Smashing Daily #43: Transparency, Grids, Colors
Privacy is an important part of the Web, and we have some good links about that today in The Smashing Daily. We have good stuff about CSS, about grids, the Web audio API, about color names, we have a link to the only good QR code generator, and much more. Enjoy!
The grids we’ve been using on the Web are simple if you compare them to some grids used in classic magazines. If it’s up to Mark Boulton, this is about to change. He shows us how you can create compound grids with Gridset2, the app he and his team have been developing.
It’s good to know that the services you use are required to hand over data to governments and copyright owners if they ask for it. Google decided to create a so called transparency report with some very interesting graphs5 and maps6.
Here’s an excellent article that will get you started with the Web Audio API. It’s filled with clear examples and nice illustrations.
Here are some thoughts about starting with a responsive website by Chris Coyier. There are some good points in there, though most likely not all of them will apply to all projects.
The current color keyword names are horrible, says Tab Atkins Jr. He wants to start using the CNS naming scheme, which is much better—but he doesn’t know how to map these color names back to RGB. Maybe you do?
How many CSS files should be loaded onto any website? Chris Coyier thinks it should be one, two or three—but not more.
Not all browsers agree with the IE10 team about the idea that the Do Not Track header should be on by default. Eva Galperin took some time to explain how you can enable it in most desktop browsers.
Here’s a great presentation about (new) development tools by Majd Taby. All nerds should click through it, you’ll probably learn a thing or two.
Whenever a marketer tells you to generate a QR code for a specific URL, point them to this extremely useful website where they can do it themselves.
- 1 http://www.markboulton.co.uk/journal/comments/gridset-and-compound-grids
- 2 http://www.gridsetapp.com/
- 3 http://www.markboulton.co.uk/journal/comments/gridset-and-compound-grids
- 4 https://www.google.com/transparencyreport/
- 5 https://www.google.com/transparencyreport/removals/copyright/
- 6 https://www.google.com/transparencyreport/map/
- 7 http://creativejs.com/resources/web-audio-api-getting-started/
- 8 http://creativejs.com/resources/web-audio-api-getting-started/
- 9 http://css-tricks.com/notes-agency-starting-their-first-responsive-web-project/
- 10 http://www.xanthir.com/blog/b4JS1
- 11 http://css-tricks.com/one-two-three/
- 12 http://css-tricks.com/one-two-three/
- 13 https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/06/how-turn-do-not-track-your-browser
- 14 http://www.slideshare.net/jtaby/tools-and-techniques-for-faster-development
- 15 http://qrafti.com/
- 16 http://qrafti.com/
- 17 www.smashingmagazine.com/the-smashing-daily-archive/
- 18 www.smashingmagazine.com/the-smashing-daily-archive/