Desktop Wallpaper Calendars: June 2012

We always try our best to challenge your artistic abilities and produce some interesting, beautiful and creative artwork. And as designers we usually turn to different sources of inspiration. As a matter of fact, we’ve discovered the best one—desktop wallpapers that are a little more distinctive than the usual crowd.

This creativity mission has been going on for over four years now, and we are very thankful to all designers who have contributed and are still diligently contributing each month. This post features free desktop wallpapers created by artists across the globe for June 2012. Both versions with a calendar and without a calendar can be downloaded for free. It’s time to freshen up your wallpaper!

Please note that:

• All images can be clicked on and lead to the preview of the wallpaper,
  • You can feature your work in our magazine by taking part in our Desktop Wallpaper Calendar series. We are regularly looking for creative designers and artists to be featured on Smashing Magazine. Are you one of them?

Without Angry

"This bird is cool not angry :-)." Designed by Tinjo Thomas from India.

Hello Summer

"Flying people are saying hello to summer." Designed by Paul Capcan from Moldova.

Chromatic Baba

"Baba(sadhu) is the Hindu ascetic who has renounced caste, social position, money, and authority and occupies a special place in Hindu society.He absorbed all colors from a spiritual life, devoid of material pleasure, mostly engaged in visiting holy places." Designed by Yoshita Singhai from India.

Fontstache

"This piece pays homage to Mr. Roger Hargreaves, creative kids author to such imaginative stories as Mr. Messy and my personal favourite: Mr. Bounce.We utilized the ‘Curly Brackets’ and titled each according to the font type that was used. Appropriate for the month of June as we celebrate Father’s Day this month." Designed by Pop Up Factory from Milton, Ontario, Canada.

Go Nuts For Donuts

Designed by Bonnie Bladen from USA.

Brjs – Playing Cards

Designed by Gisela Eblagon from Argentina.

Sunset In Jamaica

"Photo from a recent trip to Jamaica edited to give a retro look and feel." Designed by Tommy Digiovanni from USA.

Beach

Designed by Lotum from Germany.

Dreams

"This is the summer of dreams. Go get them!" Designed by Nandor Tamas from USA.

Friendly Fire

Designed by Roland Szabo from Hungary.

June Romance

"Mark and Jenny Linn are, perhaps, the dreamiest and the most romantic couple in the whole world. Their love story began in a vintage San Francisco bookstore 5 years ago and continues till the present day. In June Mark and Jenny usually arrange aspecial dinner to watch the night sky and make a common wish for the future, while watching the falling star." Designed by Maria S. from USA.

Magic Night

Designed by Mateusz Mackowiak from Poland.

Africa

Designed by Cheloveche.ru from Russia.

Fruit Ninja Did This

Designed by Ioana Bitin (aka Yoot) from Romania.

Basketball Nagraj

"Nagraj is an comic superhero in India. In this wallpaper you can see Nagraj as a basketball. I made this a little fun because in India June is a Holiday season for children." Designed by Sandeep Virk from India.

Retro Smile

"This is the retro photography of my aunt from 1964 photographed in the beautiful village near the city Nis in Serbia." Designed by Marija Zaric from Serbia.

Vidovdan – Folk Festival

Designed by Tihomir Budic from BiH/Republika Srpska.

I Need Holidays

"After a busy year, we need a long vacation!" Designed by Gopango Networks from Spain.

Out Of The Box

"Release your creativity!" Designed by Ajan Navaratnasingam from London, UK.

Fete De La Musique

"La Fete de la Musique, also known as World Music Day, is a music festival taking place on June 21, read more on wikipedia." Designed by Sherif Saleh from France.

June Pastures

Designed by Nishant Sapra from India.

Illustration

"Vector hand drawing illustration of beautiful woman’s face with flowers in her hair and floral pattern behind her." Designed by Jane Lane from Russia.

Euro 2012

Designed by Katerina Bobkova from Ukraine.

Paris Summer

Designed by Martina Pitбkovб from Slovakia.

Join In Next Month!

Please note that we respect and carefully consider the ideas and motivation behind each and every artist’s work. This is why we give all artists the full freedom to explore their creativity and express emotions and experience throughout their works. This is also why the themes of the wallpapers weren’t anyhow influenced by us, but rather designed from scratch by the artists themselves.

A big thank you to all designers for their participation. Join in next month!

What’s Your Favourite?

What’s your favorite theme or wallpaper for this month? Please let us know in the comment section below.

Stay creative and keep on smashing!

