Sometimes typography is all you need to communicate your ideas effectively. Graphics can support the type or type can support the graphics, but to deliver the message precisely, you need to make sure your type is strong enough, your design is distinctive enough and the composition is strong enough. The results are sometimes crazy, sometimes artsy, sometimes beautiful, but often just different from things we’re used to. Thus, designers explore new horizons, and we explore new viewing perspectives which are what inspiration is all about. [Content Care Nov/11/2016]
This post showcases over 70 examples of sexy, bold and experimental typography. Some examples are typographic posters, some are typographic illustrations, and some are just sketches with type. In any case, you will hopefully find some inspiration for your future works.
Feel free to check out our previous typography-related posts:
- The Good, The Bad And The Great Examples Of Web Typography1
- Breathtaking Typographic Posters2
- The Showcase of BIG Typography3
So what can be achieved out of simple letters and symbols? Please be patient, some screenshots are huge.
Sweet and Cute Type Link
Sweet Sixteen Link
Typography with a sweet taste of sugar. A nice composition, an excellent execution. Sometimes not that much is needed to make the type look tasty. The typeface used below is Cutiful.
Hand lettering by Ray Fenwick, cutting out by Dan Mogford.
An illustration created by Nik Ainley. Notice how well every single letter (e.g. “l” and “s”) fits in the composition.
Newstand Cover for Computer Arts issue 139 Link
Alejandro Paul’s Affair typography from Argentina: typography dominates in the composition, the swirly headline is just breathtaking.
Created by Michael van Laar using Freebooter Script.
Dessert type for a dessert announcement.
Nothing can beat old-style-typography. Nothing.
Apparently, typography can be used for a number of purposes. Typographical Motorsports: simple yet interesting.
It is worth a discussion if “overlettering” actually helps to deliver a message, but the type looks nicely. And the choice of colors is impressive.
Impressive lettering by Ale Paul.
The attention to detail is remarkable. Designed by Theo Aartsma.
Arabic Typography Link
Elegant and Sexy Type Link
Simple idea which uses only the power of typography. Impressive posters do not need to be colorful.
Poster for a experimental performance installation. The main lettering is based on PF Beau Sans. Unusual: thin font transform into a thin thread.
In this logo “q” and “p” belong together. Nice concept, nice colors.
Similar idea as in the previous one, but a different execution.
Slick and sexy, colorful and strong. Notice how beautifully both letters intersect in the middle of the image.
Well, that’s A LOT of letters. Vibrant colors meet 3D-typography. Available as a desktop wallpaper. Designed by Guilherme Marconi.
Dutch graphic design at its best. Interesting typographic construction which captures attention by its structure and attracts by its vibrant colors.
Strong, dirty and grungy typography is also possible. Craig Shields manages to get impressive results combining grunge and type.
Designed by Stefan Lucut. The loog looks very modern and powerful, however, at the first glance it is not clear what the red thread stands for. Nevertheless, very original composition.
Strong and Bold Type Link
Nicolas Alexander combines typography and retro. Notice how elegant the line starting in the letter “G” goes through “R”.
2008 Calendar Link
Expressing feelings via colors and type. A very clean and beautiful design by Jonathan Davies.
Bckyrdflw Promo Link
Well, this one is hard to overlook. Andrew Dyjak’s poster can be read without
vocals vowels. Lovely colors, cropping and, of course, type.
Strong, bold and extremely expressive. And it is just a table!
A1 Graphic poster produced by John McDermott. Simple, strong and sexy. Sometimes two colors and a bold typeface are enough.
A distinctive treatmeant of letters which perfectly fits to the message a poster wants to convey. Designed by Zoltan Szalay.
Nik Ainley Link
Nik Ainley strikes again. Lovely typographic work where letters don’t just convey the message, but are also functional: their form suggests the second message which is transported with the artwork.
Dutch Typography by Benno Wissing. It looks very modern, but it was created in 1963.
Colorful and distinctive. Each color stands for a different movie which participated in the festival.
Experiments with type Link
Crumpler – ABC Link
Sometimes typography is used to deliver a message in a quite, well, unusual way.
Lead Us Not Into The Future
A Stitch Up – Corktown Tavern – Base Link
Unusual type treatment which makes the wishes quite distinctive from the “usual” crowd.
Cubix Rube Soft
These letters are really hard to read. Is it the purpose of typography? Well, it’s definitely an experiment. Cute, fat and bold type in use.
Pattern is used to create letters.
Experimental Jetset: SMCS Invitations
Sometimes type doesn’t look like type at all.
88. Geometric Type95 Link
This type is quite freaky. Dutch Graphic Design.
A (really) striking poster designed by Martin Fewell from Manchester, UK.
Disturbing yet powerful. This poster delivers the message effectively.
Usually typography is used as a foundation for symbols. In this artwork it is the other way around. The yellow circle in the middle of the composition may be too striking, but it may be the designer’s intention. Designed by Satoboy.
