And that’s not all: what’s really great about Node.js is the thousands of modules available for any purpose, as well as the vibrant community behind this young project. In this round-up, you will find the most useful resources for Node.js, from handy tools to detailed tutorials, not to mention in-depth articles and resources on this promising technology. Do you use Node.js already? Let us know in the comments to this post!
Useful Node.js Tools
Node Express Boilerplate2
Node Express Boilerplate gives the developer a clean slate, while bundling enough useful features to remove all of those redundant tasks that can derail a project before it even gets started.
Your infrastructure may have hundreds of log files spread across dozens of machines. To help you monitor deployments and troubleshoot, Log.io lets you instantly see composite streams of log messages in a single user interface.
Formaline is a low-level, full-featured (Node.js) module for handling form requests (HTTP POSTs and PUTs) and for parsing uploaded files quickly. It is also ready to use with, for example, middleware such as Connect.
This is a little supervisor script for Node.js. It runs your program and watches for code changes, so you can have hot-code reloading-ish behavior without worrying about memory leaks or having to clean up all of the inter-module references, and without a whole new
Stylus: An Expressive CSS Markup Language for Node.js16
Stylus is supposed to be an expressive language that can be converted to CSS. The compiler is written in Node.js.
Bricks.js is an advanced modular Web framework built on Node.js. It is highly flexible. Bricks.js can be used as a standalone static Web server, a basic routing framework or a multi-level Apache-like routing system; and it is modular enough to have the capability to completely switch out its routing engine.
90 open-source Node.js modules34
Recently, Browserling released over 90 Node.js modules to the open-source community. Some of them are small and strange modules, others might be pretty useful for your next Node.js project.
Node.js Step by Step42
Node.js Is Important: An Introduction48
“Once in a while, you come across a technology and are blown away by it. You feel that something like this should have been around much earlier and that it will be a significant milestone, not just in your own life as a developer but in general.
The Secrets of Node’s Success50
Asynchronous Code Design with Node.js52
The asynchronous event-driven I/O of Node.js is currently evaluated by many enterprises as a high-performance alternative to the traditional synchronous I/O of multi-threaded enterprise application server. The asynchronous nature means that enterprise developers have to learn new programming patterns, and unlearn old ones
Videos And Screencasts On Node.js
Technical Articles And Tutorials On Node.js
Proxying HTTP and Web Sockets in Node64
This guide is geared to beginners and people who are unfamiliar with reverse HTTP proxying, Web socket proxying, load balancing, virtual host configuration, request forwarding and other Web proxying concepts.
Bulletproof Node.js Coding66
“Right around the time that I started the third refactoring/rewrite of the code, I felt like I had gotten a feel for how to write bulletproof code, and I thought it would be worth sharing some of the style and conventions I came to adopt.”
HTML5 Canvas Drawing with Web Sockets, Node.JS and Socket.io72
Web sockets and canvas are two really cool features that are currently being implemented in browsers. This tutorial gives you a quick rundown of how they both work, and you’ll create a real-time drawing canvas that is powered by Node.js and Web sockets.
Developing Multiplayer HTML5 Games with Node.js74
Inspired by the famous iOS game Osmos, developer Boris Smus has created an alternative version of the game using HTML5 canvas and Node.js. This article explains the main phases of the project.
The IISnode project provides a native IIS 7.x module that enables hosting of Node.js applications on IIS. The project uses the Windows build of node.exe, which has recently seen major improvements.
Node.js + Phone to Control a Browser Game82
Someone wondered how easily a smart phone – specifically using its gyroscopes and accelerometers – could be used as a controller for a multi-player game on a larger screen. With a bit of Node.js and HTML5 magic, it turned out to be pretty simple.
Is There a Template Engine for Node.js?84
An engaging discussion appeared on StackOverflow about the template engines that are available for Node.js. Really useful arguments came out of this discussion.
Blogs, Podcasts, Resources On Node.js
Minute With Node.js93
Felix’s Node.js Guide95
Over the past few months, Felix have given a lot of talks and done a lot of consulting on Node.js. He found himself repeating a lot of things over and over, so he used some of his recent vacation to start this opinionated and unofficial guide to help people getting started in Node.js.
References And Books
Node.JS Help Sheet99
The Node Beginner Book101
Up and Running With Node.js103
Poll: Do You Use Node.js In Your Projects?
How often have you used Node.js in your projects? Have you found some particular tools or articles useful? Share your experience in the comments to this post. Thank you.
You might be interested in the following related posts:
- Back-End and Server Administration Guidelines107, by Smashing Magazine.
