Smashing Magazine’s Publishing Policy
We would like to draw your attention to something that is probably obvious to most and that has been the foundation of Smashing Magazine for six years now.
The Smashing Magazine editorial team does not publish articles arbitrarily. We follow a strict set of rules and guidelines. Every article published on Smashing Magazine fulfills certain criteria: quality of content is important to us, and our job is to advocate for and protect the interests of our readers and the design community. Every article is reviewed by at least two independent experts before it gets published on Smashing Magazine. In order for the article to get published, it has to receive at least two positive reviews.
To be clear, Smashing Magazine is a professional and independent online publication that is neither controlled nor influenced by third parties; neither our advertisers nor our partners have any influence on our content or editing process. We continually revise and update these rules to make sure that the quality of our content is never compromised.
The rules listed below are crucial for all articles published here on Smashing Magazine. We work very hard to follow all of these rules as best we can; they explicitly guide our editing, writing and communication.
Publishing Policy & Rights
- Smashing Magazine (SM) does not publish any sponsored articles or paid content.
- SM does not publish press releases or any other public relations (PR) content.
- SM articles have no hidden advertisements. All advertisements are marked as such.
- SM does not participate in any kind of affiliate marketing. There is one exception: for our own products we are an Amazon Associate.
- SM does not influence the opinions of its writers or contributors and does not force them to tailor their work to fit our personal interests, objectives or opinions.
- SM always covers its own travel expenses and other fees related to research.
- SM never uses donated products as prizes for its contests and giveaways. SM purchases these products at its own cost. (Exceptions are giveaways on Twitter and Facebook.)
- Advertisers and sponsors have no influence on SM’s content.
- SM does not participate in any kind of partner-linking system.
- Links in SM articles are not for sale. SM never places links as favors to business partners or any third parties (except the”about-us”-page).
- SM respects the rights of authors, designers, photographers and developers. SM would never publish links to illegal sources that reproduce the work of others or that violate author rights if we are able to detect illegal sources or copyright infringement through a reasonable effort by double-checking material to be published.
- All editors, regular writers and guest authors of SM get paid for their work.
- SM is happy to receive constructive criticism and suggestions from readers and friends; but it would never perform favors in return for them. SM’s recommendations are based on the expertise of its authors and are made in the best interests of its readers and the Web design community.
- Articles published on Smashing Magazine may be published in a Smashing eBook as a part of the Smashing Library as well — but with author’s consent, of course. Authors are credited in all eBooks and in all translations of articles published Smashing Magazine; they’re an integral part of the articles. Also, authors always receive a free copy of the eBook(s) in which their articles are republished or translated.
(vf), (il) Version 1.6 — May 2013
The illustrations above have been created and designed by Ricardo Gimenes.
Leave a Comment
Yay! You've decided to leave a comment. That's fantastic! Please keep in mind that comments are moderated and
rel="nofollow" is in use. So, please do not use a spammy keyword or a domain as your name, or it will be deleted. Let's have a personal and meaningful conversation instead. Thanks for dropping by!