Family photos, vacation snapshots or creative artistic works: whatever images you have to present, you can present them in a variety of ways. On a big screen, in slide shows or in a thumbnails gallery. However, to convey the message of presented data effectively, it’s important to offer it in an attractive and intuitive way. Furthermore, the presentation itself can make images more valuable and simplify the browsing through hundreds of slides. [Content Care Oct/14/2016]
There are literally hundreds of solutions for web-based galleries1 out there. We’ve selected 30 scripts of impressive slideshows, lightboxes and galleries you can use for effective presentations of your images. Most of them don’t have any technical requirements, so you can use them right away. Let’s take a look.
Ajax Image Galleries & Lightboxes Link
Zenphoto is an answer to lots of calls for an online gallery solution that just makes sense. After years of bloated software that does everything and your dishes, zenphoto just shows your photos, simply. It’s got all the functionality and “features” you need, and nothing you don’t. Where the old guys put in a bunch of modules and junk, we put a lot of thought. We hope you agree with our philosopy: simpler is better.
- Couloir: Resizing, Fading Slideshow Demo – AJAX Slideshow6
- Multifaceted Lightbox7
- Slimbox, the ultimate lightweight Lightbox clone11
Slimbox is a 7kb visual clone of the popular Lightbox JS v2.0 by Lokesh Dhakar, written using the ultra compact mootools12 framework. It was designed to be small, efficient, more convenient and 100% compatible with the original Lightbox v2.
CSS-Based Image Galleries Link
- A Photograph Gallery13
Just a simple :hover over thumbnail images to give a full size view of each photograph. With all but Opera you can also click the thumbnails to retain the image on the screen. Text can be added at the bottom of each picture. Ideal for photograph albums.
- A simple CSS photo-album15
The text numbers and images are held in an unordered list without any extra markup (no ’ems’ or ‘spans’ etc). The CSS just styles the text numbers so that they appears in a box and the images so that they are hidden until your visitor clicks a number square.
- Cross Browser Multi-Page Photograph Gallery16
Based on Suckerfish HoverLightbox this one uses my multi-page layout system but includes images instead of text. Unlike the Suckerfish HoverLightbox this version is pure CSS.
- CSS Image Gallery18
This is a purely CSS based image gallery that displays larger versions of thumbnail images dynamically when the mouse hovers over them. A rich HTML caption can be added to the enlarged image, and every aspect of the Image Gallery exists as plain HTML on the page. The idea is to use CSS’s “:hover” pseudo class to cause an element to react onMouseover. When that happens, an absolutely positioned container holding the enlarged image, anchored on the page by another container with position set to relative, is shown. Furthermore, it’s possible to modify the behavior so the enlarged images are only shown onClick, though IE6 currently doesn’t support this behavior well. The gallery works in IE6+, Firefox, Opera 8+.
- CSS: Photo Showcase20
This experiment uses CSS and basic markup to create a simple way to display photo thumbnails on your site while offering convenient fast zoom viewing, even for dialup users.
- Hoverbox Image Gallery22
Basically, it’s a super light-weight (8kb) roll-over photo gallery that uses nothing but CSS.
- Photo scroll gallery24
A combination of several of my previous galleries to give a scrolling ‘thumbnail’ image, a medium size image on hover and a full size image on click. The thumbnail, medium size and full size images are all the same image just resized using CSS. The thumbnails are square to make the scrolling area simpler to work with. This does make these images a little distorted but not so much that they look wrong.
- Sliding Photograph Galleries26
It is just an unordered list of images that are normally compressed vertically (reduction 8:1). When you hover over one of these compressed images it expands to full size. It is based on my sliding menu system and adapted to use images. No thumbnails are required and all the images are ‘pre-loaded’.This method can be used either vertically, as shown, or horizontally.
imagegal is a simple PHP script that will automagically create a JS/CSS/DHTML powered image gallery for you when dropped into a directory containing images. This simple script was inspired by a Jeremy Keith’s article on aListApart.com.
- Highslide JS31
- 1 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2016/07/ten-requirements-for-making-home-page-carousels-work-for-end-users/
- 2 http://fennecfoxen.org/pyxy/gallery
- 3 http://fennecfoxen.org/pyxy/gallery
- 4 http://www.zenphoto.org/
- 5 http://www.zenphoto.org/
- 6 http://www.couloir.org/js_slideshow/
- 7 http://www.gregphoto.net/lightbox/
- 8 http://www.gregphoto.net/lightbox/
- 9 http://slideshow.triptracker.net/
- 10 http://slideshow.triptracker.net/
- 11 http://www.digitalia.be/software/slimbox
- 12 http://www.mootools.net/
- 13 http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menu/gallery.html
- 14 http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menu/gallery.html
- 15 http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menu/photo_album.html#nogo
- 16 http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menu/lightbox.html#flower8
- 17 http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menu/lightbox.html#flower8
- 18 http://www.dynamicdrive.com/style/csslibrary/item/css-image-gallery/
- 19 http://www.dynamicdrive.com/style/csslibrary/item/css-image-gallery/
- 20 http://mikecherim.com/experiments/css_photo_showcase.php
- 21 http://mikecherim.com/experiments/css_photo_showcase.php
- 22 http://sonspring.com/journal/hoverbox-image-gallery
- 23 http://sonspring.com/journal/hoverbox-image-gallery
- 24 http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menu/photo_scroll.html#nogo
- 25 http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menu/photo_scroll.html#nogo
- 26 http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menu/gallery3l.html
- 27 http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menu/gallery3l.html
- 28 http://cross-browser.com/toys/img_gallery_2.php
- 29 http://cross-browser.com/toys/img_gallery_2.php
- 30 http://dasme.org/imagegal/
- 31 http://vikjavev.no/highslide/
- 32 http://vikjavev.no/highslide/