- 1 http://nodejs.org/
- 2 https://github.com/mape/node-express-boilerplate
- 3 https://github.com/mape/node-express-boilerplate
- 4 http://socket.io/
- 5 http://socket.io/
- 6 http://visionmedia.github.com/masteringnode/
- 7 http://visionmedia.github.com/masteringnode/
- 8 http://logio.org/
- 9 http://logio.org/
- 10 https://github.com/rootslab/formaline
- 11 https://github.com/rootslab/formaline
- 12 http://ldapjs.org/
- 13 http://ldapjs.org/
- 14 https://github.com/isaacs/node-supervisor
- 15 https://github.com/isaacs/node-supervisor
- 16 http://learnboost.github.com/stylus/
- 17 http://learnboost.github.com/stylus/
- 18 http://jade-lang.com/
- 19 http://jade-lang.com/
- 20 http://expressjs.com/
- 21 http://expressjs.com/
- 22 https://github.com/hookio/hook.io
- 23 https://github.com/hookio/hook.io
- 24 http://npmjs.org/
- 25 http://npmjs.org/
- 26 https://github.com/soldair/node-qrcode
- 27 https://github.com/soldair/node-qrcode
- 28 https://github.com/mixu/nwm
- 29 https://github.com/mixu/nwm
- 30 http://bricksjs.com/index.html
- 31 http://bricksjs.com/index.html
- 32 https://github.com/joyent/node/wiki/modules#templating
- 33 https://github.com/joyent/node/wiki/modules#templating
- 34 http://www.catonmat.net/blog/browserling-open-sources-90-node-modules/
- 35 http://www.catonmat.net/blog/browserling-open-sources-90-node-modules/
- 36 http://calip.so/
- 37 http://calip.so/
- 38 http://pdfkit.org/
- 39 http://pdfkit.org/
- 40 https://github.com/indexzero/forever
- 41 https://github.com/indexzero/forever
- 44 http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1884724/what-is-node-js
- 45 http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1884724/what-is-node-js
- 48 http://www.pavingways.com/nodejs-node-is-important-introduction_1618.html
- 49 http://www.pavingways.com/nodejs-node-is-important-introduction_1618.html
- 52 http://shinetech.com/thoughts/thought-articles/139-asynchronous-code-design-with-nodejs
- 53 http://shinetech.com/thoughts/thought-articles/139-asynchronous-code-design-with-nodejs
- 54 http://fennb.com/nodejs-a-giant-step-backwards
- 55 http://fennb.com/nodejs-a-giant-step-backwards
- 56 http://blog.ankurgoyal.com/post/6433642218/node-js-is-backwards
- 57 http://blog.ankurgoyal.com/post/6433642218/node-js-is-backwards
- 58 http://joyeur.com/2011/08/11/node-js-meetup-distributed-web-architectures/
- 59 http://joyeur.com/2011/08/11/node-js-meetup-distributed-web-architectures/
- 60 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo_B4LTHi3I
- 61 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo_B4LTHi3I
- 62 http://vimeo.com/18077379
- 63 http://vimeo.com/18077379
- 64 http://blog.nodejitsu.com/http-proxy-intro
- 65 http://blog.nodejitsu.com/http-proxy-intro
- 66 http://stella.laurenzo.org/2011/03/bulletproof-node-js-coding/
- 67 http://stella.laurenzo.org/2011/03/bulletproof-node-js-coding/
- 68 http://syskall.com/how-to-write-your-own-native-nodejs-extension
- 69 http://syskall.com/how-to-write-your-own-native-nodejs-extension
- 70 http://dailyjs.com/2010/11/01/node-tutorial/
- 71 http://dailyjs.com/2010/11/01/node-tutorial/
- 72 http://wesbos.com/html5-canvas-websockets-nodejs/
- 73 http://wesbos.com/html5-canvas-websockets-nodejs/
- 74 http://smus.com/multiplayer-html5-games-with-node
- 75 http://smus.com/multiplayer-html5-games-with-node
- 76 http://blog.carbonfive.com/2011/09/01/deploying-node-js-on-amazon-ec2/
- 77 http://blog.carbonfive.com/2011/09/01/deploying-node-js-on-amazon-ec2/
- 78 http://japhr.blogspot.com/2011/08/simple-nodejs-couchdb-calendar.html
- 79 http://japhr.blogspot.com/2011/08/simple-nodejs-couchdb-calendar.html
- 80 http://tomasz.janczuk.org/2011/08/hosting-nodejs-applications-in-iis-on.html
- 81 http://tomasz.janczuk.org/2011/08/hosting-nodejs-applications-in-iis-on.html
- 82 http://cykod.com/blog/post/2011-08-using-nodejs-and-your-phone-to-control-a-browser-game
- 83 http://cykod.com/blog/post/2011-08-using-nodejs-and-your-phone-to-control-a-browser-game
- 84 http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1787716/is-there-a-template-engine-for-node-js
- 85 http://howtonode.org/
- 86 http://howtonode.org/
- 87 http://blog.nodejitsu.com/
- 88 http://blog.nodejitsu.com/
- 89 http://nodeup.com/
- 90 http://nodeup.com/
- 91 http://nodetuts.com/
- 92 http://nodetuts.com/
- 93 http://node.minutewith.com/
- 94 http://node.minutewith.com/
- 95 http://nodeguide.com/
- 96 http://nodeguide.com/
- 97 http://nodeknockout.com/
- 98 http://nodeknockout.com/
- 99 http://www.gosquared.com/liquidicity/archives/1930
- 100 http://www.gosquared.com/liquidicity/archives/1930
- 101 http://nodebeginner.org/index.html
- 102 http://nodebeginner.org/index.html
- 103 http://ofps.oreilly.com/titles/9781449398583/index.html
- 104 http://ofps.oreilly.com/titles/9781449398583/index.html
- 105 http://polldaddy.com/poll/5508681/
- 107 http://www.smashingmagazine.com/back-end-server-administration-php-guidelines/