Last Click Link
Designed with the sole intention of not over complicating the design. Designed by Richard Shed.
These flocked magnets looks pretty sweet.
Beautiful integration of type into a photo.
Ok, now it’s time for a coffee break.
- 1 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2014/12/the-good-the-bad-and-the-great-examples-of-web-typography/
- 2 /2008/02/25/breathtaking-typographic-posters/
- 3 /2007/10/15/the-showcase-of-big-typography/
- 4 http://flickr.com/photos/dansflickr/1335555220/
- 5 http://flickr.com/photos/dansflickr/1335555220/
- 6 http://ffffound.com/image/41bd7e45b98070cb220f1418c3b1b754d0a67c73
- 7 http://ffffound.com/image/41bd7e45b98070cb220f1418c3b1b754d0a67c73
- 8 http://flickr.com/photos/jesse757/2328753993/
- 9 http://flickr.com/photos/jesse757/2328753993/
- 10 http://flickr.com/photos/breidholt/2266220395/
- 11 http://flickr.com/photos/breidholt/2266220395/
- 12 http://flickr.com/photos/florian_schmucker/345971693/
- 13 http://flickr.com/photos/florian_schmucker/345971693/
- 14 http://flickr.com/photos/17849178@N00/2453172448/in/pool-typodotgraphy
- 15 http://flickr.com/photos/17849178@N00/2453172448/in/pool-typodotgraphy
- 16 http://flickr.com/photos/neuarmy/2353588570/in/pool-ilovetypography
- 17 http://www.neuarmy.com/
- 18 http://flickr.com/photos/neuarmy/2353588570/in/pool-ilovetypography
- 19 http://flickr.com/photos/7628555@N07/2288731801/in/pool-ilovetypography
- 20 http://flickr.com/photos/7628555@N07/2288731801/in/pool-ilovetypography
- 21 http://flickr.com/photos/wheatfields/2108978128/
- 22 http://flickr.com/photos/wheatfields/2108978128/
- 23 http://flickr.com/photos/cubic_ds/2169308116/
- 24 http://flickr.com/photos/cubic_ds/2169308116/
- 25 http://www.flickr.com/photos/21445551@N04/2353189414/in/pool-abduzeedo
- 26 http://www.flickr.com/photos/21445551@N04/2353189414/in/pool-abduzeedo
- 27 http://ffffound.com/image/92a59c36f2d53f569b3463d156aa8df265299cbd?c=643069
- 28 http://ffffound.com/image/92a59c36f2d53f569b3463d156aa8df265299cbd?c=643069
- 29 http://www.flickr.com/photos/21445551@N04/2468732574/in/pool-aiburn
- 30 http://www.flickr.com/photos/21445551@N04/2468732574/in/pool-aiburn
- 31 http://abduzeedo.com/wallpaper-week-1
- 32 http://abduzeedo.com/wallpaper-week-1
- 33 http://flickr.com/photos/jarrgeerligs/259827708/in/set-72157594312317272/
- 34 http://flickr.com/photos/jarrgeerligs/259827708/in/set-72157594312317272/
- 35 http://www.behance.net/Gallery/BBB/82068
- 36 http://www.behance.net/Gallery/Typography/89817
- 37 http://ffffound.com/image/6ec393e8e5b911c91cbec67baf218e6cf06c7fa9
- 38 http://ffffound.com/image/6ec393e8e5b911c91cbec67baf218e6cf06c7fa9
- 39 http://flickr.com/photos/oobaties/2411311482/
- 40 http://flickr.com/photos/oobaties/2411311482/
- 41 http://flickr.com/photos/ins/811753720/in/pool-ilovetypography
- 42 http://flickr.com/photos/ins/811753720/in/pool-ilovetypography
- 43 http://flickr.com/photos/insect54/493511063/in/pool-692888@N22
- 44 http://flickr.com/photos/insect54/493511063/in/pool-692888@N22
- 45 http://ffffound.com/image/e2e073cdaa28aa3f32c9869a3696e3f1efe28cc1
- 46 http://ffffound.com/image/e2e073cdaa28aa3f32c9869a3696e3f1efe28cc1
- 47 http://www.flickr.com/photos/20745656@N00/413975598/
- 48 http://www.flickr.com/photos/20745656@N00/413975598/
- 49 http://www.behance.net/Gallery/The-Make-Lounge/80086
- 50 http://www.behance.net/Gallery/The-Make-Lounge/80086
- 51 http://blog.iso50.com/?p=1511
- 52 http://blog.iso50.com/?p=1511
- 53 http://ffffound.com/image/3f1b42a970065da6c8a9df32af7b8949b8e3d08c
- 54 http://ffffound.com/image/3f1b42a970065da6c8a9df32af7b8949b8e3d08c
- 55 http://flickr.com/photos/maria_stoff/1969104113/in/pool-typodotgraphy
- 56 http://flickr.com/photos/maria_stoff/1969104113/in/pool-typodotgraphy
