Graphics doesn’t need to be static or fixed: it can float, jump, fly, dance around and transform in different forms. Once you set visual elements in motion, you can achieve stunning results which would be far too difficult to achieve otherwise. And in fact, there are a number of stunning examples of how this can be done.
The so-called motion graphics is often used in ad spots, music videos and movies. However, sometimes it can also be used for data visualization or live installations (e.g. on buildings). In all these cases designers have a huge space to explore their creativity.
In this post we present some excellent examples of videos in which graphics are set in motion. In most videos graphics dominates, but it can also support the content.
You might want to take a closer look
- at the category Monday Inspiration where we’ve covered some graphic motion works over the last months,
- and particularly at the article Typography in Motion1 which describes what effects can be achieved once the letters are set in motion.
Graphics In Motion Link
Well, that’s pretty colorful. You don’t have to be shrooming to experience mind bending psychedelicalness. See what the world looks like through the perspective of a day dreaming foot. Interesting concept, excellent execution.
Sonaka Delivery Link
That’s what can come out of a simple water drop. Stunning.
The War Link
“Design-infused storytelling. We wanted to portray the struggles between conformity and individuality; the games we play in our own minds; being a pawn in society. The artistry ultimately stems from taking two contrary things and making a third something from their collision.”
The Hours Link
Unique, beautiful and yet so simple. A story of two birds in this advertising spot for Motley Bird.
We Work For Them Installation Link
A graphic motion piece prepared for the We Work For Them promo.
Underground Spot Link
An advertisement of a metro. Take beneath the surface.
The “Attractive Prices” spot for British Airways. Very gentle, soft play of colors. Two 30-second spots.
Siemens Blocks Link
Thousands of smallest blocks come up together to build the entire world. An ad spot for Siemens, by MassMarket studio.
Independently moving screens comprise to make one large canvas in the plaza — a commons that is the gathering place for all ages. Reflecting its context the pieces are about imagination as portrayed by art and music, core experiences that connect us all.
Samaritans: Vectorscope Link
The transformation effects are quite impressive. Great attention to detail.
A compact graphic motion reference on lantern fishes. Do you know how Ipnops Murrayi in Gulf of Mexico looks like? By Adam Gault.
Zune Arts — Masks Link
One of the numerous Zune graphic motion movies, directed and produced by Pandapanther.
Guiness Dot Link
Smirnoff Commercial Link
Excellent use of 3D in this 60-second advertising spot for Smirnoff.
A simple and beautiful ad spot for Audi. Simple lines can sometimes suffice. By BBH.
Probably one of the most colorful music visualizations ever created.
Sources and Resources Link
- 1 /2007/11/19/monday-inspiration-typography-in-motion/
- 2 http://threeleggedlegs.com/repertoire/havaianas/
- 3 http://threeleggedlegs.com/repertoire/havaianas/
- 4 http://motionographer.com/2007/06/19/jonas-odell-the-hours/
- 5 http://www.natl.tv/
- 6 http://www.natl.tv/
- 7 http://superfad.com/player.php?project=25&item=68
- 8 http://superfad.com/player.php?project=25&item=68
- 9 http://motionographer.com/2008/01/11/guinness-dot/
- 10 http://www.beam.tv/beamreels/reel_player.php?jqbvsptxVy&resize=1
- 11 http://www.beam.tv/beamreels/reel_player.php?jqbvsptxVy&resize=1
- 12 http://mograph.net/board/index.php?s=03fa4e25236eb34c205ba0605b701d2e&showtopic=14279
Hold on, Tiger! Thank you for reading the article. Did you know that we also publish printed books and run friendly conferences – crafted for pros like you? Like SmashingConf Barcelona, on October 25–26, with smart design patterns and front-end techniques.