The Smashing Book | HTML Edition
- September 26th, 2011
- 3 Comments
Table of Contents
- User Interface Design in Modern Web Applications3
- The Art and Science of CSS-Layouts4 ( Part 15, Part 26 )
- Typography: Rules, Guidelines and Common Mistakes7 ( Part 18, Part 29, Part 310, Part 411 )
- Usability Principles for Modern Websites12
- The Ultimate Guide to Fantastic Color Usage13 ( Part 114, Part 215, Part 316 )
- Performance Optimization for Websites17 ( Part 118, Part 219 )
- Design to Sell – Increasing Conversion Rates20 ( Part 121, Part 222 )
- How to Turn a Site into a Remarkable Brand23
- Learning from Experts: Interviews and Insights24 ( Part 125, Part 226, Part 327, Part 428 )
- Behind the Curtains: The Smashing Magazine Story29
Published 2011 by Smashing Media GmbH, Freiburg, Germany.
This book, which originally appeared as printed version in 2010, was written by Alessandro Cattaneo, Andrew Maier, Chris Spooner, Darius A Monsef, David Leggett, Dmitry Fadeyev, Jacob Gube, Kayla Knight, Rene Schmidt, Steven Snell and Jon Tan.
Book cover design: Brian Nelson. The “Rainbow Cat”: Min Tran. Illustrations: Dmitry Tsozik, Anna Myagkova, Anton Zykin. Proofreading: Andrew Lobo. Layout: Sernas Zurzolo. Sales Concept, editing and idea: Sven Lennartz, Vitaly Friedman and the readers of Smashing Magazine; digitally remastered by Manuela Müller.
Founded in September 2006, Smashing Magazine delivers useful and innovative information to Web designers and developers. Smashing Magazine is a well-respected international online publication for professional Web designers and developers. Our main goal is to support the Web design community with useful and valuable articles and resources, written and created by experienced designers and developers.
Version: March 29, 2011
One can make simple things difficult, and writing a book the normal way just wasn’t a challenge enough for us. The list of contributors that you can find in the imprint testifies to that. We wanted to engage as many people as possible: writers, designers, illustrators, editors. In fact, internally, we called this little project “The Community Book”.
Nevertheless, the book was written not by our readers but by a professional team of authors. And throughout the whole process (from brainstorming to writing to putting the final touches on the layout) we included our audience in our plans: we queried people in the Smashing Forum, collected suggestions and listened to your opinions. Of course, all of this ado in advance was meant to stimulate your appetite, too. The result is what now sits in your hands, Smashing Magazine’s first book. We hope we did at least some things in it right.
The original printed book contains no lists of links or aggregated content. It has 10 carefully prepared, written and edited stories that are based upon topic suggestions and wishes of Smashing Magazine’s readers.
We consider these topics, i.e. the printed book’s content as fundamental. That’s why we’ve decided to offer it as a Smashing eBook as well, because it’s still valuable and highly practical content. Have fun and a truly smashing experience with the Smashing eBook, folks!
Sven Lennartz and Vitaly Friedman
- 1 https://shop.smashingmagazine.com/smashing-book.html
- 2 https://shop.smashingmagazine.com/smashing-book.html
- 3 http://www.smashingmagazine.com/smashing-book-1/user-interface-design-in-modern-web-applications/
- 4 http://www.smashingmagazine.com/smashing-book-1/the-art-and-science-of-css-layouts/
- 5 http://www.smashingmagazine.com/smashing-book-1/the-art-and-science-of-css-layouts/
- 6 http://www.smashingmagazine.com/smashing-book-1/the-art-and-science-of-css-layouts-part-2-of-2/
- 7 http://www.smashingmagazine.com/smashing-book-1/typography-rules-guidelines-and-common-mistakes/
- 8 http://www.smashingmagazine.com/smashing-book-1/typography-rules-guidelines-and-common-mistakes/
- 9 http://www.smashingmagazine.com/smashing-book-1/typography-rules-guidelines-and-common-mistakes-part-2-of-4/
- 10 http://www.smashingmagazine.com/smashing-book-1/typography-rules-guidelines-and-common-mistakes-part-3-of-4/
- 11 http://www.smashingmagazine.com/smashing-book-1/typography-rules-guidelines-and-common-mistakes-part-4-of-4/
- 12 http://www.smashingmagazine.com/smashing-book-1/usability-principles-for-modern-websites/
- 13 http://www.smashingmagazine.com/smashing-book-1/the-ultimate-guide-to-fantastic-color-usage/
- 14 http://www.smashingmagazine.com/smashing-book-1/the-ultimate-guide-to-fantastic-color-usage/
- 15 http://www.smashingmagazine.com/smashing-book-1/the-ultimate-guide-to-fantastic-color-usage-part-2/
- 16 http://www.smashingmagazine.com/smashing-book-1/the-ultimate-guide-to-fantastic-color-usage-part-3/
- 17 http://www.smashingmagazine.com/smashing-book-1/performance-optimization-for-websites/
- 18 http://www.smashingmagazine.com/smashing-book-1/performance-optimization-for-websites/
- 19 http://www.smashingmagazine.com/smashing-book-1/performance-optimization-for-websites-part-2-of-2/
- 20 http://www.smashingmagazine.com/smashing-book-1/design-to-sell-increasing-conversion-rates/
- 21 http://www.smashingmagazine.com/smashing-book-1/design-to-sell-increasing-conversion-rates/
- 22 http://www.smashingmagazine.com/smashing-book-1/design-to-sell-increasing-conversion-rates-part-2-of-2/
- 23 http://www.smashingmagazine.com/smashing-book-1/how-to-turn-a-site-into-a-remarkable-brand/
- 24 http://www.smashingmagazine.com/smashing-book-1/learning-from-experts-interviews-and-insights/
- 25 http://www.smashingmagazine.com/smashing-book-1/learning-from-experts-interviews-and-insights/
- 26 http://www.smashingmagazine.com/smashing-book-1/learning-from-experts-interviews-and-insights-part-2-of-4/
- 27 http://www.smashingmagazine.com/smashing-book-1/learning-from-experts-interviews-and-insights-part-3-of-4/
- 28 http://www.smashingmagazine.com/smashing-book-1/learning-from-experts-interviews-and-insights-part-4-of-4/
- 29 http://www.smashingmagazine.com/smashing-book-1/behind-the-curtains-the-smashing-magazine-story/