Sometimes web design is just about beautiful typography. Used with a profound understanding of white space, basic typographic principles and usability heuristics, it can sufficiently highlight the main sections of the site and its key elements. Font size of headers, body copy and navigation is important. Leading is important. Line length is important. And the visibility of links is important. Basically, that’s it1 – really, you don’t need more2.
There are literally thousands of professional typefaces you can use, you might use dozens of them3; however there is also a plenty of high-quality freefonts4 which can serve as reasonable and feasible alternatives and fulfill your requirements just as well. We collect all of them regularly, so you don’t have to.
Over the last month we’ve found six high-quality free fonts you can use for both private and commercial projects. Please check out the license agreements before using these typefaces – disclaimers can change from time to time.
Freefonts of the Month Link
- 1 http://www.informationarchitects.jp/the-web-is-all-about-typography-period
- 2 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2007/03/26/keep-it-simple-stupid-showcase-of-simple-and-clean-designs/
- 3 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2007/08/08/80-beautiful-fonts-typefaces-for-professional-design/
- 4 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/category/fonts/
- 5 http://www.fontshop.com/freefonts/
- 6 http://www.fontshop.com/freefonts/
- 7 http://quersicht.ch
- 8 http://www.dersven.de
- 9 http://quersicht.ch
- 10 http://pedroreina.net/apostrophiclab/0158-Scriptina/scriptina.html
- 11 http://pedroreina.net/apostrophiclab/0158-Scriptina/scriptina.html
- 12 http://www.josbuivenga.demon.nl/anivers.html
- 13 http://www.josbuivenga.demon.nl/anivers.html
- 14 http://www.josbuivenga.demon.nl/anivers.html
- 15 http://www.dafont.com/font.php?file=qlassik&page=1&nb_ppp_old=10&text=Qlassik&a=on&e=on&nb_ppp=10&psize=m&classt=alpha
- 16 http://www.dafont.com/font.php?file=qlassik&page=1&nb_ppp_old=10&text=Qlassik&a=on&e=on&nb_ppp=10&psize=m&classt=alpha
Hold on tiger! Thank you for reading the article. Did you know that we also publish printed books and run friendly conferences – crafted for pros like you? Like SmashingConf Oxford, on March 15—16, with smart design patterns and front-end techniques.