Desktop Wallpaper Calendars: May 2012

We always try our best to challenge your artistic abilities and produce some interesting, beautiful and creative artwork. And as designers we usually turn to different sources of inspiration. As a matter of fact, we’ve discovered the best one—desktop wallpapers that are a little more distinctive than the usual crowd. This creativity mission has been going on for over four years now, and we are very thankful to all designers who have contributed and are still diligently contributing each month.

We continue to nourish you with a monthly spoon of inspiration. This post features free desktop wallpapers created by artists across the globe for May 2012. Both versions with a calendar and without a calendar can be downloaded for free. It’s time to freshen up your wallpaper!

Please note that:

• All images can be clicked on and lead to the preview of the wallpaper,
  • You can feature your work in our magazine by taking part in our Desktop Wallpaper Calendar series. We are regularly looking for creative designers and artists to be featured on Smashing Magazine. Are you one of them?

You May Rain

Designed by Ioana Bitin (aka Yoot) from Romania.

Flight Of The Owl

Designed by Katerina Bobkova from Ukraine.

Colorful

Designed by Lotum from Germany.

May Charts

"Charts of May weeks. Designed for working environment that helps classify desktop files into categories." Designed by Sherif Saleh from France.

Yatta!

Designed by Alex Dovksha from Belarus.

Food Of Love

"Love needs food too! And what can be better than music! The two most prescious gifts of life, love and music is expressed beautifullyin this quote by William Shakespeare." Designed by Adrija Mukhopadhyay from India.

Sunny Hours

Designed by Christine Bradway from USA.

Japan

"Japan is the land of the rising sun." Designed by Cheloveche.ru from Russia.

Doodle Lizard

"Negative space lizard on a bed of doodles." Designed by James N Osborne from United Kingdom.

Spring Dots

Designed by Pietje Precies from the Netherlands.

Limundograd

"Limundograd (Limundocity) is an illustration for an e-commerce auction site called limundo.com, designed to show users what the site consists of, and much more!" Designed by Mrki from Serbia.

Wishing On A Star

"Keep an eye out for those shooting stars during the clear summer nights. If you see one, make a wish and maybe it’ll come true…" Designed by Eddie Wong from Ireland.

Be Like Him

"Inspired by a verse in the Bible." Designed by Lex Valishvili from Russia/USA.

Thingvellir

"The photo was taken at Thingvellir national park, Iceland." Designed by Naioo from Germany.

Justin Bbq

"It’s spring time, and we at JustLanded.com are celebrating with a BBQ!" Designed by Adelacreative from UK.

Red Panda

Designed by Ingrid Cruz from USA.

Mangolicious May

"In India, May is mostly known for summer holidays and the season of Mango- the best amongst all the fruits. Its the best in terms of flavour, richness and sweetness.As the scorching heat increases in this month, its the delicious mango which keeps us going and makes us look forward to summers. This wallpaper is dedicated to the King of Fruits-Mango." Designed by Charuta Puranik from India.

Grunge Fairy

"May’s fairy is grungy and dark." Designed by Bobbie Killip from UK.

Wonderful Island

"Wonderful Island is the annual meeting point for a unique community of various fairy creatures from different parts of the world. They come here every single year on the exact same day – May, 1 to talk with the old friends and have fun. The merriest guys are, certainly, Furst, the middle-aged Yeti from the North of Iceland and his best friend Charles Dooon, aka DJ Chuck-Chuck, who can’t imagine their lives without music." Designed by Maria S. from USA.

Solitude Is Bliss

Designed by Mohammed Aaqib Ansari from India.

Tentacles

Designed by Julie Lapointe from Canada.

Come What May

Designed by Melissa Infantino from USA.

Join In Next Month!

Please note that we respect and carefully consider the ideas and motivation behind each and every artist’s work. This is why we give all artists the full freedom to explore their creativity and express emotions and experience throughout their works. This is also why the themes of the wallpapers weren’t anyhow influenced by us, but rather designed from scratch by the artists themselves.

A big thank you to all designers for their participation. Join in next month!

What’s Your Favourite?

What’s your favorite theme or wallpaper for this month? Please let us know in the comment section below.

Stay creative and keep on smashing!

(il) (vf)

The Smashing Team loves high-quality content and cares about little details. Through our online articles, books and eBooks and Smashing Conferences, we are committed to stimulating creativity and strengthening the Web design community’s creative forces.

Awesome collection ! as usual…. thnx for sharing !!

Definitely the owl from the Ukrainian woman (though maybe a different animal next month?), and Doodle Lizard and Mangolicious. Also Thingvellir.

Doodle Lizard gets my vote this month! – Very creative!…and it looks great on my 27″ iMac :-)

I also like Tentacles and Sunny Hours !!!

As always, excellent work by all artists.

Yet another great collection of talent. Once again I love Cheloveche.ru’s work (this month Japan). But I also love “Flight of the Owl”. “You May Rain” is pretty cute too.

Love your wallpapers, I look forward to it every month. Please have more wallpapers in 1280×1024 resolutions, thank you!!

GREAT!!!!! you my rain is my favourite ( cuz i m from romania too :!!!)

Love to see what is new each month. However, not impressed this time. Hoped to see some “May flowers”. Oh well, maybe next month…

These are great as always. Any chance of some dual monitor options in the future?

I think, for different resolutions, it’s better to only put highest aspect ratios. like biggest 16:9, 16:10, 3:4, etc.
    Or please follow most used resolutions, this time was great for me, most of wallpapers had 1280*800

Ralph Williams

May 1, 2012 5:10 am

My favorite is “Be Like Him”!

Thanks for sharing!

