Using reflection in photography can lead to some amazing effects and beautiful images. Using water, windows, mirrors or any sort of reflective surface can change an image into a work of art. The wonderful thing about using reflections when taking photos is that they can completely alter the image from something fairly straightforward to something richer or abstract or otherwise more artistic.
Sometimes reflections can be annoying and certainly not artistic. But creativity and good-quality photos depend on the photographer being able to see things differently, rather than seeing only one part of a larger whole.
Also, using reflected light can vastly improve the quality of lighting available. Diffused light is generally better for taking photos, and using reflected light, either as the main source of light or for highlighting, is an excellent way to capture diffused light.
Whether you choose to use reflection in an artistic way or as a source of lightning, learning to use reflections in photography will help take your photographic skills to the next level.
Below we present over 50 beautiful examples of reflective photography. All examples are linked to their sources. Below, you can also explore other works of the photographers we’ve featured here.
Further Reading on SmashingMag:
- Beautiful Black-and-White Photography
- (Really) Stunning Pictures and Photos
- Let There Be Light: Light Painting and Sculptures
- 45 Beautiful Motion-Blur Photos
- 35 Beautiful Examples Of Rain Photography
Showcase Of Photos With Reflections:
Lars A. Giusti
AmsterS@m The Wicked Reflectah “Old School Beauty BMW reflected in a puddle in Amsterdam…no Photoshop, as usual, just some added saturation and contrast.”
- Examples Of Reflective and Symmetrical Phoography
- Amsterd@m Reflected Over 400 beautiful reflection shots of Amsterdam, Holland.
- The Best Pictures Of Reflection Flickr Group
- Reflection Award Flickr Group