Book covers are hard to design and nice to look at. An effective book cover manages to catch human’s eye and convey the idea behind the book on one single page. However, it’s getting even harder: to make a book really hard to forget, designers need to design the cover in a unique, creative and striking way. That’s not that different from Web where it’s important to build a sound information architecture upon a rather restricted design layout. [Content Care Oct/21/2016]
The main idea of this post is to provide you with some creative, expressive and appealing book covers. You won’t like all of them, but you’ll definitely find some designs which are worth pondering upon.
You may be interested in the following posts we’ve published earlier:
- Breathtaking Typographic Posters1 with over 50 breathtaking typographic posters designed by artists across the globe. We feature Oriental, Iranian, Hebrew, Japanese, Chinese and Russian typographic posters as well as a number of further references.
- Award-Winning Newspaper Designs2 with examples of outstanding newspaper designs collected from dozens of countries.
Please keep in mind: there are thousands of excellent book covers; we’ve selected only few ones which are excellent in our humble opinion. Although this selection is definitely subjective, we’ve tried to do our best to find interesting designs which make the book cover hard to forget. If you have further suggestions please comment on this post. All covers posted are the copyright of their respective holders.
Book Covers Link
A Clockwork Orange
Meet Alex. Simple, but so memorable. Designed by David Pelham.
Brave New World
Designed by Gregg Kulick.
Jordan Crane’s Book Covers
Crane’s illustrations are beautiful and memorable. That’s what makes a good book cover.
A Soviet book cover from 1930.
John Gall’s Book Covers
Gall’s covers always take a look at the book content from a quite unusual perspective. Masterpieces.
The book cover is attractive and conveys the idea of the book.
ВЧЕРА И СЕГОДНЯ (1935)
Exile and the Kingdom
Eye-catching. Designed by Helen Yentus.
House of Meetings
Designer: Peter Mendelsund.
Grabink Book Covers Decoration
Book bindings by gner-artists Chris Enock and David Enock.
Worst Years Of Your Life
Expo 58, book cover
Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close
Last Days Of Publishing
Small Crimes in an Age of Abundance
The Disappearing Liberal Intellectual
Nikelleo Rellana’s work
House of Leaves Book Cover
Designed by Joe Paul.
Kidney For Sale By Owner
Designed by David Drummond.
Ace of Spades: A Memoir
Sources and Resources Link
- Book Covers Club: Flickr Pool76
- Soviet Book Covers77 on NYPL Digital Gallery.
- Penguin Book Covers7820
- Seen Books79
- The Old-Timey Paperback Book Cover Pool80
- The Book Design Review81
- Pelican Project82
- Czech Book Covers of the 1920’s and 1930’s83
- 1 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/02/25/breathtaking-typographic-posters/
- 2 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/02/11/award-winning-newspaper-designs/
- 3 http://flickr.com/photos/loopzilla/2404438689/in/pool-bookcovers
- 4 http://flickr.com/photos/loopzilla/2404438689/in/pool-bookcovers
- 5 http://flickr.com/photos/elliotedizioni/1366535740/in/set-72157600172523547/
- 6 http://flickr.com/photos/elliotedizioni/1366535740/in/set-72157600172523547/
- 7 http://seenbooks.blogspot.com/2006/12/disorders-of-memory-and-learning_08.html
- 8 http://seenbooks.blogspot.com/2006/12/disorders-of-memory-and-learning_08.html
- 9 http://www.flickr.com/groups/paul_rand_design/pool/
- 10 http://www.flickr.com/groups/paul_rand_design/pool/
- 11 http://www.flickr.com/groups/paul_rand_design/pool/
- 12 http://seenbooks.blogspot.com/2007/03/end-of-inequality.html
- 13 http://seenbooks.blogspot.com/2007/03/end-of-inequality.html
- 14 http://ffffound.com/image/ed4e2266c9155289e96af43e2c4c9cfb3e848524
- 15 http://ffffound.com/image/ed4e2266c9155289e96af43e2c4c9cfb3e848524
- 16 http://flickr.com/photos/undercover_surrealist/1119363007/
- 17 http://flickr.com/photos/undercover_surrealist/1119363007/
- 18 http://flickr.com/photos/narisa/135244337/
- 19 http://flickr.com/photos/narisa/135244337/
- 20 http://www.flickr.com/photos/joekral/sets/72157594264351021/
- 21 http://www.flickr.com/photos/joekral/sets/72157594264351021/
- 22 http://www.behance.net/Gallery/St_-Cyborgs/46046
