Desktop Wallpaper Calendars: May 2013

We always try our best to challenge your artistic abilities and produce some interesting, beautiful and creative artwork. And as designers we usually turn to different sources of inspiration. As a matter of fact, we’ve discovered the best one—desktop wallpapers that are a little more distinctive than the usual crowd.

This creativity mission has been going on for over five years now1, and we are very thankful to all the designers who have contributed and are still diligently contributing each month. This post features free desktop wallpapers created by artists across the globe for May 2013. Both versions with a calendar and without a calendar can be downloaded for free. It’s time to freshen up your wallpaper!

Please note that:

The Green Bear

Designed by Pedro Rolo4 from Portugal.

The Green Bear5

Power

Designed by Elise Vanoorbeek19 from Belgium.

Power20

Quote Of The Day

Designed by Eloise Ha from Malaysia.

Quote of the Day36

Winter Is Over

Designed by Uxue Goikoetxea60 from Spain.

Winter is Over61

Raring Ringtail

Designed by Vlad Studio75 from Russia.

Vlad Studio76

Get Caught Reading Month

Designed by Jill Hamilton92 from Canada.

Get Caught Reading Month93

Full Of Spirit

Designed by Ushuk Maria107 from USA.

Full of spirit108

World’s Labor Day

Designed by debobrata debnath139 from India.

World's Labor Day140

April Showers Bring May Flowers

Designed by Morgan Newnham154 from USA.

April Showers Bring May Flowers155

Octopus: The Master Of Disguise

Designed by Sasha Endoh176 from Canada.

Octopus: The Master of Disguise177

The Arabian Stud

Designed by Atelier Pall203 from Romania.

The Arabian Stud204

A Better Summer

Designed by Joeri Claes218 from Belgium.

A better summer219

May I Love You

Designed by Julien Savoldi from Belgium.

May I Love You231

Game Boy

Designed by Sander Geenen from Belgium.

Game Boy253

Mental Health Awareness Day

Designed by Kay Karremans267 from Belgium.

Mental health awareness day - illustration268

Old vs. New

Designed by Wannes De ROy284 from Belgium.

Old vs. New285

Museum Day

Designed by cheloveche.ru297 from Russia.

Museum Day298

Blooming

Designed by Alexandru Nastase310 from Romania.

Blooming311

Ethnic Snake

Designed by Katerina Bobkova325 from Ukraine.

Ethnic Snake326

Maypole Animals

Designed by Charlotte Blatchford342 from UK.

Maypole Animals343

May Fiesta

Designed by Pat Buenaobra363 from Philippines.

Illustration364

“He Who Sings…”

Designed by Yiannis Kranidiotis376 from Greece.

Awaiting Rebirth

Designed by Kristof Van Espen419 from Belgium.

Awaiting rebirth420

Splash!

Designed by Ajan Navaratnasingam432 from London, UK.

Splash!433

Mondriaan

Designed by Siemon Donvil445 from Belgium.

Mondriaan446

Praise The Workers On Labor Day

Designed by N. Baeten from Belgium.

Praise the workers on Labor Day456

Daydream

Designed by Maarten Wydooghe476 from Belgium.

Daydream477

May Around the World

Designed by dangerbrain495 from USA.

May Around the World496

Mothers Day

Designed by Kim Janssens510 from Belgium.

Mothers day511

Savanna May

Designed by Brian Jonah Obara523 from Kenya.

Savanna May524

Puppet Show

Designed by Pietje Precies561 from The Netherlands.

Puppet Show562

Join In Next Month!

Please note that we respect and carefully consider the ideas and motivation behind each and every artist’s work. This is why we give all artists the full freedom to explore their creativity and express emotions and experience throughout their works. This is also why the themes of the wallpapers weren’t anyhow influenced by us, but rather designed from scratch by the artists themselves.

A big thank you to all the designers for their participation. Join in next month578!

What’s Your Favorite?

What’s your favorite theme or wallpaper for this month? Please let us know in the comment section below.

↑ Back to topShare on Twitter

The Smashing team loves high-quality content and cares about the little details. Through our online articles, books and eBooks and Smashing Conferences, we are committed to stimulating creativity and strengthening the web design community’s creative forces.

Really nice collection this month but I like “Full Of Spirit” the most. It’s already on my desktop. Thanks guys!!! More grease…

But where have the designers’ comments gone?!

Vitaly Friedman (editor-in-chief of Smashing Magazine)

May 1, 2013 3:08 pm

We had a glitch in the system this time. They will be coming back next month — thanks for noticing! :)

Took the Arabian Stud this time… easy on the eyes and impressive… thanks guys for sharing your talent

All really nice but had to go with Quote Of The Day :)

I really like the minimalistic Game Boy. Job well done, Sander!

Nice set of wallpapers. I’m taking Fiesta, reminds me of the good old days of happy month of May while growing up back in the Philippines. Kudos to all!

Illustration is nice

Pat Buenaobra

May 1, 2013 8:07 am

Thank you! thank you Chiles. i entitled it wrong. its supposed to be FIESTA MAY.
      thanks thanks!

