Every now and again we take a look around, select high-quality free fonts1 and present them to you in a brief overview. The choice is enormous, so the time you need to find them is usually the time you should be investing in your current projects. We search for them and we find them, so you don’t have to.
This month we are glad to present 5 free high-quality fonts and collections of grunge and handwritten fonts. Please read the license agreements carefully — they can change from time to time. [Content Care Oct/25/2016]
The Free Fonts Link
An unfinished, yet very impressive sans serif font, designed by Christopher Miller. The font includes 182 characters.
Jos Buivenga released Museo Sans, a sans-version of his previously released freefont Museo5. Museo Sans is a sturdy, low contrast, geometric, highly legible sans serif typeface very well suited for any display and text use. The OpenType font family offers supports CE languages and even esperanto. Besides ligatures, fractions and proportional/tabular lining and oldstyle figures MUSEO also has a ‘case’ feature for case-sensitive forms.
Museo Sans font family comes in 10 fonts: 5 weights (100 300 500 700 900) with each an italic. 2 fonts are absolutely free (500/500 italic). A registration is required to download the files.
The Fell Types10
A set of free modern revival fonts, with ligatures, swash characters, and ornaments, digitalized by Igino Marini. “The Fell Types took their name from John Fell, a Bishop of Oxford in the seventeenth-century. Not only he created an unique collection of printing types but he started one of the most important adventures in the history of typography.
You will find here a non-exhaustive history and a modern digitalization of some of them. If you want to use it in publications on any kind of media you have to put in the following quote as a note: «The Fell Types are digitally reproduced by Igino Marini. www.iginomarini.com» and let the designer know where you used it.
A TrueType-font, designed by Manfred Klein and available in 4 weights – light, regular, bold and heavy.
FF Nuvo OT Medium14
This font is still available for free download. Designed by Siegfried Rückel, it’s a contemporary type design with vertical contrast, and especially the characters a, g and y show the calligraphic touch. Suitable for magazine design from headlines to longer texts as well as for advertising, packaging and corporate design. A free download for a limited time. OpenType.
- 1 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/07/55-free-high-quality-icon-sets/
- 2 http://www.dafont.com/myndraine.font
- 3 http://www.dafont.com/myndraine.font
- 4 http://www.exljbris.com/museosans.html
- 5 http://www.exljbris.com/museo.html
- 6 http://www.exljbris.com/museosans.html
- 7 http://www.exljbris.com/museosans.html
- 8 http://synergydigital.deviantart.com/art/Grunge-Serifia-Font-OTF-93046795
- 9 http://www.bittbox.com/freebies/bb-petie-boy/
- 10 http://iginomarini.com/fell/
- 11 http://iginomarini.com/fell/
- 12 http://moorstation.org/typoasis/designers/klein03/text/folks.htm
- 13 http://moorstation.org/typoasis/designers/klein03/text/folks.htm
- 14 http://www.fontfont.com/downloads/
- 15 http://www.fontfont.com/downloads/
Hold on, Tiger! Thank you for reading the article. Did you know that we also publish printed books and run friendly conferences – crafted for pros like you? Like SmashingConf Barcelona, on October 25–26, with smart design patterns and front-end techniques.