Desktop Wallpaper Calendars: August 2013

We always try our best to challenge your artistic abilities and produce some interesting, beautiful and creative artwork. And as designers we usually turn to different sources of inspiration. As a matter of fact, we’ve discovered the best one—desktop wallpapers that are a little more distinctive than the usual crowd.

This creativity mission has been going on for over five years now, and we are very thankful to all the designers who have contributed and are still diligently contributing each month. This post features free desktop wallpapers created by artists across the globe for August 2013. Both versions with a calendar and without a calendar can be downloaded for free. It’s time to freshen up your wallpaper!

Please note that:

• All images can be clicked on and lead to the preview of the wallpaper,
  • You can feature your work in our magazine by taking part in our Desktop Wallpaper Calendar series. We are regularly looking for creative designers and artists to be featured on Smashing Magazine. Are you one of them?

Agosto Ketchup

“A calendar inspired by Heinz Ketchup. A big honor to Mr. Heinz, who made one of the famous ketchup brands in the world. This is for the ketchup lovers (including me!).” Designed by Pat Buenaobra from the Philippines.

Agosto ketchup

I Love Summer

“I love summer :)” Designed by Vector4free from Poland.

I love summer

Leo

“I’m always interested in learning more about the zodiac signs. July 23- August 23 is the time of the Lion, Leo. I based my wallpaper design around this and included the constellation of Leo as well. Enjoy!” Designed by Franny Van Eyck from Wisconsin, USA.

Leo

Poppy Herbarium

“Summer is taking off with some magical ice cream hot air balloons.” Designed by Sasha Endoh from Canada.

Poppy herbarium

Hanabi Festival

“From late July to early August, Japanese will celebrate summer with hanabi (fireworks) throughout Japan!” Designed by Evangeline Neo from Japan.

Hanabi Festival

World Alpinism Day

“International Day of Alpinism and Climbing.” Designed by cheloveche.ru from Russia.

World Alpinism Day

Johnny Depp

“Instead of using normal lines and shades to sketch the portrait, I’d first break it up into small triangles. Then I’ll (slowly and painstakingly) fill the triangles up with different shades of black using different shades of pencils, and viola, the portrait is done! Hope you guys like it!” Designed by Teo Yu Sheng from Singapore.

Johnny Depp

Handwritten August

“I love typograhy handwritten style.” Designed by Chalermkiat Oncharoen from Thailand.

Handwritten August

World Photography Day!

“In August we have the world photography day. So it is fair to make this homage to those that translates and makes us immortalize the most special moments of our lives.” Designed by ADD from Brazil.

World Photography Day!

The Balinese Flower

Designed by Nitesh Bhatia from India.

The Balinese Flower

Autumn Is Just Around the Corner

“August is the month that brings to mind the passage of summer season and the arrival of autumn. The entire landscape around us gets a new look, and each of us remains nostalgic due to the passage of summer.” Designed by Tattoo Temptation from United Kingdom.

Autumn is Just Around the Corner

Estonian Summer Sun

“This is a moment from Southern Estonia that shows amazing summer nights.” Designed by Erkki Pung / Sviiter from Estonia.

Estonian Summer Sun

Woof!

Designed by Laurent Constant from Belgium.

Woof!

Solidarity

“Black and white landscape/waterscape photo.” Designed by Jeremy Mullens from United States.

Solidarity

Summer Holidays

“A colorful wallpaper for the month of holidays! Have a great summer holiday!” Designed by Laboratorio Creativo from Romania.

Summer holidays

That Is Rain To Me!

Designed by Dhwani Gandhi from India.

That is rain to me!

The Great British Summer

“With Britain currently basking in a sub-tropical heatwave, sporting success and the birth of the Royal baby, we felt it appropriate to celebrate all the things we love about the Great British summer in the form of a wallpaper. Perfect for proud Britons and Britophiles alike!” Designed by Fluid Creativity from Manchester, United Kingdom.

The Great British Summer

Monsoon Sale!

“Hey monsoon is here! So grab your umbrella in this monsoon sale, and don’t miss the fun in the rain.” Designed by Debobrata Debnath from India.

Monsoon sale!

