Smashing Daily #38: Heatmaps, Animations, Images
- July 5th, 2012
- 0 Comments
Here’s a very interesting study which investigates the use of the various items in the Firefox desktop interface. This study could easily result in a better, more intelligent interface (if the right conclusions are drawn).
Here’s a very interesting essay about the design principles behind the work of the W3C, which means the design principles behind languages like CSS and HTML. It’s long, but good to know.
JavaScrip (and front-end development as a whole) has changed a lot over the past few years, which means that our workflow should have changed too. Paul Irish shows us some tricks to improve this workflow.
Here’s a simple article that explains the basics of CSS animations. If you never used them this might be a good starting point, but be sure to read more about them (there’s much more to know).
Depending on how you look at things you can just simply (or complicatedly) set up your CSS using the mobile-first approach, or you can complicate things/make things easier by doing the same thing with SASS. Jake Archibald explains.
Here’s a nice trick by Stoyan Stefanov in which you use the response of an image to check a few things. Very clever!
Here’s a nice interactive diagram, made by Tab Atkins Jr. with all the CSS-color keywords. Now go ahead and find the colors papayawhip and olivedrab.
Paul Irish believes there are not enough articles about accessibility for developers, about how this works and how to implement things like ARIA. So he makes a call for action. Are there any experts on this field? Read this, your knowledge is needed.
What would happen if the internet goes off? Do you have a physical backup of all the important parts you need? Probably not. Luckily for us there is this book that Ben West and Felix Heyes made which contains the first Google image for all 21,000 words in the dictionary.
- 1 https://blog.mozilla.org/ux/2012/06/firefox-heatmap-study-2012-results-are-in/
- 2 https://blog.mozilla.org/ux/2012/06/firefox-heatmap-study-2012-results-are-in/
- 3 http://www.w3.org/People/Bos/DesignGuide/toc.html
- 4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7AU2Ozu8eo
- 5 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7AU2Ozu8eo
- 6 http://12412.org/2012/06/an-introduction-to-css3-animations/
- 7 http://jakearchibald.github.com/sass-ie/
- 8 http://www.phpied.com/ajax-with-images/
- 9 http://www.xanthir.com/blog/b4JC0
- 10 http://www.xanthir.com/blog/b4JC0
- 11 http://paulirish.com/2012/accessibility-and-developers/
- 12 http://felixheyes.com/3441153
- 13 http://felixheyes.com/3441153
- 14 www.smashingmagazine.com/the-smashing-daily-archive/
- 15 www.smashingmagazine.com/the-smashing-daily-archive/