Once again, it’s time to join in on a Smashing Magazine photography contest. You might remember or took part in our popular Coffee Mug Contest in 2011, which drew over 470 entries. This time, we are not interested in the vessel that holds your daily intake of caffeine, but rather in the object that fuels your creativity and inspiration.
Have a look around, choose the object that sparks your most creative thoughts and solutions, take a picture from an interesting perspective, and share it with us!
You may use any camera you like, whether a toy cam, mobile phone, SLR or point-and-shoot. Please keep in mind that the poster will consist of many photographs (the coffee mug poster accommodated 150 entries!). So, submit a picture that would also have significance among such a collection of entries.
- The photo must be in JPG format, at a maximum size of 4000 × 3000 pixels. The file size should not exceed 8 MB.
- Each participant may send only one photo.
- The photo should focus on a single item. Please do not send a picture of an entire wall or desk.
- Name your photo with your full name (for example,
- Create a file in TXT format including the title of your picture and a short description. Name it also with your full name (for example,
- Pack your plain image and your description file in an archive — please use only ZIP, RAR or 7-ZIP.
- If your email app cannot handle a large file, consider using a sharing service such as Dropbox or WeTransfer.
- You must own the copyright of the photo you submit.
- Submit your photo to the email address photos [at] smashingmagazine [dot] com by June 12th, 2013.
Here are some ideas to get you started:
(Image: Keoni Cabral )
(Image: Lawrence Rayner)
(Image: Ryan Aiyappa)
(Image: Alex G.)
(Image: Kathryn Rotondo)
What Can You Win?
The best entries and their photographers will be included in a huge poster created exclusively for this contest. The poster will be printed in a limited edition of 20 and will not be for sale. It will be awarded to 10 photographers of the most creative and original entries in the contest.
In additon, the best entries will also be rewarded with one of the four book gifts presented below, along with Cody, the one and only Smashing mascot. So… what are you waiting for?
Kern and Burn
“Conversations With Design Entrepreneurs” is a beautiful two-color book that features candid conversations with 30 leading designers who have founded startups, channeled personal passions into self-made careers and taken risks to do what they love.
The Shape Of Design
“The Shape of Design” is a meditation on the design process and the work’s potential effect when released.
One of the issues #1, #2, or #3 of “The Manual”, a thrice-yearly publication on Web design as a discipline, capturing the voices of our profession as they explore what we do and who we are as designers.
An extra to your book of choice: Cody!
Deadline & Announcement
Please submit your photo by June 12th at the latest. Qualifying submissions and the winners will be announced soon after. We will showcase the most interesting photos here on Smashing Magazine (and in the big poster, of course), including the names of the contributors.
Please note that your photo will be used only for this event, and you will retain the full rights to it.
Send your photo to firstname.lastname@example.org! We look forward to your shots, folks!
(al) (ea) (il)