In many blogs header graphics often takes a prominent position as bloggers try to impress visitors with distinctive and appealing visual elements. In fact, designed properly, header graphics can create an appropriate atmosphere and convey the style the designer has chosen. Well-designed themes can be as useful as templates, particularly if you can download them and experiment with them as you wish. However, you won’t find that many sources on the Web. That’s time to change it.
We’d like to create a small smashing gallery of blog header graphics which every designer could use for free and without any restrictions whatsoever. To achieve this we need the help of our creative visitors. To achieve this we need your help. Which is why we announce a Header Graphics Contest.
Update (02.02.2008): please notice that this contest is not about designing a header for the Smashing Magazine web-site. Your header graphics don’t have to be related to Smashing Magazine at all. This is about sharing your skills with fellows designers and creating a free repository of downloadable header graphics.
What is required? Link
In order to participate, your design should
- contain up to 5 different graphics
- have the resolution of 850×200 px
- have the max. size of 60 Kb
- be in the format PNG, JPG, GIF (if possible, please provide us with the source file as well — such as PSD, EPS, AI etc.)
- be your own work — you must own the copyright for the designs you submit.
Send your designs via e-mail at editor at smashingmagazine.com with the subject line [Header Contest Entry] YourThemeTitle, where YourThemeTitle is the title of your theme. Please mention your name, your URL and the country you come from.
If possible, please also provide us with the brief description of the theme and ideas which have been the driving force behind your design. Be creative, use unusual techniques, explore your skills, do whatever it takes — we’d like you to get really excited about it.
We’ll consider all designs we’ll receive until the 1st of March 2008. The best entries will be published briefly after the contest has ended.
Is there a reward? Link
Yes. First of all we’ll mention your name and your URL in the article which will contain the smashing examples of contest entries. Besides, we’ll randomly award as many participants as possible with tools, services and prizes from our sponsors. (Updated)
Let’s take a look at some excellent examples of how visually appealing header graphics might look like. The images are clickable and lead to the sites from which they’ve been taken.
Useful Resources Link
Besides, here are some useful resources which might help you to design smashing header graphics.
Get creative, folks!
- 1 http://www.webdesignerwall.com
- 2 http://www.jasonjulien.com
- 3 http://www.sachagreif.com
- 4 http://www.ndesign-studio.com/
- 5 http://www.algarvebuzz.com/
- 6 http://blueflavor.com/
- 7 http://tatteredfly.com/
- 8 http://www.refreshingcontent.com/
- 9 http://blog.mattbrownart.com/
- 10 http://paulenderson.com/
- 11 http://www.freewebpageheaders.com/gallery/
- 12 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/03/05/blog-headers-for-free-download/
Hold on, Tiger! Thank you for reading the article. Did you know that we also publish printed books and run friendly conferences – crafted for pros like you? Like SmashingConf New York, on June 14–15, with smart design patterns and front-end techniques.