Flowing Creativity

Designed by Creacill, Carole Meyer from Luxembourg.

Flowing creativity

Off To The Beach We Go

“’Off to the beach we go’ is based on screenshots from my latest browser game (I’m an indie games designer).” Designed by Bart Bonte from Belgium.

off to the beach we go

Join In Next Month!

Please note that we respect and carefully consider the ideas and motivation behind each and every artist’s work. This is why we give all artists the full freedom to explore their creativity and express emotions and experience throughout their works. This is also why the themes of the wallpapers weren’t anyhow influenced by us, but rather designed from scratch by the artists themselves.

A big thank you to all the designers for their participation. Join in next month!

What’s Your Favorite?

What’s your favorite theme or wallpaper for this month? Please let us know in the comment section below.

The Smashing Team loves high-quality content and cares about little details. Through our online articles, books and eBooks and Smashing Conferences, we are committed to stimulating creativity and strengthening the Web design community’s creative forces.

Anamarija Jagusch

July 31, 2013 5:33 pm

Estonian Summer Sun, definitely

What a great selection. LOVE the “Balinese Flower” and “I Love Summer”. Well done. :)

Balinese Summer, Costa de los pintos, solidartiy and estonian summer!

Costa De Los Pinos is september calendar. But love it. I have it saved. :)

Indeed. I liked it too and then was surprised it was for September. Oh well, can hold on to it until next month!

That’s a good one…! thanks for posting.

Your “Costa de Los Pinos” is a September calendar…in the middle of August calendars.

“Costa De Los Pinos” is for the next month!

Loved Estonian Summer Sun! Solidarity in 2nd place.

Ketchup is the best one!

Thanks! I particularly like “Balinese Flower,” “Solidarity,” and “Woof!”

September 2013? :) – Costa De Los Pinos

Agosto Ketchup!

I Love Summer!

Estonian Summer Sun!

Nice work; Thanks all!

My faves: Leo (love astrology too!), Chevoleche is always good, and World Alpinism Day is cute!, Balinese Flower, Monsoon Sales, Flowing Creativity, and Off to the Beach.

I like “Woof” the best. I think it’s cool how the calendar is on the dog’s nose. They were all really cool, though! Good Job! :-)

Love Monsoon sales!! Really summer style~~

That is Rain to Me! Because here in Indonesia is rainy season, not summer :-) And I love those cups of warm beverages!
    Handwritten August and Johnny depp comes next! Great BW work.

Thank you for choosing my Hanabi Festival! :D
    I like the Balinese flower too!

“Monsoon Sale” is perfect, how wonderful the colour & design !

Thanks so much :)

THANK YOU SMASHING MAG FOR ACCEPTING MY LAAATE ENTRY! ;)
    next time, i’ll try to submit early.
    More power! :)

Chalermkiat Oncharoen

August 1, 2013 5:57 am

Thank you SM for choosing my work!!

Kelvin Castelino

August 1, 2013 6:06 am

Amazing Designs! Specially liked are,
    Summer Holidays Designed by Laboratorio Creativo
    Monsoon Sale! Designed by Debobrata Debnath
    That Is Rain To Me! Designed by Dhwani Gandhi
    Agosto Ketchup Designed by Pat Buenaobra

Super Kool :)

Thanks @Smasing Magazine for accepting my entry! :)

Thank you, that ketchup thing looks nice as my background.

The Balinese Flower! Simple and pace full! and Summer Holidays is cute! Maybe I’ll change during the month! Thank you!

老实说不太喜欢这期的壁纸。以前的都能挑出来,这回的不太符合我的口味。

Really like Solidarity… very moody! Your Costa De Los Pinos calendar is for September, that’s super efficient!

Estonian Summer Sun :)

My favourites are solidarity, flowing creativity and Johnny Depp. Have now choosen solidarity for my desktop. Thanks for all those great wallpapers!

Have the hardest time deciding… saved 4 so I can rotate them each week… great choice yet again so… Thanks heaps to all creators that share the calendars!!!!

My favourites are solidarity, flowing creativity and Johnny Depp. I’ve choosen solidarity now for my desktop. Thanks for all those great wallpapers! Only downer is that they are all snipped off because of wrong format. I would have needed 1920×1440 (yes, old monitors, I know …).

