It’s been about 7 months since the original Illustrator Tutorials – Best Of1 was published, and in that time there have been many more noteworthy tutorials released. With all of that new content , it’s only appropriate to put out a second edition of the best Illustrator tutorials. In this post you’ll find some basic tutorials on getting started with certain aspects of Illustrator and some of its specific tools. You’ll also find more advanced tutorials that deal with all of the potential that Illustrator brings to graphic design.
Many of these tutorials have been developed by some of the best in the business, so you’re sure to find plenty of new techniques and tricks to take your graphic design skills to a new level.
Adobe Illustrator Tutorials – Best Of Link
A Comprehensive Guide: Illustrator’s Paintbrush Tool and Brush Panel2
Probably the most comprehensive tutorial or article on this subject. Everyone can learn something here that will improve their skills with brushes, and it’s especially useful for beginners with Illustrator.
Illustrator’s Pen Tool: The Comprehensive Guide3
Another extensive guide from VECTORTUTS. This one leads you through a series of exercises that will quickly develop your skills with the pen tool. Again, an excellent resource for beginners and for those who just want to improve their work with the pen tool.
An Intro to the Mesh Tool
Gradient meshes have a lot of power and potential in Illustrator, but you have to know how to use them. This tutorial is a good starting point if you haven’t worked with them before or if you are looking for a refresher.
Create a Cute Vector Monster from a Pencil Sketch4
Illustrated characters are obviously a popular trend right now in Web design. Let Chris Spooner show you the process used to create this vector monster from sketch to Illustrator.
Trendy Geometric Lines Tutorial6
This tutorial uses Photoshop to add finishing touches to work done in Illustrator. It’s easy to find a use for these techniques in wallpaper design or creating background images for websites.
If you’ve got a lot of time on your hands and want detailed design and Illustration tutorials, IllustrationClass is the place to go. The tutorials are available as Zip downloads. The approximate time for this tutorial is 18 hours. There are over 50 images included and the notes are seven pages long.
Symmetrical Illustration: Thug Bunny8
Another detailed tutorial from IllustrationClass. This one again takes you through the whole process from sketch to finished artwork, this time to create a cartoon thug bunny.
How to Create an Open Book with Illustrator’s 3D Extrude & Bevel Tool9
Learn how to create an impressive-looking book with some handy Illustrator tools.
Creating an Environmentally Friendly Green Type Treatment11
This is one of the more useful text tutorials on Illustrator. It will teach you techniques that are especially effective for logo design and creating website headers.
Create Your Own Vector Cartoon Character13
Starting with a sketch, Chris Spooner will lead you through the process of creating a fun cartoon character. Chris makes it look simple to design vector characters like this one.
Create Abstract Backgrounds15
Experimenting with creating backgrounds is an effective way to master the tools of Illustrator and enhance your skills. This tutorial leads you through some experimentation, and of course there is plenty of opportunity here to go off on your own and be creative.
Recolor Artwork Using Illustrator’s LiveColor16
A helpful tutorial from Veerle that will have you recoloring your work with ease. Veerle takes you through all the necessary steps to use a feature of Illustrator that can be intimidating.
Create a Spiral Ornament Symbol in Illustrator19
Spirals and curls can add a lot of artistic character to a design, and here you’ll learn to create attractive spirals with some of the basic Illustrator tools.
How to Draw Your Own Vector Wings20
Starting with a photo of a single feather, this tutorial will lead you through the process of creating a nice set of vector wings to use in your own graphic design work.
Create a Stunning Undersea Painting Using Vector Packs22
Go Media’s vector packs are well known in the industry, and this tutorial takes you through a very detailed process of using the contents of the vector pack to create something special.
A Pseudo-Sugar Skull: From Start to Finish23
Go Media puts out another complete tutorial that takes you the whole way through the process of sketching this skull and creating the finished piece in Illustrator.
Create a Sidekick LX Styled Vector Illustration25
There are all kinds of Photoshop tutorials for creating mobile phones, but not nearly as many for Illustrator. This tutorial starts with a JPEG of the sidekick and works through the process of creating a realistic vector version of it.
Create an Envelope Icon with a Satin Feel
This is a detailed tutorial with plenty of screenshots to lead you through the process of creating an attractive envelope icon, which of course has plenty of practical usage possibilities.
Creating a Cool Water Effect
There are a number of Photoshop tutorials on creating similar water drop effects, but this is a nice one for Illustrator. You’ll create the background and style the text to complete the look.
How to Create a Vector Safari Compass in Illustrator26
Design a highly detailed compass that makes nice use of a vector world map as the subtle background of the compass face.
Working with Illustrator “Art” Brushes: Options and Adjustments27
Learn more about one of the four types of Illustrator brushes. It’s mostly a post that leads you through some experimentation that will help you understand more about how art brushes work.
Command Shape in Illustrator28
Learn how to recreate the Apple command key icon. This is an informative tutorial on working with shapes, even if you are setting out to create a different end result than the command key shape.
Using Illustrator’s Mesh Tool as Nature Intended29
In this tutorial you’ll take a basic leaf and give it some added character using the mesh tool. It’s only a seven-step process, and there’s room for some experimentation as far as how the end result looks.
Using the Symbol Tools30
This is part of a 30-day series on learning Illustrator31 (definitely worth checking out, especially for those who are new to Illustrator). By understanding symbols you can create images like this one quickly by reusing the symbol.
Design Gift Boxes Using Illustrator’s 3D Tools38
The 3D tools of Illustrator have made a few appearances on this list, mostly because they give the user so much potential with surprising ease. The end result of this tutorial is a beautiful festive design.