(il) (vf)

The Smashing Team loves high-quality content and cares about little details. Through our online articles, books and eBooks and Smashing Conferences, we are committed to stimulating creativity and strengthening the Web design community’s creative forces.

Nice collection of well colorful desktop wallpaper.Thank you for sharing,

EURO 2012!!! yeahhh!

Hate the Africa wallpaper. It boarders on racist. Should be removed. Sad that you thought it was ok to post in the first place.

In what way is it racist?!

Great collection again this month.

Euro 2012 for my small monitor, Sunset in Jamaica for my iMac!

I’ll admit that when I saw the Africa wallpaper I immediately thought of the style of caricature that used in the past in racist illustrations. Not to mention the primitive theme. I highly doubt the artist meant for that (or at least I’d like to think so) but I can see why Shawna could see it that way.

Other than that, the collection of wallpapers is great.

Jeremiah Selengia

June 1, 2012 6:50 pm

In what way is this racist?

1. It depicts Africa and African people are all wearing leopard print primitive clothing and hunt with spears.
        2. We are all dependent on aid, from the developed world which the robot clearly shows.
        3. It’s ignorant, yes there are tribes who still wear primitive clothing and still live the same way as they did hundreds of years ago. But they are all in mainland areas and not by the coast as the image depicts. Furthermore being from Russia which is not the most friendliest of countries towards foreigners, adds to why this is racist.

1 – No, it doesn’t. If you’re going down that route, then the BBC sting which featured Massai tribesmen jumping is also representative of the whole of Africa.

2 – The wallpaper isn’t saying Africa is dependent on aid. As I see it, it’s a representation of a situation in certain parts of the continent, which is well documented throughout the world.

3 – A sweeping generalisation about the race of the artist? I hope the irony of that isn’t lost on you…

SM – Thanks for the link! I don’t think that any sort of justification is needed from yourselves or the artist. Doesn’t really matter though, I can’t read Russian!

Fruit ninja is my favorite one =)

I am African and I am not offended by this at all.

1. Yes!! Even in 2012, Africans wear their traditional clothing that includes leopard skins, columbus monkey furs, spears, shields, huge earrings, goat skins, bangles etc. While you seem to have a problem acknowledging this, I am quite proud of our indigenous wear. Its got swag!

2. My friend, it is good to admit that most countries in Africa are dependent on foreign aid, with some government budgets receiving up to 40-60% supplementary assistance in foreign aid. How you interpret that the illustration is a depiction of African dependence on foreign aid must lay in your interpretation the robot. You are implying that the robot must be foreign and cannot be ‘made in Africa’. How did you come to that conclusion? Are you implying that Africans cannot make robots? I think the robot is from Africa, specifically, the robot was designed by Sam from Togo. Check out a video of his robot :http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=sPIq4LbUODk

3. It is not true that the people whom you say wear ‘primitive clothing’ all live inland and are not found the coastal part of the country. In my country, we do not wear ‘primitive clothing’, we wear our traditional attire on occasion and we wear it proudly. Second, these people who wear this primitive clothes, including myself, are found all over the country, in the cities, the beaches and inland.

Yeah, the Africa one creeps me out too.

Chris Sargeant

June 1, 2012 3:23 pm

Calm down, I don’t think that was something the creator intended. This is a sutuation where intent should be considered.

Smashing Support

June 1, 2012 5:59 pm

The artist portrays different illustrations with the robot (http://www.cheloveche.ru/) — no racism was intended at all. He also explains in a post that this wallpaper is dedicated to African children in Africa (http://www.cheloveche.ru/posts/60377-chelovecheskiy-rabochiy-stol-na-iyun-2012).

Hope you now calm down – see there is no racism ! :D

Just because it wasn’t intended doesn’t mean it is not racist. I find this offensive. Many times racism is not intended, but society says its okay. This is not okay.

Smashing Magazine should be more responsible and think about what they are doing.

Hi! My choice is Brjs – Playing Cards. What does it mean Brjs?

craig_treble99

May 31, 2012 6:17 pm

Resolution of my new monitor in work is 2560×1600 – first month in a few years i’ve not been able to have a smashing magazine wallpaper :(

Kudos! June favorites: Chromatic Baba… Beach… Retro Smile… Illustration. I like them for all sorts of reasons, but one I’ll point out: wallpaper shouldn’t encourage a headache at the end of a long day. While I loved the design simplicity and the feel of Paris Summer, orange and red on my monitor make my optic nerves, well… nervous. Also, others probably like them, but personally I’m not too stylistically fond of cartoon-is vector wallpapers of the Friendly Fire and Basketball Nagraj ilk. I do love seeing artists’ work from all over the world though… Kudos again, SM. Great collection!

