Most photographers do not feel comfortable in taking photographs in bad weather. Yet bad weather sometimes presents the perfect opportunity to get most out of our skills. In particular, in the beginning of autumn rain can provide the perfect opportunity to capture wonderful photos.
Shooting in rain produces dramatic atmosphere and soft romantic scenes. Whether you are after lightning strikes or water drops, alone the incredible cloud formations can produce quite exciting and impressive photos. Reflections can occasionally produce mirrors or blurs of dancing colors, making the photography in rain beautiful and unpredictable.
Below we present over 35 beautiful examples of rain photography. This post is supposed to provide you with some inspiration for rainy motifs and is not supposed to be the ultimate collection of best photographs. There are definitely thousands of beautiful “rainy” photos. Feel free to share links to them in comments to this post!
All photos are linked and lead to the sources from which they were taken. Please feel free to explore further works of these photographers on their Flickr collections or their personal sites.
Further Reading on SmashingMag:
- 25 Beautiful Macro Photography Shots
- 35 Fantastic HDR Pictures
- Beautiful Black And White Photography
- (Really) Stunning Pictures and Photos
Beautiful Rain Photography
New job openings
Great companies are looking for smart cookies like you.Explore job opportunities →
Further Articles and Related Resources
- Flickr: Fog and Rain Photographs of Fog, Mist, Thick Clouds, Storms
- Flickr: After the Rain Things that you see after the rain – wet nature, wet flowers, wet streets, wet cars, wet people.
- Flickr: Weather Photgraphy
- Flickr: Indian Rain Suprising and best photos taken in th rain.
- Discovery Channel: Storm Chasers See the intrepid group of scientists, filmmakers, and adventurers, who hunt down tornadoes to capture amazing IMAX film and valuable scientific data.