- 23 http://www.behance.net/Gallery/St_-Cyborgs/46046
- 24 http://www.flickr.com/photos/joekral/271647856/in/set-72157594264351021/
- 25 http://www.flickr.com/photos/joekral/271647856/in/set-72157594264351021/
- 26 http://flickr.com/photos/jaartepr/2042456286/in/pool-loveyourcovers
- 27 http://flickr.com/photos/jaartepr/2042456286/in/pool-loveyourcovers
- 28 http://www.flickr.com/photos/joekral/312724229/in/set-72157594264845751/
- 29 http://www.flickr.com/photos/joekral/312724229/in/set-72157594264845751/
- 30 http://www.flickr.com/photos/joekral/496975304/in/set-72157594264845751/
- 31 http://www.flickr.com/photos/joekral/496975304/in/set-72157594264845751/
- 32 http://thingsmagazine.net/projects/1960s/pel04h.htm
- 33 http://thingsmagazine.net/projects/1960s/pel04h.htm
- 34 http://thingsmagazine.net/projects/1970s/pel00o.htm
- 35 http://thingsmagazine.net/projects/1970s/pel00o.htm
- 36 http://www.flickr.com/photos/21631299@N07/2097269432/in/pool-goodlookingbooks
- 37 http://www.flickr.com/photos/21631299@N07/2097269432/in/pool-goodlookingbooks
- 38 http://thingsmagazine.net/projects/1980s/pel02b.htm
- 39 http://thingsmagazine.net/projects/1980s/pel02b.htm
- 40 http://www.alvinlustig.org/bp_nd/bp_nd.asp
- 41 http://www.alvinlustig.org/bp_nd/bp_nd.asp
- 42 http://www.flickr.com/photos/joekral/231753150/in/set-72157594264845751/
- 43 http://www.flickr.com/photos/joekral/231753150/in/set-72157594264845751/
- 44 http://kak.ru/magazine/6/a165/
- 45 http://kak.ru/magazine/6/a165/
- 46 http://flickr.com/photos/ken_duffy/898007070/
- 47 http://flickr.com/photos/ken_duffy/898007070/
- 48 http://www.flickr.com/photos/nigelbeale/2260217111/in/set-72157603894807023/
- 49 http://www.flickr.com/photos/nigelbeale/2260217111/in/set-72157603894807023/
- 50 http://nytimesbooks.blogspot.com/2007/03/cigarette-century.html
- 51 http://nytimesbooks.blogspot.com/2007/03/cigarette-century.html
- 52 http://flickr.com/photos/grainspace/2199567820/
- 53 http://flickr.com/photos/grainspace/2199567820/
- 54 http://ffffound.com/image/8b942b1d934bd721507bcc6beef220a24b603f97
- 55 http://ffffound.com/image/8b942b1d934bd721507bcc6beef220a24b603f97
- 56 http://flickr.com/photos/49527900@N00/251435453
- 57 http://flickr.com/photos/49527900@N00/251435453
- 58 http://www.behance.net/Gallery/Book-Cover-The-Music-of-Chance/47985
- 59 http://www.behance.net/Gallery/Book-Cover-The-Music-of-Chance/47985
- 60 http://nytimesbooks.blogspot.com/2007/08/one-red-paperclip-or-how-ordinary-man.html
- 61 http://nytimesbooks.blogspot.com/2007/08/one-red-paperclip-or-how-ordinary-man.html
- 62 http://nytimesbooks.blogspot.com/2008/03/two-new-science-titles-from-penguin.html
- 63 http://nytimesbooks.blogspot.com/2008/03/two-new-science-titles-from-penguin.html
- 64 http://flickr.com/photos/ad_symphoniam/2334244418/in/pool-bookcovers
- 65 http://flickr.com/photos/ad_symphoniam/2334244418/in/pool-bookcovers
- 66 http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/076242723X/ref=sib_dp_pt#reader-link
- 67 http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/076242723X/ref=sib_dp_pt#reader-link
- 68 http://www.flickr.com/photos/joekral/338398980/in/set-72157594264845751/
- 69 http://www.flickr.com/photos/joekral/338398980/in/set-72157594264845751/
- 70 http://nytimesbooks.blogspot.com/2008/04/mayors-tongue.html
- 71 http://nytimesbooks.blogspot.com/2008/04/mayors-tongue.html
- 72 http://nytimesbooks.blogspot.com/2008/03/all-sad-young-literary-men.html
- 73 http://nytimesbooks.blogspot.com/2008/03/all-sad-young-literary-men.html
- 74 http://swissmiss.typepad.com/weblog/2007/09/andrew-zuckerma.html
- 75 http://swissmiss.typepad.com/weblog/2007/09/andrew-zuckerma.html
- 76 http://flickr.com/groups/bookcovers/pool/
- 77 http://digitalgallery.nypl.org/nypldigital/dgkeysearchresult.cfm?parent_id=1030351
- 78 http://www.flickr.com/photos/joekral/sets/72157594264351021/
- 79 http://seenbooks.blogspot.com/
- 80 http://flickr.com/groups/paperbacks/pool/
- 81 http://nytimesbooks.blogspot.com/
- 82 http://thingsmagazine.net/projects/pelican.htm
- 83 http://www.sil.si.edu/ondisplay/czechbooks/explore.htm
Hold on, Tiger! Thank you for reading the article. Did you know that we also publish printed books and run friendly conferences – crafted for pros like you? Like SmashingConf Barcelona, on October 25–26, with smart design patterns and front-end techniques.