My favorites are I Need Holidays and Brjs – Playing Cards. Great illustrations and usable calendars.

Nice collection.. thank you!

They’re ll so creative! But my fav is the Illustration of the beautiful woman’s face… clean and unexpected but very summery. : )

My Favorite is Sunset In Jamaica but would recommend that the date be located slightly higher… As I can’t see it with my fixed bottom Menu bar..

Sunset in Jamaica is just stunning!

I like Brjs – Playing Cards

It is really nice. Thanks!

Thanqch a lot guys…
    All wallpapers are awesome…great work

There must be huge number of entries every month from which SM teams filters out the selected calendars. Kudos to the SM team.
    Any guesses how many entries would have been there in total for a particular month?

Wow! Rarely from these post can I say I have 8 favourites! Usually 2 or 3 stand out but I adore so many of these. Great work from all.

Not your best selection this month – most are just too banal, not enough punch. The Chromatic Baba one is beautiful though.

Hello everybody. Out of the box is my favorite this month. I prefer wallpapers with a lot of free space. June must be colorfull and sunny, I see it in those triangles flying out of the box. Nice idea : “bravo” as we say in French !

i love these every month. although i must say, all the summery designs make me feel a bit left out here in the southern hemisphere :)

The Chromatic Baba was by far my favourite. The fontstache one was pretty fun too.

I love Out of the Box. Thanks very much~!

“Out Of The Box” on my desktop at work now, as much needed incentive for creativity :)
    Thanks, Ajan.

I just love I need Holidays !!! The monkey is so cool!

Like the beach, the cards, and outside the box. Would enjoy seeing any of these three for a month on my desktop. Thanks for sharing.

Awesome collection colorful desktop wallpaper.Thank you for sharing,

I like Chromatic Baba Most , also beach and Last Illustration I love it.

I really love June Pastures, but Illustration and June Romance are close runner ups.

Shortlisted 8 for my dekstop. Has got to be one of the best batches I’ve seen so far.

Thank you, once again, to SM & contributors!

My vote’s for Fruit Ninja. Not so much for the Ninja as for the story that was conveyed in just one frame. That’s good comic strip stuff there.

All are equally good.

Vigneshwar Raj

June 2, 2012 7:05 am

Basketball Nagraj – Hilarious !

Bobkova is always my favourite!

NAGRAJ ROCKS

“Out Of The Box” is so nice, thank you!

Stephanie Howell

June 2, 2012 6:47 pm

Hello Summer is my pick!

Fontstache is awesome! great idea for a wallpaper.
    i also like Africa with the illustrations and Out of the Box, clean, simple and beautiful.

I Need Holidays!!! lol :D

I found this month’s collection especially creative … thanks to all.

I missed it this month!!!. I had created the calendar but wasn’t able to send it across in time.
    The work displayed is truly inspiring.

This month is one of the best collections of wallpapers ever. Too many good choices!

Sanchit Thakur

June 4, 2012 4:07 pm

Sandeep Virk.. Great take on my favorite Super hero!!

Hi from Cheloveche.
    Guys, about what you said here. The last thing we meant to say in this picture was something racist. You see, this wallpaper was drawn to celebrate The Day of the African Child (celebrated on June 16). It’s not about White Supremacy, mocking African kids or any other expression of racism. In this picture we see African kids with happy smiling faces and a robot, which brought them presents and stuff. Yes, robot wears cork hat, because he came from Europe and it is SUN FIRES LIKE HELL IN AFRICA, it’s too hot for a poor robot, but he wants to bring joy to African kids, so he puts on a cork hat and goes there. It has nothing to do with the English Colonists. Another reason for the robot to wear a cork hat is that he has a living fish in his head. This fish is his friend whom he cherishes and loves, so in order to protect it from merciless sun the robot has put this cork hat on. Again, it has nothing to do with the English Colonists.
    And the same thing about the kids. What’s wrong with their clothes?
    We are totally against racism. But let’s not start witch hunting and claim our wallpaper to be an expression of racism. It’s more like a cartoon, cute story aboyt funny happy, SMILING kids and a friendly robot.

Thank you for providing an explanation about your Africa wallpaper. The message you wanted to express in your wallpaper is very positive and inspiring. Unfortunately that message wasn’t conveyed very well in the wallpaper itself. I instantly felt uncomfortable upon seeing it.