Such a poor collection this time :(

Even nothing to choose.

Awesome collection!!

Really appreciate the efforts you put in to make such a nice share…

I ended up going with Handwritten August for my work computer and Estonian Summer Sun for home. I’ll admit that at first glance I didn’t love this set as much as the past ones but after a second glance a few of them (Leo, That is rain to me, Handwritten August in particular) grew on me. Thanks to the artists for sharing and I look forward to seeing September!

Thanks Smashing Mag for accepting my Estonian Summer Sun.

Also many thanks to all warm thoughts what you guys shared in comments.

Some shots more: http://500px.com/erkkipung

Any chance I can score Agosto Ketchup in 1366 x 768?

Thanks a lot. I love “Autumn Is Just Around the Corner” wallpaper :D

Really awesome collection of calendar wallpapers. Looking forward to use this calendar wallpaper in my system. Thanks for sharing 

I’m using Off To The Beach We Go. Thanks Bart Bonte!

Wow! Lots of great selections this month, but “Handwritten August” is gorgeous!

I’ve picked “Handwritten August”. It has personality.

Bhagyesh Ghosalkar

August 1, 2013 6:19 pm

“That Is Rain To Me!” is the best of all…..!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome collection. Among all I loved flowing creativity !!

The Balinese Flower!

love the august calligraphy – thanks ;)

“Off to the Beach We Go” threw me off a bit. Because Saturday and Sunday weren’t marked, I thought the 1st was on a Tuesday!

I’m in the US, but I don’t know how Euro calendars differ. Do they start with Monday or Sunday?

Beautiful image, though!

Estonian Summer is absolutely awsomee :) my desktop wallpaper now!!!

Estonian Summer is by far my favorite. Thanks Again!

J’adore Agusto Ketchup ! En revanche Costa de Los Pinos est très rafraichissant par cette chaleur. Bravo aux artistes !

Rohini Chaudhury

August 2, 2013 11:28 am

As always, hats off to all the artists. I rather believe it would be unfair on my part to judge whose one is the best. However, there are some personal favorites of mine in this month’s collection.

Leo. Because I am one. And also because I love exploring zodiacs.

Johnny Depp. No reason, it’s just strikingly awesome.

Balinese Flower. Too beautiful for me to miss out!

That is rain to me. Definitely creativity at its best.

Flowing creativity. Just as the name describes.

And thank you Smashing Magazine for featuring these works.
    Looking forward to September collection!

I love the Leo calendar!

So many good ones this month! Hard to decide!

A small error (Cost de los pinos) doesn’t jeopardize the quality of the other jobs!!
    Good S.M.
    Dina.

Skye Media Group

August 2, 2013 7:21 pm

The Balinese Flower is awesome! The others a beautiful too.

All wallpapers are awesome!
    All designs inspired me a lot..thanx designers :)
    I love Dhwani Gandhi’s calender.

Awesome Creativity! Fantastic work.

My Favorites are, That is rain to me and Monsoon Sale!

Costa De Los Pinos is my Favorite for this month. Great Work !

I Love Summer. is good

Can “Balinese Flower” be offered in 1680 x 1050? Thanks!

All great THANKS

A great assortment of very creative wallpapers. The ketchup one really stands out for me. Very inspiring stuff.

Estonian Summer Sun is great!

I *love* the August with poppies wallpaper! The writing, the colours chosen – it’s perfect.

Monsoon Sale and Off to the Beach!

love the great british summer! =)

So many great choices this month! I just wanted to mention that I find “grid” type calendars so much more useful than the artistic “all the numbers in a line” type calendars.
    Couldn’t decide between Solidarity and Johnny Depp , but luckily the Depp calendar has a September grid as well, so I can use it for September (plus Johnny looks so scholarly for back to school!)

Love so many of these, but I needed me some Johnny Depp so I had to go with that.

Thanks for some great wallpaper, this month and every month!

Love the Solidarity wallpaper but the 2560×1440 files are only 1920×1200. Just a little to less pixels for my screen.

i like jhony depp