How to Make a Vector Pattern Brush44
By creating a brush that can be used for seamless patterns, you open up a lot of opportunities for creativity. This tutorial takes you through the steps of setting up the brush and making sure that there are no seams.
Adobe Illustrator Shortcuts45
This is not so much a tutorial as it is a productivity post. Increasing efficiency and streamlining processes is always a good thing, and this post will give you plenty of practical shortcuts.
Transform a Busy Photo into a Strong Silhouette47
This tutorial uses the pen tool to trace part of a photo to create the silhouette. At the end it offers the option to go one step further in Photoshop and create a different effect by filling the silhouette with a texture.
For additional Adobe Illustrator tutorials: Link
- 1 /2008/02/05/illustrator-tutorials-best-of/
- 2 http://vectortuts.com/tools-tips/a-comprehensive-guide-illustrators-paintbrush-tool-and-brush-panel/
- 3 http://vectortuts.com/tools-tips/illustrators-pen-tool-the-comprehensive-guide/
- 4 http://www.blog.spoongraphics.co.uk/tutorials/create-a-cute-vector-monster-from-a-pencil-sketch
- 5 http://veerle.duoh.com/blog/comments/creating_geometric_patterns_in_illustrator/
- 6 http://www.blog.spoongraphics.co.uk/tutorials/trendy-geometric-lines-design-tutorial
- 7 http://www.illustrationclass.com/?p=112
- 8 http://www.illustrationclass.com/?p=107
- 9 http://vectortuts.com/illustration/how-to-create-an-open-book-with-illustrators-3d-extrude-bevel-tool/
- 10 http://www.layersmagazine.com/blueprint-style-text-in-adobe-illustrator.html
- 11 http://vectortuts.com/text-effects/creating-an-environmentally-friendly-green-type-treatment/
- 12 http://vectips.com/tips/type-on-a-path-options/
- 13 http://www.blog.spoongraphics.co.uk/tutorials/how-to-create-your-own-cartoon-character
- 14 http://www.blog.spoongraphics.co.uk/tutorials/illustrator-tutorial-create-a-blissful-vector-scene
- 15 http://vectips.com/tutorials/create-abstract-backgrounds/
- 16 http://veerle.duoh.com/blog/comments/recolor_artwork_using_illustrators_livecolor/
- 17 http://vectips.com/tricks/extract-paths-from-mesh-shapes/
- 18 http://www.blog.spoongraphics.co.uk/tutorials/wrapping-text-around-an-image-in-illustrator
- 19 http://veerle.duoh.com/blog/comments/create_a_spiral_ornament_symbol_in_illustrator/
- 20 http://www.gomediazine.com/tutorials/illustrator/how-to-draw-vector-wings/
- 21 http://www.blog.spoongraphics.co.uk/tutorials/create-a-rotatable-globe-in-adobe-illustrator
- 22 http://www.gomediazine.com/tutorials/create-a-stunning-undersea-painting-using-vector-packs/
- 23 http://www.gomediazine.com/tutorials/a-pseudo-sugar-skull-from-start-to-finish/
- 24 http://vectips.com/tutorials/create-a-four-leaf-clover/
- 25 http://vectortuts.com/illustration/create-a-sidekick-lx-styled-vector-illustration/
- 26 http://www.blog.spoongraphics.co.uk/tutorials/how-to-create-a-vector-safari-compass-in-illustrator
- 27 http://www.bittbox.com/illustrator/working-with-illustrator-art-brushes-options-and-adjustments/
- 28 http://veerle.duoh.com/blog/comments/command_shape_in_illustrator/
- 29 http://www.layersmagazine.com/using-illustrators-mesh-tool-as-nature-intended.html
- 30 http://www.vectordiary.com/illustrator/using-the-symbol-tools/
- 31 http://www.vectordiary.com/illustrator/learn-illustrator-cs3-in-30-days/
- 32 http://www.vectordiary.com/illustrator/illustrator-disco-ball-tutorial/
- 33 http://www.vectordiary.com/illustrator/illustrator-tutorial-surprise-gift/
- 34 http://vectips.com/tutorials/creating-halftone-effects/
- 35 http://abduzeedo.com/crazy-cool-vectors-illustrator-and-photoshop
- 36 http://abduzeedo.com/swirl-mania-illustrator-photoshop
- 37 http://pinkzap.com/?p=418
- 38 http://vectortuts.com/illustration/design-gift-boxes-using-illustrators-3d-tools/
- 39 http://www.computerarts.co.uk/tutorials/2d__and__photoshop/envelope_distortion_in_illustrator
- 40 http://www.layersmagazine.com/background-designs.html
- 41 http://www.layersmagazine.com/silhouettes.html
- 42 http://vectips.com/tutorials/create-non-raster-drop-shadows/
- 43 http://www.aiburn.com/article/create_a_vector_home_cinema_design
- 44 http://www.gomediazine.com/design-tip/pattern-brush-illustrator/
- 45 http://www.webdesignerwall.com/tutorials/adobe-illustrator-shortcuts/
- 46 http://www.creativepro.com/article/tug-and-twirl-text-illustrator
- 47 http://www.creativepro.com/article/transform-a-busy-photo-a-strong-silhouette
- 48 /2008/02/05/illustrator-tutorials-best-of/
- 49 /2007/02/03/adobe-illustrator-tutorials/
Hold on, Tiger! Thank you for reading the article. Did you know that we also publish printed books and run friendly conferences – crafted for pros like you? Like SmashingConf New York, on June 14–15, with smart design patterns and front-end techniques.