- 57 http://flickr.com/photos/extraverage/1284263074/
- 58 http://flickr.com/photos/extraverage/1284263074/
- 59 http://flickr.com/photos/javaloca/2220435550/
- 60 http://flickr.com/photos/javaloca/2220435550/
- 61 http://flickr.com/photos/chicharronkonpelos/2300591946/in/pool-typographyfriday
- 62 http://flickr.com/photos/chicharronkonpelos/2300591946/in/pool-typographyfriday
- 63 http://ffffound.com/image/04d11d818d0222be1a3fdaa7b29d080945c716cc
- 64 http://ffffound.com/image/04d11d818d0222be1a3fdaa7b29d080945c716cc
- 65 http://flickr.com/photos/networkosaka/2375665566/in/pool-typodesigns
- 66 http://flickr.com/photos/networkosaka/2375665566/in/pool-typodesigns
- 67 http://flickr.com/photos/capoluiz/2360333577/in/pool-tipografiabrasil
- 68 http://flickr.com/photos/capoluiz/2360333577/in/pool-tipografiabrasil
- 69 http://flickr.com/photos/13606271@N06/2284446898/
- 70 http://flickr.com/photos/13606271@N06/2284446898/
- 71 http://flickr.com/photos/gabere/2297585842/in/pool-ilovetypography
- 72 http://flickr.com/photos/gabere/2297585842/in/pool-ilovetypography
- 73 http://flickr.com/photos/ins/780393730/in/pool-ilovetypography
- 74 http://flickr.com/photos/ins/780393730/in/pool-ilovetypography
- 75 http://www.flickr.com/photos/damiaosantana/296439916/
- 76 http://www.flickr.com/photos/damiaosantana/296439916/
- 77 http://www.flickr.com/photos/fca_/1130850503/
- 78 http://www.flickr.com/photos/fca_/1130850503/
- 79 http://www.flickr.com/photos/extraverage/1606981040/
- 80 http://www.flickr.com/photos/extraverage/1606981040/
- 81 http://www.flickr.com/photos/cubic_ds/2401071056/in/pool-_typography
- 82 http://www.flickr.com/photos/cubic_ds/2401071056/in/pool-_typography
- 83 http://www.behance.net/gallery/Type-Area/63148
- 84 http://www.behance.net/gallery/Type-Area/63148
- 85 http://flickr.com/photos/insect54/485104752/in/pool-692888@N22
- 86 http://flickr.com/photos/insect54/485104752/in/pool-692888@N22
- 87 http://flickr.com/photos/insect54/2257250913/in/pool-692888@N22
- 88 http://flickr.com/photos/insect54/2257250913/in/pool-692888@N22
- 89 http://dieline.typepad.com/blog/2007/06/askul.html#more
- 90 http://dieline.typepad.com/blog/2007/06/askul.html#more
- 91 http://ffffound.com/image/b684808020eabec913d946a46f94fdd8a044bded
- 92 http://ffffound.com/image/b684808020eabec913d946a46f94fdd8a044bded
- 93 http://ffffound.com/image/b7a30b54f659f7ba9a9558f50b50dffbdbbfd94a?c=531198
- 94 http://ffffound.com/image/b7a30b54f659f7ba9a9558f50b50dffbdbbfd94a?c=531198
- 95 http://ffffound.com/image/489876335325d7dd1de12824bb11145053bdd324?c=531113
- 96 http://ffffound.com/image/489876335325d7dd1de12824bb11145053bdd324?c=531113
- 97 http://ffffound.com/image/962b475cab8e2598a42980e6eb150618cab820bb?c=531082
- 98 http://ffffound.com/image/962b475cab8e2598a42980e6eb150618cab820bb?c=531082
- 99 http://ffffound.com/image/537e6fa4bb73e02a701e75fa31bec3116a6074c5
- 100 http://ffffound.com/image/537e6fa4bb73e02a701e75fa31bec3116a6074c5
- 101 http://flickr.com/photos/satoboy/2475757520/in/pool-colorfulgraphics
- 102 http://flickr.com/photos/satoboy/2475757520/in/pool-colorfulgraphics
- 103 http://www.my-os.net/blog/index.php?2006/05/16/402-chaumont-festival-international-de-l-affiche-version-2
- 104 http://www.my-os.net/blog/index.php?2006/05/16/402-chaumont-festival-international-de-l-affiche-version-2
- 105 http://flickr.com/photos/marinachaccur/2176133223/in/pool-typodotgraphy
- 106 http://flickr.com/photos/marinachaccur/2176133223/in/pool-typodotgraphy
- 107 http://www.flickr.com/photos/greysheepduo/2472253642/
- 108 http://www.flickr.com/photos/greysheepduo/2472253642/
- 109 http://www.flickr.com/photos/clau_gatik/2274907127/in/pool-latinotype
- 110 http://www.flickr.com/photos/clau_gatik/2274907127/in/pool-latinotype