African peoples have been depicted in a negative manner on a regular basis in the media, school, and in cartoons, especially in the United States. I’m not saying there’s any particular country or race to blame here, but the issue requires a little more sensitivity (and probably research). Illustrating African children in leopard-skin rags as opposed to traditional fabrics or clothing that Africans have been wearing for hundreds of years was a controversial decision. Showing a bone in a child’s hair when many of the African children I’ve seen wear bows, jeweled hair pieces, or colorful hair wraps was questionable as well. Maybe these are representations of the early years of African civilization, but the modern day robot giving aid contradicts that.

You may have not meant any harm at all, but given the situation, a lot of this could have been avoided with happy, smiling African children like you illustrated, just in more accurate African clothing and accessories, like the lovely hoop earrings you created.

I love “Hello Summer” and it’s occupying my desktop right now!

‘Hello Summer’ is my fav this month…thanks Smashing Mag!

Why is in June Romance marked Friday and Saturday? It is not really common …

Jamie Northrup

June 4, 2012 9:09 pm

Can’t go wrong with Monkeys, but a lot of nice ones this month, I was disappointed last month.

Roland Szabo from Hungary, u rockkkk!! Great piece of wallpaper, great thinking, KUDOS!!

Overall, VERY nice collection of wallpapers this month. Too gud, thanks a lot for sharing!!

Hey Yoshita, you have done amazing work!!!

sorry but.. meh. too many cartoony illustrations in this lot. looking forward to july tho!

What no votes for “Chromatic Baba” !

It is creepingly stunning. love it.

The “Sunset in Jamaica” is also awesome, though it reminds me too much of a place I’d rather be LOL.

Love “Beach” — I’ll be sad when it’s July! Nice work, designer LOTUM!

Wow. No love for 2560 this month.

My instant favorite is Chromatic Baba. The wallpaper simply inspires me, based not only on its interesting artwork and color choices but also on its message. Though I have been enjoying these Smashing wallpapers for years, I have never posted until now. This is the first time in many months that someone’s work has inspired me to post about it.

That being said, I am often impressed by the wonderful work that all entrants have done. You truly are a talented bunch. Keep up the good vibes.

And thank you.

Aww!! So many lovely wallpapers, I just wish I could keep all wallpapers as Background in one time. Great great great :)

Loving Chromatic Baba! The colour and detailing of the illustration is beautiful, I can’t stop staring at my desktop!

Helge-Kristoffer Wang

June 8, 2012 10:53 am

Lots of good looking wallpapers, but I kind of miss lots of them in the resolution I use. 2560×1440 (iMac 27″) – which I believe is very common amongst designers.

And if the author of Chromatic Baba sees this, I’d love to have it in the resolution I just mentioned. :) Pretty slick wallpaper! :D

The best is ‘Fete De La Musique’… Have a nice month you all… :)

My favourite is “Vidovdan – Folk Festival” by Tihomir!

Need more of the “Tidy Desktop” wallpapers like the blue one from April (I’m still using it!)… It keeps my desktop uncluttered!

EVERY calendar this month has Monday as the leftmost column.
    Where I live, the week starts on Sunday and that’s how all my calendars are displayed. For over a year now I’ve been using Smashingmagazine calendar wallpapers but I’m always limited to a subset because I need Sunday to be the leftmost column. This month I’m limited to…. none :(

Thank you Melvyn!! I have been complaining about the calendar option for sometime now and it has only gotten worse! Yeah, yeah…I know. It’s free so stop complaining, right? Well, free or not it’s ANNOYING! The calendars are useless for anyone in the US. Our weeks start on SUNDAY!! And what’s with the line calendars? Who can really keep track of the months or any days to come in that fashion! More uselessness. Unfortunately, I think my days here are done. Plenty of other sites that have functional calendars or at LEAST options!

Sunset In Jamaica looks strangely familiar…. http://files.smashingmagazine.com/wallpapers/may-12/images/full/come_what_may__33.jpg

great collection this month! currently rocking “greetings from June” love the image used.

Beach

Designed by Lotum from Germany.

… is the winner of this month!

I see I am not the only one here frustrated by the fact that 2560×1440 is still not a standard size for these. This is a design/web based website, I am assuming most of us who come to this site are as well. So….how about keeping that in mind for your wallpaper sizes. Thanks. I think we all have been asking for this for quite some time. Please listen to your audience!

I love Chromatic Baba! Absolutely stunning!

I love the retro bike. Thanks.

Just saying; I love these wallpapers!

I always find myself waiting for the next month to start, just so I can choose a new desktop background.

Big love for whoever makes these- you’re awesome! <3