Smashing Daily #40: Cookies, Website Deaths, Monotype
- July 9th, 2012
- 1 Comment
Here’s a presentation by David DeSandro about the cost of open source and what it means to run a successful open source project. Some very interesting thoughts in there.
The command line is great for specialized tasks, for automation, or for impressing your colleagues with your l33t skillz. It’s also quiet useful for quick data analysis, as Adrian Short explains in this article. A great read for all nerds.
Aaron Gustafson explains how you can build a smart mobile navigation for your responsive or mobile website. Great tutorial!
Here’s an incredible, sad overview of services that have been shut down over the years; things like Gowalla, Geocities, Etherpad, and many, many more.
Lennart Schoors writes about this rather obscure CSS property called
box-decoration-break which is great for printing pages. Browser support seems to be increasing.
Here’s a great story by Keith Houston revealing a study about how the hyphenation practices towards the end of the Victorian era led to discovering an old Monotype caster in someone’s backyard.
- 1 http://desandro.github.com/open-source-aint-free/
- 2 http://alt.adrianshort.co.uk/blog/2012/03/09/twitter-data-analysis-with-the-unix-command-line/
- 3 http://alt.adrianshort.co.uk/blog/2012/03/09/twitter-data-analysis-with-the-unix-command-line/
- 4 https://github.com/ScottHamper/Cookies
- 5 http://mths.be/cookie
- 8 http://www.netmagazine.com/tutorials/build-smart-mobile-navigation-without-hacks
- 9 http://indiewebcamp.com/site-deaths
- 10 http://bricss.net/post/24672339016/box-decoration-break-finally-coming-to-more-browsers
- 11 http://bricss.net/post/24672339016/box-decoration-break-finally-coming-to-more-browsers
- 12 http://theletter.co.uk/index/6423/link+dump
- 13 http://www.shadycharacters.co.uk/2012/06/shiny-characters/
- 14 http://www.shadycharacters.co.uk/2012/06/shiny-characters/
- 15 www.smashingmagazine.com/the-smashing-daily-archive/
- 16 www.smashingmagazine.com/the-smashing-daily-archive/