By Haroon Baig
Clocks don’t have to be boring. Of course, clocks need need to remain usable and display current time; however, they can do it in a number of creative ways. You are about to see some of the most creative examples out there. Take some time and enjoy. [Content Care Nov/09/2016]
What shall I say. If the others are songs, Uniqlock2 is the concert. Japanese girls dance focusing your attention away from the passing time. Probably one of the strangest — unique — clock screensavers out there.
2. Word Clock
Whether you hate or love Helvetica, you’ll just love Word Clock4 (for you haters out there the typeface can be changed). Simon Heys5, the creative director of Tonic, definitely deserves the place on the podium with this stunning piece. You can download the screensaver (PC and Mac) as well as an iPhone application.
Further Reading on SmashingMag: Link
- 4 Effective Strategies To Estimate Time For Your Design Projects6
- 50 Powerful Time-Savers For Web Designers7
- How To Find Time For… Everything!8
- How We Designed And Built Our First Apple Watch App9
DropClock11 is an aesthetically intriguing motion clock screensaver. Every minute of real time is numerically expressed with heavy helvetica dropping into water in super slow-motion. An impressive piece of art by Yugop. You can get the screensaver here12 (PC and Mac, price: $15).
4. Uncontrol Clock
Among other things Uncontrol Website offers the so-called “55 clock” for free download. This clock uses the 3rd dimension to combine an analogue display with a digital clock display. Ingenious.
5. FedEx “Just in time”
Just in time is the message of this advertising banner for FedEx, which won a Gold Lion in the Cyber Lions category in Cannes 2005. And deservedly so. You get the message.
6. Pulse Clock
Humanclock15 is a project by Craig D. Giffen. People from all over the world submit pictures with certain times on them. Every minute there is a new picture telling the current time. Simple as that. Read the project page16 for more info (you’ll find an analogue version, too).
8. Industrial Clock
Way back in 2000 the design legend Yugo Nakamura aka Yugop amazed the community with his Industrial Clock. It is not exaggerated to say that this piece has created a whole new genre of “video clocks” and served many others as inspiration (as you can see in some other examples).
9. Grid-Based Clock Link
This clock is built by Geoffroy Delobel and based on an idea by Sleepatwork17. The Grid Based Clock is a rather “constructivist” approach to display the time. Its elementary formal vocabulary makes a unique and unusual charm.
10. Clockr Link
Mario Klingemann (aka Quasimondo) came up with this classic. Clockr19 uses random digit images from Flickr to display the current time.Click on a number to change the image, double-click it to view the full image. Use the mouse wheel to cycle through (just give it some time if it doesn’t display the images right away). You can download the screensaver here20 (Win only).
Georg Meyer’s Site with a “Tangram Clock” (see the middle of the navigation bar)
You disagree with the order? What is your favorite? You know another amazing clocks that are missing? Please use the comment section to show your examples!
About the author: Haroon Baig is a communication designer currently working as a User Interface Designer in Germany.
- 1 http://www.uniqlo.jp/uniqlock/
- 2 http://www.uniqlo.jp/uniqlock/
- 3 http://www.simonheys.com/wordclock/
- 4 http://www.simonheys.com/wordclock/
- 5 http://www.simonheys.com
- 6 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2009/06/effective-strategy-to-estimate-time-for-your-design-projects/
- 7 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2010/06/50-powerful-time-savers-for-web-designers/
- 8 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2009/09/how-to-find-time-for-everything/
- 9 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2015/08/how-we-designed-and-built-our-first-apple-watch-app/
- 10 http://scr.sc/products/dropclock/
- 11 http://scr.sc/products/dropclock/
- 12 http://scr.sc/products/dropclock/
- 13 http://hi-res.net/
- 14 http://www.humanclock.com/clock.php
- 15 http://www.humanclock.com/clock.php
- 16 http://www.humanclock.com
- 17 http://www.sleepatwork.com/
- 18 http://www.quasimondo.com/clockr.php
- 19 http://www.quasimondo.com/clockr.php
- 20 http://quasimondo.com/clockr_screensaver.zip
- 21 http://www.barcodeart.com/art/clock/clock.html
- 22 http://lab.mathieu-badimon.com/
- 23 http://lab.mathieu-badimon.com/
- 24 http://blog.pixelbreaker.com/polarclock/
- 25 http://blog.pixelbreaker.com/polarclock/