Among all different types of photography showcased on the Smashing Magazine, underwater photography is probably one of the most difficult ones. It requires a very specialized equipment and the knowledge of some advanced techniques to get a perfect picture. Underwater photos offen suffer from loss of color and contrast when taken on some significant depth. These photos are always adjusted with color balance to help offset the blueish tint of the water.
Of all the different types of photography showcased on Smashing Magazine, underwater pictures are probably the most difficult to get. They require a very specialized equipment and the knowledge of some advanced techniques to get a perfect picture. You need to get the correct exposure, accurate focus, controlled movement of your subject and a pleasing color balance; you also have to deal with low light.
Underwater photos offen suffer from loss of color and contrast when taken at a significant depth. Such photos are always adjusted with color balance to help offset the blueish tint of the water.
Further Reading on SmashingMag:
- 35 Beautiful Examples Of Rain Photography
- 50 Incredible Photography Techniques and Tutorials
- (Really) Stunning Pictures and Photos
- Celebration Of Smoke Photography and Smoke Art
Because underwater photography is a specialized art, relatively few photographers attempt it. But it offers many exciting and rare photographic opportunities for fresh and truly different vivid images. Most often, photographers use a traditional film or digital camera covered in a watertight casing. Professionals prefer to use special underwater cameras.
Below, we present over 50 beautiful examples of underwater photos, created by artists and professional photographers. All works featured below have the artists and photographers’ names linked to their portfolios or websites. At the bottom of this post you’ll fine some links to Flickr groups where you can find more similar and exciting photos.
50 Stunning Underwater Pictures
Kenvin Pinardy Dancing underwater.
Gattaldo Water just makes every situation more poetic and graceful.
Smodger Colorful scene captured using macro photography technique.
Tina Owens Blue crab holding an urchin on its head for protection.
Saul Kondrotas Jellyfish
1938 underwater photography By Bruce Mozertom.
Links for further photographs and related resources.
- Life Aquatic The Life Aquatic group welcomes pictures of, but not limited to, amphibians, annelids, abalone, anemones, aquariums, aquatic plants, birds, bryozoans, chambered nautilus, cnidaria, coral reefs, crustaceans, coelenterates, ctenophores, fish, freshwater fish, jellyfish, marine mammals, mollusks, octopi, reptiles, sea snakes, sea squirts, sea turtles, sharks, sponges, squid, starfish, tunicates, etc.
- Aquatic Turtles All species of aquatic turtles
- Aquatic insects Photography of benthic macroinvertebrates, including dragonflies, mosquitoes, mayflies, stoneflies, water striders, beetles, etc.
- Digital Underwater Photography Scuba and other underwater photos.
- Underwater Indoneesia Photos taken underwater in Indonesia, including Bali, Java, Moluccas, Papua (Irian Jaya), Kalimantan (Borneo), Sulawesi (Celebes), and other dive spots in Indonesia.
- Underwater Maldives Photos taken underwater in the Maldives Islands.
- Underwater Videos Underwater, scuba, diving or snorkeling videos.