Designing blogs is easy. Designing blogs in a unique way is hard. Whatever blog engine you are using, there are literally thousands of templates available which you can apply directly, without any significant code modifications. That’s efficient, but it’s not creative, because using a default blog-template you risk to end up with some wide-spread look which has actually nothing to do with you. To convey your personality effectively, you need a design which reflects who you are and what you are doing. That’s why important is not just what you post, but also how you post it.
In fact, beyond the template-design-culture exists a field of creative, individual and impressive blog designs. And the good thing about it is that this field has been rapidly growing over the last years. To celebrate the creativity of blog designers we regularly present reviews of excellent blog designs we have stumbled upon recently. This post is no exception. Below you’ll find 50 further examples of excellent, unique and impressive blog designs.
Apart from “usual” minimal designs, one can observe more rather complex graphic works. If earlier only blog headers had striking visual elements, now whole web-layouts seem to have become more vibrant: paper clips, mp3-players, coffee cups and further objects are used extensively. Apparently, they are used as metaphors for the environment of site designers. Such designs are just impossible to copy and they unite the visual design with the author’s content in a unique and very personal layout.
You can also have a look at our previous showcases:
- 45 More Excellent Blog Designs1 (February 2008)
- 30 More Excellent Blog Designs2 (November 2007)
- 45 Excellent Blog Designs3 (August 2007)
Excellent Blog Designs Link
A pretty, clean, light and fresh blog design.
Trendy stripes gone wild. The colors just fit together.
Blog design meets vintage style. If you will ever need to design a blog in the vintage style, here is how you could do it.
“Thin” blog design. The navigation menu at the top is pretty funky.
Antonio Lupetti impresses with a very clean design and keen attention to details. Calm, clean and very user-friendly.
A 3-column-based blog design which is really distinctive from usual blog designs.
A blog design with feminine touch from Holland.
This header is really hard to forget.
Instead of displaying excerpts of the latest posts, this blog first presents the titles of the posts and the latest forum posts.
What does Lisa like? Right, photography and music. And where does she come from? Right, Canada. You see it immediately. That’s an effective use of visuals.
Similar ideas as in the previous design.
Ok, that’s probably too many details at once. But Phil doesn’t care. A really different blog design.
Summer colors for the summer mood. Can you find the swimming duck in the layout?
- 1 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/02/20/45-more-excellent-blog-designs/
- 2 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2007/11/22/30-more-excellent-blog-designs/
- 3 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2007/08/28/45-excellent-blog-designs/
- 4 http://www.narfstuff.co.uk/
- 5 http://www.narfstuff.co.uk/
- 6 http://www.dollarshort.org/
- 7 http://www.dollarshort.org/
- 8 http://coda.co.za/blog/
- 9 http://coda.co.za/blog/
- 10 http://bradfrostweb.com/blog/
- 11 http://bradfrostweb.com/blog/
- 12 http://blog.popstalin.com/
- 13 http://blog.popstalin.com/
- 14 http://tehcpeng.net/
- 15 http://tehcpeng.net/
- 16 http://www.antiphrasis.com/
- 17 http://www.antiphrasis.com/
- 18 http://lucyblackmore.co.uk/
- 19 http://lucyblackmore.co.uk/
- 20 http://designreviver.com/
- 21 http://designreviver.com/
- 22 http://www.viget.com/inspire/
- 23 http://www.viget.com/inspire/
- 24 http://www.freelenz.at/
- 25 http://www.freelenz.at/
- 26 http://bitsamppixels.com/
- 27 http://bitsamppixels.com/
- 28 http://creativebriefing.com/
- 29 http://creativebriefing.com/
- 30 http://www.olliekav.com/
- 31 http://www.olliekav.com/
- 32 http://www.thesuperest.com/
- 33 http://www.thesuperest.com/
- 34 http://www.rob-sheridan.com/sketchblog/
- 35 http://www.rob-sheridan.com/sketchblog/
- 36 http://internetzillionaire.com/
- 37 http://internetzillionaire.com/
- 38 http://www.cosmosart.org/
- 39 http://www.cosmosart.org/
- 40 http://kohette.com/
- 41 http://kohette.com/
- 42 http://blog.guifx.com/
- 43 http://blog.guifx.com/
- 44 http://www.homedesignfind.com/
- 45 http://www.homedesignfind.com/
- 46 http://www.glasshills.co.uk/
- 47 http://www.glasshills.co.uk/
- 48 http://blogs.catydesign-studio.com/
- 49 http://blogs.catydesign-studio.com/
- 50 http://vectips.com/
- 51 http://vectips.com/
- 52 http://www.revota.com/
- 53 http://www.revota.com/
- 54 http://www.susay.de/
- 55 http://www.susay.de/
- 56 http://modernoprometeo.com/
- 57 http://www.popculturetees.com/
- 58 http://www.popculturetees.com/
- 59 http://www.catalyststudios.co.uk/
- 60 http://www.catalyststudios.co.uk/
- 61 http://www.dandelionpath.com/
- 62 http://www.dandelionpath.com/
Hold on, Tiger! Thank you for reading the article. Did you know that we also publish printed books and run friendly conferences – crafted for pros like you? Like SmashingConf Barcelona, on October 25–26, with smart design patterns and front-end techniques.