One month ago we announced the guest author contest1, with the main prize being an Apple MacBook Air. We received 252 submissions. The choice was tough and time-consuming as we wanted to have a nice mix of various articles participating in the contest. In the end we have selected 15 articles and published them last week.
We have considered various details to determine the winner of the contest: in particular, we considered the degree of utility, traffic, the quality of comments, the quality of backlinks and the poll results. The final decision was not based upon our personal preferences, but on the decision of our readers and their activities.
Apparently, discussion articles had bad chances to win the main prize. However, we are confident that top-10-articles took more time to compile. We’ll definitely contact some of the authors and ask them to develop their ideas further, for an extensive single post.
All articles have been heavily commented and rated. Some of them were viewed by over 50,000 readers. Among them is also the winner — R. Christie with his article Top 10 CSS Table Designs2. The article was not only extremely popular in various social networks, it also had the best score in the poll and only a couple of negative comments — apparently, it perfectly fits to the concept of our magazine.
Congratulations, R. Christie! We hope you’ll enjoy your new Apple MacBook Air — maybe you’ll use it to write some more smashing articles for our magazine?
All finalists will get small gifts Link
All authors whose articles were published in our magazine will get a prize. In particular, five authors will receive designer laptop sleeves, the other five will receive web-design-related books and one will get a special prize — Luxeed Dynamic Pixel LED Keyboard4 displayed below.
Here are the finalists in a brief overview:
- Huw Wilkins6
- Joel Eby7
- Haroon Baig8
- Edison Morais9
- Hagit Hashimshony 10
- Andy Brown11
- Brian Haught12
- Tom Giannattasio13
- Hollis Bartlett14
- Juul Coolen15
- Steven D.16
- Jänis Lanka17
- Nic Pretorius18
- Irina Lyakisheva19
All winners have already been notified via e-mail.
Regular writers are still welcomed! Link
We’ll contact some participants to agree upon test-articles for Smashing Magazine. We have found a lot of talented writers and we hope to cooperate with them to keep the high quality of the magazine and enrich it with new ideas and concepts. We are always looking for creative writers and we pay well — if you are interested, just drop us a line20!
Authors of the articles which haven’t been published in the magazine may be published somewhere else — we won’t use them in any way.
We express sincere gratitude for all participants of the contest! Stay tuned, we are going to smash you with further contests and prizes soon!
- 1 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/07/17/write-a-guest-post-and-win-apple-macbook-air/
- 2 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/08/13/top-10-css-table-designs/
- 3 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/08/13/top-10-css-table-designs/
- 4 http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/input/a85c/
- 5 http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/input/a85c/
- 6 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/08/15/ampersands-with-attitude/
- 7 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/08/15/executing-our-ideas-its-in-the-details/
- 8 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/08/15/top-10-creative-ways-to-display-time/
- 9 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/08/14/will-horizontal-layouts-return/
- 10 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/08/14/10-awesome-contemporary-character-designs/
- 11 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/08/14/designing-websites-in-photoshop-illustrator/
- 12 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/08/13/who-do-you-design-for-clients-or-users/
- 13 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/08/13/top-10-killer-photoshop-combo-moves/
- 14 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/08/12/my-secret-weapon-to-getting-contracts/
- 15 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/08/12/top-10-usability-highs-of-the-mac-os/
- 16 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/08/11/top-ten-web-typography-sins/
- 17 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/08/11/how-to-stop-being-a-lazy-designer/
- 18 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/08/11/design-and-independence/
- 19 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/08/10/10-beautiful-things-for-a-beautiful-life/
- 20 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/contact/index.php/form
Hold on, Tiger! Thank you for reading the article. Did you know that we also publish printed books and run friendly conferences – crafted for pros like you? Like SmashingConf Barcelona, on October 25–26, with smart design patterns and front-end techniques.