Pat Buenaobra

May 1, 2013 8:05 am

why my entries always titled as Illustration? =)
    this one is supposed to be “MAY FIESTA”.

maybe there’s something wrong in my title subject in my email.
    anyway, Thank you Smashing Mag! God bless!

I love the Mondrian one

Patrick Taylor

May 1, 2013 12:48 pm

I am really gutted there is no May calendar from Ricardo Gimenes. His March and April ones were fantastic, but there are some great ones here.

Δημήτρης

May 1, 2013 2:08 pm

Great :)

Nice selection this month, had to go with A better summer but might switch to May I Love You later this month. :)

Nice. ”Old vs. New” is a great wallpaper, i want to go there.

where are wallpapers with 1366X768 configuration? That sucks.

Was going to use Blooming by Alexandru Nastase until I noticed the calendar days are completely wrong by two days. May 1, 2013 is a Wednesday but this calendar makes it appear to be a Monday. :(

Alexandru Nastase

May 1, 2013 9:26 pm

Cheers Matt, glad you liked it, I saw my mistake after submitting it :( if you want hit me an email and I’ll send you the corrected one.

wow, it is a so beautifull month :)

Dina Sebastio

May 1, 2013 6:00 pm

May introduces him, for tradition as one very rich month not of ideas.
    Belgium, this month, it gets the part of the lion and among the various proposed jobs, I choose, for the simplicity, “May I Love You.”
    Thanks, S.M., to next month, you remain always the strongest.

Morgan Newnham

May 1, 2013 6:09 pm

Thanks for picking mine, smashing (april showers bring may flowers)!! I have the 320×480 with calendar. Who should I email that to?

José-Michel Neiva

May 1, 2013 6:22 pm

Thanks.

My favorite is : Octopus, The Master Of Disguise.

Thanks for choosing my calendar! The rest are fantastic!

Maria Boogert

May 1, 2013 8:00 pm

There is an exceptional wallpaper in the theme, The Arabian Stud, which I fail to see in the list here above – maybe you could let us know who created it? Thank you!

*the rest IS sorry OMG! I’m so excited that I don’t even know what I write! Thanks again!

My favorite is “Octopus, The Master Of Disguise”.
    But where have the “Arabian Stud” everybody is talking about gone?

Sarfaraz A. Hanfi

May 2, 2013 3:12 am

Really nice!!! thank you to all the designers who share great job.

Nice collections.. I can see.. There are lots of from Belgium :-)

Great work on the May Fiesta… Miss my hometown already with all these colorful festivals in summer… :)

I’m taking Daydream, just because…. and May around the world for the color… :-)

I really proud designed by Eloise Ha from Malaysia because Im designer from Malaysia too.
    Keep it out Eloise..

Thank you very much for all wallpaper.

As always a hard decision to make! So many beautiful themes. I choose ethnic snake for my laptop and may around the world for my desktop computer. Nice to see all the festive days around the world!

yay! thanks!!

Has anyone else noticed that the 1920×1200 of Old Vs New by Wannes De ROy is actually 1900×1080? Or is it just me doing something wrong?

I love all of these especially the mental health awareness- however, the calendar is a day off- was that on purpose?

As much as I’d like to say it was intentional (Great idea :P), it wasn’t.
      I have no idea how I let that slip, anyway, I’ve corrected and uploaded all the calendar versions, you can find them here: http://ge.tt/9qJCUkf/v/0?c .

Frankly speaking, I like none of them.

I love the series! Great job to: Puppet Show, Quote of the Day, and A Better Summer! Thanks Smashing Magazine, keep up the good work!

I like the Belgians :)

Please, someone knows the name of the font used in “Quote Of The Day” ???. It’s already in my desktop!!, Nice, very nice, Gabriel

Thanks :)

Thanks for showing my calendar. I like the others, it’s a nice collection.

Savanna May is very nice!

Umair Hafeez Mughal

May 6, 2013 4:47 pm

Savanna May and Old vs. New are nice along with all others :-)

Thanks all …

‘The Green Bear’ is damn nice!!!

Old vs. New and Mondriaan are my favorites.
    It will be a better May,
    day by day,
    because of you.

Thanx Wannes & Siemon

The “old vs new” is fantastic! Nicely done!

“The Green Bear”, without a shadow of a doubt !!

spaces in URIs are evil

Thanks , Green Bear, you blew up an archive of 2 years worth of desktops

I liked Winter is over, Raring Ringtail, Octopus: The Master Of Disguise, The Arabian Stud, May I Love You, Old vs. New, May Around the World.

I started with winter is over, the rest may showup at diff times during the month :)

Thanks as always.

I chose the Quote of the Day but there were many I loved! Great work and thank you all for sharing!

I went with Octopus, with Arabian Stud and Daydream two additional favorites, and I still may grab one or both later this month just for fun!

This month my favorite is : “April Showers Bring May Flowers” by Morgan Newnham
    Because of the pastels watercolors and the text. :)