for a font to use with a particular look or theme. For example, if I wanted to use an Indiana Jones font or some other type of movie font, I would just do a search on this site.
With Free Fonts Comes Great Responsibility
Now that you have visited these websites and have downloaded lots of free fonts, you need to learn how to use these fonts wisely. Here are some great articles that you should read to get you started on good web typography.
- On Web Typography9
- More Meaningful Typography10
- Web Design is 95% Typography11
- The Elements of Typographic Style Applied to the Web12
- Typography Talk with Brian Hoff13
I hope that this short article was a help to you. What are some other great font resources and articles that I missed? Do you know of any other websites that offer goof, high-quality fonts for free? Please share it with us in the comments below. Thank you for your support!
- 1 http://www.theleagueofmoveabletype.com/
- 2 http://www.losttype.com/browse/
- 3 http://www.fontsquirrel.com/
- 4 http://www.impallari.com/
- 5 http://fontfabric.com/category/free/
- 6 http://www.dafont.com/
- 7 http://www.fontsquirrel.com/
- 8 http://www.google.com/webfonts
- 9 http://www.alistapart.com/articles/on-web-typography/
- 10 http://www.alistapart.com/articles/more-meaningful-typography/
- 12 http://webtypography.net/
- 13 http://designinformer.com/2009/typography-talk-brian-hoff-ask-expert/