Brenda S. Adams

May 1, 2012 5:15 am

I love anything involving owls so I always go with your owl theme of the month so I have to vote for Flight of the Owl for May’s wallpaper. ~♥~ I love your designs, something for everyone! Thanks for being my go-to wallpaper source… :)

I have “Japan” on my desktop this month, because it’s so cheerful and it has the waving cat. In Dutch we say: in mei zijn we blij (we’re happy with luck in may; it rhymes in dutch).
    Hope we are all lucky in May!!!
    Thanks for the beautifull wallpaper :-)

Very nice collection again this month, specially like the “colorful” wall!

Sanchi Weblead

May 1, 2012 12:16 pm

‘Wishing On A Star’ is my choice!! #awesome

Thingvellir is nice

Jamie Northrup

May 1, 2012 1:46 pm

I’m going to use the Wishing on a Star one this month :)

Thanks for choosing me :) How neat! Proud to be among such talent!

xoxox

Once again, posting my customary “thank you”. Thanks go out to the artists and SM :)

Again, so few options for 2560×1440. This collection is seriously going downhill =(

Phil Geusebroek

May 1, 2012 6:10 pm

I love Colorful! Very fresh!

Eh, these were all kind of disappointing, none of them were really spring-related. The “Come What May” was a good idea, but was not well-executed. The contrast was bad. Better luck next time I guess.

Anyone else got boring with all those funny creatures on wallpapers? Or is it me only?
    I’d either ban those kinds of submissions or name the contest as “Funny creature of the month”

wau..so cute..like it=)

Red Panda is cute. However, Ingrid Cruz, just to let you know, April has 30 days, not 31…

Great thank’s to all!

as usual i downloaded them all then instruct my smart macintosh to change pict every minute: they are too lovely ;)

my pref is for _doodle lizard_
    then _tenctacles_ and _yatta_

ciao from bologna, italy.

I particularly liked Thingvellir, Be Like Him, and Wishing On A Star. Colorful was also great.

Thanks, Smashing, and artists, for some wonderful resources!

Jonathan La Plante

May 1, 2012 10:28 pm

Come “What May” looks like Oswego, NY to me, Nice job Melissa!

The monthly owl wallpapers have been my favorites for my home PC! This month’s ‘Flight of the Owl’ is super! I am using the ‘Sunny Hours’ for my work desktop this month. I love having so many choices, that sometimes I switch mid-month!

Awesome wallpaper ! Love Yatta image

mostly is interesting~~and I love the ‘food of love’ most~~

I’m kind of disappointed in this month’s wallpapers. Normally I find a few I like…this month I found one that’s a “maybe”

This is one of the weakest collection of this normally great series.

Really nice collection.Thank you for sharing.

‘You may rain’ by Loot is the best out of the lot. Kudos Loot!! Thanks for sharing this collection.

You May Rain, Flight of the Owl, and Wishing on a Star……..So hard to choose!!! I love them! Thank you for helping us make our desktop more fun at the workplace ;D <3

“Colorful” and “May Charts” for the win.
    That Scriptina font is my kryptonite.

I look forward to these posts every month! Thank you very much.

I love Limundograd, thank you for brighting up my universe every month…

Dhiren Suthar

May 3, 2012 3:53 pm

I Like “Grunge Fairy” Very Much and “Solitude Is Bliss” also a nice One

Awesome collection ! as usual….
    thnx all of you for sharing !!

almog shemesh

May 3, 2012 8:17 pm

Tentacles is my fav! great drawing, love the gray tones.

@participants: salute.. for your hardwork… good job :)

Insanity & Me

May 4, 2012 3:17 pm

Loving the “Come what may” one.

Thanks for the awesome collection :)!

I’m loving the ongoing owl series. This month I have to go with May your wishes and dreams come true… as we just bought a house – so timely!

Tentacles is beautiful. Such a clean, elegant design. Brava!

Stephen Kistner

May 5, 2012 5:27 am

A little late but here’s my May wallpaper. http://drbl.in/dUdl

Grunge Fairy, love it! :D

love your work,love all the wallpapers,please try to make more wallpapers for the size of 1366 x 768 please!! always looking forward for you collection!! :)

Really like this month’s! Personally I think the layouts are far simpler and clearer than previous motnhs (in a good way!) and I love the colour!

Having a hard time deciding between:
    Colourful
    Doodle lizard
    Spring Dots
    Thingvellir
    Red Panda
    Tentacles

although I am going with Doodle Lizard for now :)

Good collections of cartoonist wallpapers, very impressive Doodle lizard , owl one and the love one i love these all and all they amazingg nice collection:D

Hi guys.. thank you for sharing those beautiful pictures

My favorite picture in this month is You May Rain and I like Red Panda too, really cute..

Waiting for another awesome collections.

Thanks!! ^_^

Why are there three different images featuring an identical island concept? There must be a better variety of ideas out there… and a better variety of art than the same vector characters every month.

“Come What May’ is beautiful!

Philip Wallage

May 9, 2012 8:17 pm

My 27″ iMac misses its resolution 2560×1440 :c

go for black :(

“you May rain” is my fav it’s so cute.

‘Come What May’ is by far my favorite of this bunch. I think March and mostly February had better ones however.

Thanks I like all stuff but two “Solitude Is Bliss” and “Sunny Hours” are amazing.

I like the BE LIKE HIM – Different than the rest or usual stuff. Prrrrfct ! Also makes the viewer question, dig deeper, ponder,learn,care,LOVE !!

My favorite is tentacles. Love the image and the usable calendar.

Talk about it, every single wallpaper post starts with “We always try our best to challenge your artistic abilities and produce some interesting, beautiful and creative artwork”….. Where’s the originality that made Smashing what it is today?