As winter approaches and the nights draw in, our thoughts turn to the beauty of ice and snow. Winter photography, especially in the colder parts of the world, is a specialized niche. Photographers have to take care of their cameras and guard against frostbite and hypothermia. They often venture into remote wilderness searching for the perfect winter landscape. Their reward is stunning imagery. [Last updated: Oct/31/2016]
As a tribute to these hardy men and women, we bring you 50 wonderful winter pictures. We included both colorful photos (especially the colors of sunrise and sunset bring out the beauty of the winter landscape) and black-and-white photos (they bring out the contrast in tones between snow and the landscape). We’ve linked the photographers’ names to their portfolios or websites, so that you can explore their work. We’ve also listed some informative articles about cold-weather photography at the bottom of the post.
Further Reading on SmashingMag:
- Winter Wallpaper – Snow, Ice and Frost
- 35 Beautiful Examples of Rain Photography
- The Beauty Of Aerial Photography
- 50 Stunning Underwater Photos
- 25 Beautiful Macro Photography Shots
50 Beautiful Winter Wonderland Pictures
Av Clara Lidström
anders r. naesset
- 10 Amazing HDR Photos Of Winter
- Winter Landscapes
- ePHOTOzine - Severe cold-weather photography Interview with cold-weather photographer Jack Jackson.
- Surviving cold-weather photography Learn how to look after your camera gear.
- Ice safety